• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Mad River Glen was a great time yesterday!  Place was pretty empty with both the single and double chairs being ski on.  Snow was nice and soft up top which made for some fun turns in the woods. Trails are getting pretty thin but they still skied well. They did close a few more. Lower half of the mountain was very sticky. None of this stopped us fully from skiing our favorite lines but we did so with a real abundance of caution.  My whole body is very sore today.  
Sadly, they are going to take a beating the next couple weeks.  Fingers cross things can turn around again late month. 

A047C23A-4927-4502-89A0-25941AA579E3.jpeg

87F8323D-91E2-4829-ADED-D989BD923F50.jpeg

1D8C4401-274F-4CBA-8B9B-73639847A77D.jpeg

094FC95C-86E8-4F30-90DE-E6A7004B8473.jpeg

• Like 8

Did the afternoon shift at Wildcat and it skied well, generally loose snow and the normal sections of frozen, and a bit slow (but fun) in the high-sun areas. The high speed quad was in low speed mode, so while it took 15 minutes to get up top, it helped even more so to keep the crowds to non-existent which allows for a complete cruise downhill without worrying about people. Winter and Sun, awesome!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mcglups said:

Did the afternoon shift at Wildcat and it skied well, generally loose snow and the normal sections of frozen, and a bit slow (but fun) in the high-sun areas. The high speed quad was in low speed mode, so while it took 15 minutes to get up top, it helped even more so to keep the crowds to non-existent which allows for a complete cruise downhill without worrying about people. Winter and Sun, awesome!

They seem to have a decent amount of issues with that Quad , why is that ?

11 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

They seem to have a decent amount of issues with that Quad , why is that ?

Might have been wind and not mechanical? We had our Quad running at like 600 feet a min instead of 1000 fpm due to strong wind at the summit terminal on Friday I think it was.  Yesterday Gondola started on wind hold.

But remember, slower than normal speeds are usually wind related over mechanical.  Mechanical is usually closed lift, there isn’t a whole lot of mechanical reasons a lift would run slow over fast.  There’s an evac motor that runs very slow but that’s a one-time thing to get people off.

My guess would be on wind. Lift Ops turns the speeds down. You can basically lower the lift speed until it’s at the point of what the “slow” button does and then it goes on hold.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Might have been wind and not mechanical? We had our Quad running at like 600 feet a min instead of 1000 fpm due to strong wind at the summit terminal on Friday I think it was.  Yesterday Gondola started on wind hold.

But remember, slower than normal speeds are usually wind related over mechanical.  Mechanical is usually closed lift, there isn’t a whole lot of mechanical reasons a lift would run slow over fast.  There’s an evac motor that runs very slow but that’s a one-time thing to get people off.

My guess would be on wind. Lift Ops turns the speeds down. You can basically lower the lift speed until it’s at the point of what the “slow” button does and then it goes on hold.

I meant why do they have weekly issues .

Maybe a season pass holder there would know . 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Oh, thought it was spurred by yesterdays comment.  Season pass holders usually don’t know real reasons but they know rumors, ha.

I will say... that if I have to ski on a weekend or take a weekend ..and there is good snow / weather conditions wildcat is Gonna be at the top of my list . Assuming the quad is running lol. One reason they are at the top is their tiny  parking lot , they can’t become a zoo like other places become .  Just get there b4 it fills up and they send you to attitash 

All weekend long, so many woods lines remained fresh.  Stowe saw heavy crowds on Saturday.  It was a high-end day.  Traffic was slow on arrival but not stopped like it was in recent years.  The mountain never ran out of parking spots, just a lot of people arriving at the same exact time on a 2-lane road.

Either way, the people are not skiing the woods lines immediately next to major groomed trails.

