• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

left the house at 4am, skied until almost to 4 and got home around 830. Great day at the Loaf with a dear friend who I've known for almost 50 years and with whom we both skied at SLoaf for the first time 41 years ago while freshman in college. Pack is deep, the conditions were quite good, some early wind holds left only King Pine open early in the day but the SuperQuad and Skyline lifts both came on line before 11. Another great day in western Maine.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

67 y.o. skier was killed at Wachusett this morning after hitting a tree.

Sucks

Happened on Oxbow Chute. That little chute right off 10th at mid-mtn. I hit it on Sat and it was the worst trail condition wise on the whole mtn. Starting to get thin and skied off with bumps forming. I'm sure it firmed up overnight with the low Temps. I'm not even sure if it's a groomer. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, subdude said:

Happened on Oxbow Chute. That little chute right off 10th at mid-mtn. I hit it on Sat and it was the worst trail condition wise on the whole mtn. Starting to get thin and skied off with bumps forming. I'm sure it firmed up overnight with the low Temps. I'm not even sure if it's a groomer. 

Yeah. I hate that trail.  I will ski it once or twice per season to remind myself why

20 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

67 y.o. skier was killed at Wachusett this morning after hitting a tree.

Sucks

Sucks for so many reasons.  The family of the person and the entire resort staff really feel that stuff.  It puts it all in perspective whenever you hear of a possible fatal occurring on the radio in real time.  Everyone remembers we do this thing called skiing just for fun and yes you never truly know but life altering things happen from one wrong turn.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sucks for so many reasons.  The family of the person and the entire resort staff really feel that stuff.  It puts it all in perspective whenever you hear of a possible fatal occurring on the radio in real time.  Everyone remembers we do this thing called skiing just for fun and yes you never truly know but life altering things happen from one wrong turn.

The trail he died on is visible from their main lift.  It sounds like someone riding the lift saw it and called it into ski patrol or 911.  It is a short, narrow one that is very unforgiving.   Straight with big trees on each side. I don’t enjoy it because it ices up easily 

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

I just got the “don’t bother fixing these” at the repair shop so it’s time..demo’d stockli storm rider 88s and liked them..head kore were good too…currently in volkls and want something different…thoughts??!

like the rip sticks too. Glade and steeps skier.

if you want an 'all mountain' ski with a lean toward softer snow, the Salomon QST series is worth checking out

• Like 1

From Mammoth Mtn page  3/25

What struck me as 90" of water in the snowpack.  I guess if New England averages 40" or so inches of rain per year the Sierra could have that much water in the snowpack. 

According to the old ski patrol records we have in-house, this season has now beaten out 2011 for inches of snowfall and 1969 for the amount of water that has fallen in the snowpack. As of now, there are over 90 inches of water recorded in the snow at Mammoth Pass. With more snow and cool days ahead over the next week who knows maybe the 700-inch mark at the 9000-foot level will be within reach.
With all the snow on the ground, Mammoth Mountain announced on Tuesday that they plan to run for winter sports at the Main Lodge through at least the month of July. If there happens to be a cooler summer they plan to run longer and hopefully beat the closing day record set in 1995 on August 14th.”
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:50 AM, powderfreak said:

The one and only time I ever went skiing I was in college. Learned the basics and stayed on beginner paths, but one run I picked up too much speed and couldn’t slow down. 

At the end of the path was a little “cliff”, like a 5-10 ft drop and I knew that I either halted my momentum or I was going down really ugly. Ended up hitting a tree. I was fine, but that was the end of skiing for me. 

Great morning at Wildcat. It was reported as four inches but felt more like six inches or more in some spots. With a groomed surface underneath and/or nothing too frozen, all the terrain skied well. I did a couple runs under the chair and some ungroomed terrain and both were fun. Very stoked to have March deliver so much winter goodness! The mountain has a ton of snow on it, three more weekends to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right now is when Wildcat shines. They just announced they were adding a 'bonus' weekend - patriot's day weekend and they aren't even staying open on the Monday! - which kind of drives me nuts...loved how Wildcat use to push it to the very end. 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 11:55 AM, HoarfrostHubb said:

The trail he died on is visible from their main lift.  It sounds like someone riding the lift saw it and called it into ski patrol or 911.  It is a short, narrow one that is very unforgiving.   Straight with big trees on each side. I don’t enjoy it because it ices up easily 

Is that the old Salamander cutoff trail? Or is this a new trail that I haven’t seen before? (Haven’t skied WaWa in years)

The situation out west is wild.  It just keeps snowing.  These places have already broken record snowfalls and it just keeps going.  Another 1-2 feet expected later this week before another system hits over the weekend.  It's like feet of snow in the Wasatch/Cottonwood Canyons every 2-3 days another one rolls through.

Screen%20Shot%202023-03-27%20at%205.51.3

• Like 2

21 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

15 year old kid from Boston died at Pats Peak yesterday. tragic. I skied there Friday night and conditions weren’t bad and it wasn’t icy, so I’m not sure what happened. 

Yeah, the article I read didn’t seem to indicate that he hit anything.  Hit a bump and landed hard. 

Got in a great day at Dutch Hill Tuesday.  Just so happened that I had the day off! Weather was decent,  1” at the bottom and about 3” at the top. Snow bonded perfectly with the snow underneath creating an almost perfect skiing surface.  This coupled with a bottomless base made it one of my top days(which says a lot)! Ran into my friend as he was leaving but otherwise there was no one else there.  Could not really ask for anything better.  Sun even poked out from time to time.

A26C7396-C19C-490F-ADF7-C469942A5582.jpeg

F65A1AE8-40E6-4266-8216-32448DA4009F.jpeg

1B8264BF-7134-43FC-B217-8D82E241E7C6.jpeg

B321A4AE-4294-494D-8142-B6FA7166482F.jpeg

• Like 3

skied at Jay Tuesday, Bolton yesterday - as I posted in another thread skiing was fine on Tuesday and yesterday was a spectacular day at Bolton. Skiing with my 12 year old nephew, up from MD and after looking at @powderfreak comment about the conditions at the picnic tables this AM and ski reports from MRG have decided to forego skiing today - a rarity for me but not sure of how enjoyable the conditions or temperatures and wind will be for me or my friend!

• Like 1

Wildcat skied well this morning. Three inches of snow fell before they groomed last night and temperatures on the upper half did get a bit below freezing so there was a tiny crust on the groomed surfaces, while the lower half was just buttery soft. It rained a bit for first chair and then sprinkled for the next couple of hours. Probably 100 people at the mountain when I left at 1030, very enjoyable to make fresh turns on every run for two hours. Welcome to April!

• Like 2