• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Two photos this morning at WaWa - posted earlier there was about 16" on the summit. Snow was super dense and actually not particularly fun to ski...the 93 under foot wasn't the right tool! Beautiful on the mountain though.

WaWa0314232.jpg

WaWa314231.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, bwt3650 said:

For purna and westway to be open, you know it was a crazy storm in the Catskills. First time in about 3 seasons.

66ddc48a1083075c0c5bbbea556f7c09.jpg

Way over-performer at jay too..15-20 and snowing on and off til the weekend.

I don't know how Westway is open. It's more saplings than trees at this point.

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

It’s a shame how they let those two go. Some of the best terrain on the mountain…I think they both have snowmaking too if they wanted it.

They have cut the liftline this year and along the fence.  They are letting the middle grow in.  Also, the top 1/5 was cut and the bottom third all mowed.

30" reported at Magic, and it certainly skied like it!

IMG-0470.thumb.jpg.9aa9ec5c3af25a3d062a807d70da6e31.jpg

Note the pole for depth (with some slantsticking). The mountain sold out so most runs got quickly tracked up, but the trees were incredibly deep and untouched all morning. Unfortunately, around noon high winds took down a tree which cut the power source to the mountain so they had to shut down. They are giving out a free day voucher to everyone who bought a ticket, shout out Magic for the great customer service and working so quickly to amend an unfortunate situation!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Unfortunately, around noon high winds took down a tree which cut the power source to the mountain so they had to shut down. They are giving out a free day voucher to everyone who bought a ticket, shout out Magic for the great customer service and working so quickly to amend an unfortunate situation!

Their website said they were limiting ticket sales anyway to try to limit lift line queues to 20 minutes. Was thinking of getting there on Friday but think there is going to be too much non-frozen precipitation.

8 minutes ago, Boston Bulldog said:

IMG-0470.thumb.jpg.9aa9ec5c3af25a3d062a807d70da6e31.jpg

Note the pole for depth (with some slantsticking). The mountain sold out so most runs got quickly tracked up, but the trees were incredibly deep and untouched all morning. Unfortunately, around noon high winds took down a tree which cut the power source to the mountain so they had to shut down. They are giving out a free day voucher to everyone who bought a ticket, shout out Magic for the great customer service and working so quickly to amend an unfortunate situation!

Hey I was also there! Wish I knew the mountain a bit better (2nd time there, first in about ten years and actually the day Nemo was touching down, and with full coverage) but I was about the 10th skier down red line and then had a great run in the wardrobe trees. I thought the snow was on the heavy side of medium density and a touch wind affected but that made it all the more surfy! Overall four great runs before the power cut out. 

13 minutes ago, MRVexpat said:

Hey I was also there! Wish I knew the mountain a bit better (2nd time there, first in about ten years and actually the day Nemo was touching down, and with full coverage) but I was about the 10th skier down red line and then had a great run in the wardrobe trees. I thought the snow was on the heavy side of medium density and a touch wind affected but that made it all the more surfy! Overall four great runs before the power cut out. 

Wardrobe was phenomenal today, took 2 runs down it. One of my favorite tree zones in the East, especially the final steep pitch. I love how the steep/tight pines in that area dump out into a shallow glade of hardwoods. Really allows you to pick up some speed and take aggressive lines without worrying about losing control because it opens up just in time.

• Like 1

Pretty special couple days in northern VT, and across NE from the looks of it. Yesterday and today were probably the best inbounds ski days I've had here since the big March in 2018.  The lowball forecast and maybe some end of winter apathy really cut the crowds down.

And the stake soaring above average during peak seasonal depth is huge. Everything is skiing like it should right now which feels great after a few poor seasons in a row.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Anyone ski today? A Little warmth, a little rain and now cold. How did the snow hold up. Icy?

It got smoked up here. Much worse snow quality than anticipated.  Didn’t rain much but doesn’t take much either.  Just enough to get the snow wet then freeze it.