Feb_post.thumb.jpg.2d0e7ae34eb3981fe23700d022e26d29.jpg

Feb_post3.thumb.jpg.9a4cc861825a306b9c206b1f64f06810.jpg

Feb_post2.thumb.jpg.89eda22361d8d805c63437504526e901.jpg

• Like 2

All weekend long, so many woods lines remained fresh.  Stowe saw heavy crowds on Saturday.  It was a high-end day.  Traffic was slow on arrival but not stopped like it was in recent years.  The mountain never ran out of parking spots, just a lot of people arriving at the same exact time on a 2-lane road.
Either way, the people are not skiing the woods lines immediately next to major groomed trails.
Feb_post.thumb.jpg.2d0e7ae34eb3981fe23700d022e26d29.jpg
Feb_post3.thumb.jpg.9a4cc861825a306b9c206b1f64f06810.jpg
Feb_post2.thumb.jpg.89eda22361d8d805c63437504526e901.jpg

Interesting..woods were skied hard here. Great weekend tho. Perfect temps, winds died quick after yesterday morning.

18 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Interesting..woods were skied hard here. Great weekend tho. Perfect temps, winds died quick after yesterday morning.

Anything not on the map not getting a lot of traffic at all. All season it’s been so easy to find untracked.  Many locals went to Sugarbush this year and the benefit is low hanging fruit being untracked.

This has been a sneaky good week of skiing so far, cold enough at night for things to set up, warm enough by first chair to get that first layer to soften up a bit. Not corn either, just a totally ripping surface that lasts till about noon. Of course with weekend traffic it will by bye bye around 10 am. Helps that a lot of resorts have the guns on in anticipation of a gnarly start to vacation week. It's seasons like this that remind me that even if we warm another 2c globally, we will still be skiing in the northeast. 

• Like 2

What a difference a day makes. Hit sugarbush today. Sticky, heavy and slick. The snow was garbage on anything natural. Injury type stuff where the heaviness sneaks up on you after an icy patch. Groomers with man made stuff were obviously the place to be and much better. Sugarbush is going to lose the naturals, though they are pretty aggressive and might try and hang on. Had to pick your lines carefully on paradise.

1c7ca2786dbc57f82723fcc9eca82dfb.jpg
515e452b2c89c8b527dfb71b8b51c54e.jpg
77c62f957cbf8d8e522930eba5f19635.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Burke

Good one! I always forget about them.  Even Bolton Valley gets pretty busy during these holiday weeks, but nothing like the major resorts… but I bet Burke is probably one of the quietest.

With all that said, a place that’s quiet/empty during President’s Weekend is great for the skier but can’t be good for longevity of sustainable business.  Definitely a double edged sword.

With that said, definitely an interesting observation today from Stowe.  The value pass (Epic Local) was blacked out today and despite pretty full parking lots, the FourRunner Quad was empty.  The beginner lifts at Spruce were packed though, and rentals had a record day.

This was midday at Saturday on President’s Weekend at the lift that usually has the line… while the beginner lifts are packed.

It got me thinking the more advanced skiers  and riders probably understood the conditions and had more awareness to recent weather.  But also, when you are new to skiing/riding, an infrequent visitor and with friends… you are likely to not care about conditions and the conditions honestly don’t matter as much too.  A groomed beginner run is a groomed beginner run.

C9649C15-C86E-4CC0-8F37-9E4FD0166315.thumb.jpeg.92a363dc6831a51029404a8feaedbfe9.jpeg

Good one! I always forget about them.  Even Bolton Valley gets pretty busy during these holiday weeks, but nothing like the major resorts… but I bet Burke is probably one of the quietest.
With all that said, a place that’s quiet/empty during President’s Weekend is great for the skier but can’t be good for longevity of sustainable business.  Definitely a double edged sword.

They have so much going for them I hope they can get out from under receivership and into an owner who can help them grow. Literally 5 minutes from a New England interstate, terrain built for speed, good woods and a decent beginner pod with its own high speed quad. They lack the upslope, so whoever buys them should probably dump every cent they can into snowmaking and marketing, but it’s such an underrated spot.

• Like 2