• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

This latest cutter might do it for me. Will reassess after the long weekend but I have a strong hunch I will be out west before the month is over....what a nightmare. It will stay warm and wet right through Feb vacation and then start dumping once the average consumer loses interest, now that's how you run a ski season on the east coast....

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Just keep checking out west... I love that they are now at 300+ inches so far this season for the Wasatch, they are issuing Winter Weather Advisories for like 10-20" of snow and locally higher in the Cottonwoods.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING
TO 5 PM MST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 16
  inches with 10 to 20 inches in the central Wasatch and Uintas,
  locally higher amounts in the Upper Cottonwoods.

on like 1" qpf no less. When I was out there last spring all my local buds were complaining how they haven't had a real wasatch snow year in years, saying it might be over forever, CC has ruined the lightest snow on earth etc. etc. Actually sounded a lot like the this subforum for the past month. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Just keep checking out west... I love that they are now at 300+ inches so far this season for the Wasatch, they are issuing Winter Weather Advisories for like 10-20" of snow and locally higher in the Cottonwoods.

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM THIS MORNING
TO 5 PM MST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 8 to 16
  inches with 10 to 20 inches in the central Wasatch and Uintas,
  locally higher amounts in the Upper Cottonwoods.

Brighton and Alta neck and neck at 331" and 330".  That's nuts as they enter peak climo.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

on like 1" qpf no less. When I was out there last spring all my local buds were complaining how they haven't had a real wasatch snow year in years, saying it might be over forever, CC has ruined the lightest snow on earth etc. etc. Actually sounded a lot like the this subforum for the past month. 

Haha, they’ve actually passed a couple recent season snowfall totals so far.  They’ve had some low 300s totals that everyone says are terrible winters, lol.  Now they pass it in early January.

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Haha, they’ve actually passed a couple recent season snowfall totals so far.  They’ve had some low 300s totals that everyone says are terrible winters, lol.  Now they pass it in early January.

I think Alta/Snowbird have has some seasons close to 700"

• Like 1

Just now, radarman said:

Wasnt't it just last year that Alta was snowed in for days and days?

Last year or the year before that?  They get those every year.  They had one a couple weeks ago.  70 inches, multi-day Interlodge closure.

But I think I remember the one you are talking about.  It’s funny they can get like a 70-inch storm and have a shitty season too if it’s only 375”.

Yeah nice pulse moving through the N.Greens.  Radar doesn’t see upslope up near Jay as the beam is often above the low level snow.
B897D9BB-419A-41D2-8C29-8FBE09D35C7E.jpeg.08a6c9f9077a2f020bcfeba4078a35cc.jpeg

3k had it through about 5am. I’d take a quick 5 tmrw to freshen it up. Not going to open much, but they’ve been pretty aggressive with the lack of terrain, so maybe grab a few. Really hoping new owner upgrades snowmaking. This year has highlighted it. They can’t handle more than one trail at a time and it’s about a week to blow, drain, push etc. no refreshing problem areas either. Would love to see them grab 5 fan guns over the summer at least.

• Like 1

sorry guys, this is my fault. I got back into skiing this year after a long hiatus, actually bought a season pass. been out one time so far, and the prognosis is not good going forward 

Na, crap year but the averages say there’s still good days to be had. The people who I feel for the most are those that book 5-7 day once a year trips and then walk into this. Jan always a roll of the dice, but if you are a once or twice a year skier, this sucks.

And welcome back, dude!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

3k had it through about 5am. I’d take a quick 5 tmrw to freshen it up. Not going to open much, but they’ve been pretty aggressive with the lack of terrain, so maybe grab a few. Really hoping new owner upgrades snowmaking. This year has highlighted it. They can’t handle more than one trail at a time and it’s about a week to blow, drain, push etc. no refreshing problem areas either. Would love to see them grab 5 fan guns over the summer at least.

The new fixed mount fan guns are expensive but incredible technology. Pleasant has invested significantly over the last 4 years in them and was able to resurface all their high traffic terrain over the past 24 hours and they are blowing a ton of snow elsewhere to get things open for MLK. Doesn’t hurt having unlimited water from the lake right next door. These are the years where resorts with the best systems really shine. Today felt like a real mid winter day. Trending next weekend into 4-6” gain would help a ton. 

• Like 3

The new fixed mount fan guns are expensive but incredible technology. Pleasant has invested significantly over the last 4 years in them and was able to resurface all their high traffic terrain over the past 24 hours and they are blowing a ton of snow elsewhere to get things open for MLK. Doesn’t hurt having unlimited water from the lake right next door. These are the years where resorts with the best systems really shine. Today felt like a real mid winter day. Trending next weekend into 4-6” gain would help a ton. 

Agreed..especially busier weekends it doesn’t matter if you have jays snow totals or the poconos, certain high traffic areas get beat. Even when the snow is not here, they have the temps. They really could have blown all week and with the right system, add at least 2-3 trails. I think the water supply is the main issue. Not sure what it would take to expand or if they need more air. Pf might know more, but I know the snowmaking pond was too low even to finish the build out on ullrs last season with the dry Dec/Jan.

I expected this year would be a quiet, evaluation type year for pacific; let’s see what they have to say once the season is over. There are lift needs as well.

2 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Agreed..especially busier weekends it doesn’t matter if you have jays snow totals or the poconos, certain high traffic areas get beat. Even when the snow is not here, they have the temps. They really could have blown all week and with the right system, add at least 2-3 trails. I think the water supply is the main issue. Not sure what it would take to expand or if they need more air. Pf might know more, but I know the snowmaking pond was too low even to finish the build out on ullrs last season with the dry Dec/Jan.

I expected this year would be a quiet, evaluation type year for pacific; let’s see what they have to say once the season is over. There are lift needs as well.

Jay could really use a snowmaking upgrade like you say. I’ve experienced the Jay cloud, but have also experienced a frozen, windy chunk of ice. Snowmaking is one thing Boyne does right, all their Maine mountains do an above average job with above average infrastructure but also benefit from great water sources. 

2 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

Wildcat and attitash no. That’s why everyone goes to Cranmore and Bretton woods. 

Cranmore is a little turd of a mountain thou and overloaded with kids and it’s also just easy to get to from hotels in N Conway  , Ive ski’d it twice but man I’m stuck with those 3 on my epic pass

Cranmore is a little turd of a mountain thou and overloaded with kids and it’s also just easy to get to from hotels in N Conway  , Ive ski’d it twice but man I’m stuck with those 3 on my epic pass

It’s not epic, but I was just at loon and they have that place lit up. Really impressive snowmaking. Trails were icy af though.

37 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

This post hit me.  Makes me feel good to know the smaller areas are doing it right.  The future looks bright.

3 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

It’s not epic, but I was just at loon and they have that place lit up. Really impressive snowmaking. Trails were icy af though.

Well I have 5 says left on my specific pass and I’m definitely not paying to ski until I use those up . My options are crotched, Sunapee, attitash , wildcat . Sounds like I should just wait for February and maybe it snows , thou I can go mid week to Stowe but it’s not really a day trip 

Well I have 5 says left on my specific pass and I’m definitely not paying to ski until I use those up . My options are crotched, Sunapee, attitash , wildcat . Sounds like I should just wait for February and maybe it snows , thou I can go mid week to Stowe but it’s not really a day trip 

Okemo?? I’ve heard they been killing it in the snowmaking and grooming department this year.

18 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Okemo?? I’ve heard they been killing it in the snowmaking and grooming department this year.

Yeah Okemo has had very high remarks all season.  They’ve been annual contenders for snow surfaces and snowmaking regardless of the ownership.  Their local Ops team is one of the best operators.