Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

8 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

I agree…Killington will own skiing for the next ten days! This is when they can shine.

You might be surprised because as awesome as Killington is, so much of what has been open was natural snow. It’s remarkable the difference between Thursday and Friday in terms of how many trails are skiable. It’s going to be pretty bleak as far as trail count by later next week.  

• Like 2

You might be surprised because as awesome as Killington is, so much of what has been open was natural snow. It’s remarkable the difference between Thursday and Friday in terms of how many trails are skiable. It’s going to be pretty bleak as far as trail count by later next week.  

No doubt they will take a hit too..but killington has the most snowmaking trails open, which is all that is left in Vermont. They also have the most snowmaking fire power in Vermont and the ability to take advantage of even short windows, where some other resorts won’t blow for just 6-8 hours. Until the next big natural dump, I think they’ll recover best. This is bad though; it’s a complete rebuild in some areas.

Out west just continues to get hammered.

What a time to be alive out there.  Provo Mountains in Utah are just getting smoked on south/southwest flow.

****Utah Avalanche Center**** Provo Mountains

Overnight snow totals are 10"/1.57" SWE and it's still snowing. Winds are out of the southwest, blowing 20mph with gusts to 30. Temps are in the upper 20s and low 30s.
Storm snow and water numbers are unbelievable and I cannot remember this much snow-water-equivalent in this short of time in my tenure. I'll have to look back at the old charts. The mid-mountain snowstake has picked up - since Friday morning -
  • 42"/7.67" SWE (That is not a typo)
THE DANGER IN THE PROVO MOUNTAINS IS EXTREME. LARGE, LONG RUNNING DESTRUCTIVE AVALANCHES ARE EXPECTED.
AVOID ALL AVALANCHE TERRAIN.
AVOID THE RUNOUTS OF STEEP AVALANCHE PATHS.
  • Like 3

Rest of Northern/Central Utah:

Storm totals thus far:
  • Upper LCC: 24"/1.75" SWE
  • Upper BCC: 20/1.90" SWE
  • Park City: 16"/2.0" SWE
  • Ogden mountains: 20"/2.77"
  • Provo mountains: 42"/7.67" SWE (That is not a typo)
Snow stakes now sit at 90-110" in the Cottonwoods and 70-80" along the PC ridge. 70-80" in Ogden, 75-85" in Provo. Amazing.

Just an all time start out west and every region is getting in on the action. Bodes well for a long season, I’m planning an SLC Jackson big sky trip for April and it’s always surprising just how much snow some of those places need to open up terrain. Shouldn’t be an issue this year. Meanwhile the skiing today at Pleasant Mountain was phenomenal…looks like after the midweek rain we there should be ample opportunities for snowmaking. 

• Like 2

Vicariously through Utah these days to be honest.

Being on calls with western counterparts is rough these days.  The Park City team and Tahoe crew (Heavenly and Kirkwood) are loving life.  Everyone has comments about how much it's snowing, just keeps coming, etc.

Park City cams look nice this evening.  Radar shows the Wasatch just getting raked by bands curling in from the SE.  Looks almost like a nor'easter style radar picture, just with 10-13,000ft peaks mixed in there.

Park City is at a relatively low elevation at the base there.  I think town is like 6-7,000ft?  Base of Alta is over 8,000ft.

1157643146_ParkCity.thumb.jpg.e4b0cfde32e352e3e9a1ca0909e7b547.jpg

1152991605_ParkCity2.thumb.jpg.5915361602d273bab7c4573ef170c02a.jpg

• Like 2

Alta and Snowbird were closed all day with interlodge in effect. Highway closed. No skiing! Insane. Avalanche teams working overtime. Must be intense to be there. I’m staying in SLC in Feb. Staying at Alta or Snowbird was so much more expensive. Our Air BnB total price for 6 nights was what one night cost at the mountains lol. Wonder how many people are stranded there and sleeping in the lodge. And they can’t ski. Different world out there!

• Like 1

Did a mini tour of New England ski areas this past week. Started off on the 28th at Black Mtn of Maine with almost a foot of snow on the ground and decent coverage but really only two routes down. Gun powder felt nice and the vibe there can't be beat.

Next day at Saddleback saw full mid winter conditions. What a rad hill! First time riding lifts there and the terrain off of their kennebago quad is so good. Lots of glade thinning efforts there on account of the trees being so tight but man, they do a great job. 

Given the deep base and full coverage at Saddleback and the fact that Jay had at that point reported 27" in the past week and 19" in the past 72 hrs, I was beyond thrilled to do some skiing there the next day. We showed up the morning of the 30th to nearly bare ground at the base and patchy trails on the hill. As everyone here has already mentioned, this was likely a combination of over reporting a bit as well as crazy high dews/rain in the overnight period before our arrival. You could literally see snow sublimating throughout the day...sad. I'm normally not a Jay snow report basher by any means but I did seriously question how 19" could just evaporate so quickly. Fun and soft manmade snow at least!

