• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Has anyone here been to Mount Bachelor? Friend of mine has a place in Bend for a month.  I might pull the trigger and head out for a few days over February vacation.  Probably ski Mount Hood Meadows too.

My son is in grad school in Oregon so I’ve skied Bachelor and Hood Meadows. Both are amazing for different reasons. Avoid Timberline…. Boring as heck. Bachelor is huge and when the summit lift is open it’s pretty epic. Not really any extreme stuff, but lots of great cruisers, trees and meadows. Get on the road from Bend early on buddy days as the access road can get crowded. Hood Meadows is epic! Heather and Clark canyon are some of the coolest places that I have skied. So huge, you feel like a speck lol. Some really fun steeps too. They are gate access and then there is s lift to take you out at the bottom. Skiing under Mt. Hood is Awe inspiring. We also skied Hood Ski Bowl one day. No frills, old lifts but done really great terrain. Hoodoo is fun too! One day there. Super cheap. I think Thursdays are like $25 at Hoodoo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, snowfan said:

Outside of heli skiing in Alaska, it’s hard to beat little cottonwood canyon when they get locked into a good cycle. It just dumps there. Here’s a pretty cool article and vid on what it’s like to be there when they go into interlodge. https://www.alta.com/stories/interlodge

Love this video.  I was stuck in an inter lodge at the Peruvian in Alta a dozen or so years ago for 12 hours, but the skiing available after release before the Canyon opened was epic.  Only downside was I lost a ski in deep powder and despite powder straps took me 25 minutes to find it.  My girlfriend ar the time, now my wife, helped me look for a bit then ditched me because powder was too good.  I couldn’t blame her.

• Like 3

Awesome video! Fortunately I’ll be in SLC in Feb, but Unfortunately we’re staying at the base of the canyon so I’m if there are deep days I probably won’t be able to get there lol. 6 nights lodging in SLC same as 1 night at Alta or Snowbird!
  • Sad 1

Ski’d Sunapee today , pretty big crowds . Conditions were so so , thankfully they make some snow but you know the drill by late am traffic . Nice boiler plate lurking underneath , but most spots had enough man made Over it that it was decent . Certainly don’t regret going . Just took the quad express all day . 5-10 min lines right before lunch .

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

@STILL N OF PIKE Alta at 395" on season now with another 12"+ over next couple days.  My guess is gonna be low for months end. 

I don’t even think I could ski powder...gimme groomers and just not boiler plate and I’m more than content . 

Looks like Arizona , Taos, and S Colorado is finally getting some goods with this latest storm 

Thinking of going to Stratton tomorrow. Is it worth it? Icy and long lines ain’t my jam. Amy first hand info from VT skiing this weekend would be appreciated.

Jay was classic east coast holiday skiing. Groomed, edgeable til 1030, then skied off. Not terrible tho. Fast, firm and pick your spots, but nothing great. Crowds were manageable. Lots of lifts helped and jay got up to 45 trails today.

• Like 2

Amazing views today.  Truly high end stuff.  The rime ice was crazy.

NWS observation camera for MMNV1 snow depth (The Stake) is down. In the past and currently, we crowd source photos and observations when this happens.  Yesterday a colleague  went up there, today it was my turn.

22" snow depth in that long-term location.  It gives something to compare to, the period of record is awesome for this high elevation site.

Jan_15_stake.thumb.jpg.f1a060ae6df7de92cafc066c313dd6ba.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Amazing views today.  Truly high end stuff.  The rime ice was crazy.

NWS observation camera for MMNV1 snow depth (The Stake) is down. In the past and currently, we crowd source photos and observations when this happens.  Yesterday a colleague  went up there, today it was my turn.

22" snow depth in that long-term location.  It gives something to compare to, the period of record is awesome for this high elevation site.

Jan_15_stake.thumb.jpg.f1a060ae6df7de92cafc066c313dd6ba.jpg

The period of record may be awesome but the depth it is recording for this year, not so much. 

• Haha 1

I'm frugal, I consume PBJs, bags of nuts and/or carrots and a nalgene's bottle worth of water brought from home whenever I ski...have to admit though, it was kind of fun sitting down with a menu and waiter everyday in Austria at XMAS.

• Like 1

I'm frugal, I consume PBJs, bags of nuts and/or carrots and a nalgene's bottle worth of water brought from home whenever I ski...have to admit though, it was kind of fun sitting down with a menu and waiter everyday in Austria at XMAS.

I heard food, lift tickets and lodging are very reasonable in Austria. What was your experience?

• Like 1

tickets averaged out to $60/day when purchased in 5, 6, 7 day increments. It was XMAS so bed rates were probably almost 2X standard rates. We had dinner at a very nice hotel in downtown Lech and I think the xmas rate was 1,800 euro per night. It's now 1,100 euro or less for remainder of season. The place we stayed is now about $200 per night - nothing fancy but clean and nice and a 10 minute walk into downtown. Equivalent food was probably about the same - note: I eat pizza, BBQ and Mexican when out west! so our dinners were definitely more upscale) but there was no cafeteria options for lunch that I saw, it was a waiter in lederhosen (or the St. Pauli girl) taking your order. It was all very nice. Definitely a different kind of ski experience - and very enjoyable even with sub-par snow - than I've done in NE, CO, NM, UT, WY, MT, ID, BC for sure. Lech is part of Arlberg/St. Anton and definitely caters to an upscale clientele - we spoke to some Americans who stayed in St. Christoph - a smaller village - for what they implied was less $$ but they ate all their meals at their hotel and they said it was great but their options in the town were very limited to non-existent.

• Like 2

tickets averaged out to $60/day when purchased in 5, 6, 7 day increments. It was XMAS so bed rates were probably almost 2X standard rates. We had dinner at a very nice hotel in downtown Lech and I think the xmas rate was 1,800 euro per night. It's now 1,100 euro or less for remainder of season. The place we stayed is now about $200 per night - nothing fancy but clean and nice and a 10 minute walk into downtown. Equivalent food was probably about the same - note: I eat pizza, BBQ and Mexican when out west! so our dinners were definitely more upscale) but there was no cafeteria options for lunch that I saw, it was a waiter in lederhosen (or the St. Pauli girl) taking your order. It was all very nice. Definitely a different kind of ski experience - and very enjoyable even with sub-par snow - than I've done in NE, CO, NM, UT, WY, MT, ID, BC for sure. Lech is part of Arlberg/St. Anton and definitely caters to an upscale clientele - we spoke to some Americans who stayed in St. Christoph - a smaller village - for what they implied was less $$ but they ate all their meals at their hotel and they said it was great but their options in the town were very limited to non-existent.

Cool, thanks for the info. Gotta figure out my retirement celebration ski trip Winter 24/25. Austria is definitely on my list.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, eyewall said:

49 inches so far at the Arizona Snowbowl with the latest rounds of snow.

Looks like Wolf Creek , Co will put up a 50” spot from this 3 day system by am as well.

Pretty wild how Mammoth to Alta has been locked in but the resorts 150 miles south / SE missed most of the moisture till lately 

About 8 years ago, my son and I had a Telluride-Taos vacation planned and it stopped snowing in Taos so we audibled and spent 2 days at Wolf Creek instead. The vertical is only 1.500' but runs along a ridge for a mile plus and you can ski everything. They consistently get the most snow in CO. There is no resort just the ski area. Lot's of Texans and folks from Arkansas which is hilarious. Only been to Taos once and the terrain is awesome.

• Like 1