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

Anyone ski today? A Little warmth, a little rain and now cold. How did the snow hold up. Icy?

Skied at Wildcat and it was firm throughout and rigid in some sections and some sections of slickness ice.  All things considered it was New England typical, but surely much different than the conditions of the past month.  I think todays sun, lower humidity, and dropping temperatures will make sunday morning better.  Still great to get out there, so I'm grateful.

I nordic skied in the morning at Jackson Ski Touring Ctr using my Indy Pass. I drove up Carter Notch Road and skied in their Prospect Farm area - the highest elevation terrain. A ton of snow and the conditions were great although things were softening when I finished just before noon. I then drove over to Black Mtn thinking I'd use my IndyPass there too. Wrong, only one redemption per day allowed! I was booted up and standing at the ticket window when this came to my attention... I sucked it up and bought a half day ticket. Only the mid mountain lift was open - not sure why the summit lift wasn't - anyway, the snow was sticky and the available terrain was tame. Anything that was in the sun and hadn't gotten snowmaking was almost bare and closed. Just a spectacular day weather wise... 

9 minutes ago, Hitman said:

Today was about the worst conditions I can recall in awhile.  Only thing worse than the ungroomed trails, we’re the groomed runs.  Skating rink.  
yesterday was great though.  Snowing now.

This was my afternoon update.  Apologies if there are any grammatical errors, I write these every day quickly to record the day and look ahead.

Try to thread the line between reality and hope.  Past, present, future.  

207290578_March18PMUpdate.thumb.jpg.a5f5048e2226df5d44674f1bd7a5647b.jpg

• Like 1

Thunderbolt ski trail was great Friday! I’m pretty slow on the skin track but I managed to do the 2300 foot ascent in a little less than 2 hours.  The skin track was pretty well worn in and a little icy in places but I managed to make it.

Views from the top were fairly clear looking out toward the east.  Wind was slightly strong but not unmanageable and there was no rain.

The descent was as fun as always.  Resort intermediate pitch for the most part but with natural conditions.  Snow was fast and packed from the top until  the trail leaves the AT.  The rest skied well, finding untouched in the side woods was much better than the middle of the trail.  Over all a great tour, I’m glad I got up there, it’s been a few years. 

C83990F8-DCB3-4E70-A4DA-A4D29710901B.jpeg

6F6515B1-AEEF-4E5D-AB88-EC1C580209BF.jpeg

783269BB-03FB-48C9-BC92-251F8EDC2BAB.jpeg

FA12469C-22E4-4763-8694-3BBB962051E0.jpeg

78D4A37D-B28F-43AA-8FC2-F50869CD3F63.jpeg

• Like 6

This was my afternoon update.  Apologies if there are any grammatical errors, I write these every day quickly to record the day and look ahead.
Try to thread the line between reality and hope.  Past, present, future.  
207290578_March18PMUpdate.thumb.jpg.a5f5048e2226df5d44674f1bd7a5647b.jpg

Those 12z runs certainly provide some hope. Been going back and forth between wash outs and powder last 3 days. Trends are encouraging, but I’m not sold yet.

5 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Those 12z runs certainly provide some hope. Been going back and forth between wash outs and powder last 3 days. Trends are encouraging, but I’m not sold yet.

It was much better already.  High Road plot had over 3” at 8:30am.  At least another 2” maybe more since then.

CA00285A-B010-442F-8810-4BC247977EAB.jpeg.1ef8137210a85131c6a53efcfa81a5e6.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It was much better already.  High Road plot had over 3” at 8:30am.  At least another 2” maybe more since then.

CA00285A-B010-442F-8810-4BC247977EAB.jpeg.1ef8137210a85131c6a53efcfa81a5e6.jpeg

Today was shockingly good at Lincoln peak.  An inch last night and at least another this morning.  Was expecting dust on crust but it was much better than that.  Even skied some woods.