The next day was skin a lap > ride a lap at Bolton where there honestly seemed to be more coverage than Jay. Finally wrapped up with a few hrs at my old haunts of Sugarbush on new yrs day. Snow was super fun but the continued thaw basically exposed bare ground everywhere at lower elevations. 

All in all a fun little road trip.

• Like 5

I pre-bought some SLoaf tickets again this year and hope to do a couple Black Mountain Maine, Saddleback and SLoaf long weekends using my Indy Pass. Black Mountain is supposed to be a great tree skiing mountain with a very reasonable ticket price. Their Chisholm Ski Club has a fascinating history. 

• Like 1

Lol @ Jay peak ^ cmon they literally just slant stick for ticket sales 

Strongly disagree…

Who is saying “I would go there for 10, but not for 7”. It was a generous number, no argument. They do their snow totals in a range and always add with the higher number, which skews higher..no argument. But I’m there and I can tell you it snowed fluffy, white, fake snow for three days, which was well over a foot and I haven’t seen it disappear as fast as it did in 72 hours in several years (except maybe that 2020 grinch). I wrote on here Thursday afternoon that the writing was on the wall. Weds was excellent skiing with fresh powder all over the woods. By Thursday, you could see it going bad, and by Friday, it was like it never happened.

First picture is end of day Thursday. It was already going fast at this point. Second is 48 hours later. Natural trails are gone.

85fa5aa61b24ccab21378e2053b57f73.jpg
b676506e4332a54c2a0dac2a17d4afcb.jpg

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Angus said:

I pre-bought some SLoaf tickets again this year and hope to do a couple Black Mountain Maine, Saddleback and SLoaf long weekends using my Indy Pass. Black Mountain is supposed to be a great tree skiing mountain with a very reasonable ticket price. Their Chisholm Ski Club has a fascinating history. 

Black Mtn of ME is a hidden gem.

• Like 2

Skiing was surprisingly good at Berkshire East over the holiday break. Early week was hard fast groomers and later in the week turned into spring groomers.  Bare spots got worse as the week went along but the coverage was still fine despite the warming temperatures.  Considering how terrible last year was at the same time I’ll take it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Skiing was surprisingly good at Berkshire East over the holiday break. Early week was hard fast groomers and later in the week turned into spring groomers.  Bare spots got worse as the week went along but the coverage was still fine despite the warming temperatures.  Considering how terrible last year was at the same time I’ll take it. 

The Schaefer family keeps that mountain going no matter how much the weather doesn't cooperate. 

It's our local mountain and I am looking forward to getting back on the slopes this year! 

• Like 1

I don't generally talk about personal stuff on AmWx but I love and miss contributing to the ski forum.  In March 2021, I was at Berkshire East and my kid ran into me, getting off the quad and tore my ACL.  I knew at the time, something was ripped and assumed ACL.  I got the full mountain rescue sled ride down. 

It took about a week to get an MRI and my ACL assessment was correct but I also had hairline fractured my femur and tibia.  Since I had already walked around on them for a week,  the orthopedist said there was nothing else to do but use crutches, start PT at that point and go talk to a sports surgeon.   The orthopedic surgeon basically talked me out of ACL replacement because of all the complications that nobody likes to discuss. That's a story for another post.

The long and short of it is that I have barely done anything on skis since March of 2021.  There is a brace I am getting fitted for that will allow me to ski but certainly not woods or moguls.  I am just looking forward to getting back out on the slopes with my kid at the end of the month or early February.  I would have been back out sooner but I decided I was not diligent enough with certain rehab exercises and wanted to get fitted for the right brace. 

Anyway, that's my story and I am determined to get back on the slopes this year, even if I am just doing Green trails. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I don't generally talk about personal stuff on AmWx but I love and miss contributing to the ski forum.  In March 2021, I was at Berkshire East and my kid ran into me, getting off the quad and tore my ACL.  I knew at the time, something was ripped and assumed ACL.  I got the full mountain rescue sled ride down. 

It took about a week to get an MRI and my ACL assessment was correct but I also had hairline fractured my femur and tibia.  Since I had already walked around on them for a week,  the orthopedist said there was nothing else to do but use crutches, start PT at that point and go talk to a sports surgeon.   The orthopedic surgeon basically talked me out of ACL replacement because of all the complications that nobody likes to discuss. That's a story for another post.

The long and short of it is that I have barely done anything on skis since March of 2021.  There is a brace I am getting fitted for that will allow me to ski but certainly not woods or moguls.  I am just looking forward to getting back out on the slopes with my kid at the end of the month or early February.  I would have been back out sooner but I decided I was not diligent enough with certain rehab exercises and wanted to get fitted for the right brace. 

Anyway, that's my story and I am determined to get back on the slopes this year, even if I am just doing Green trails. 

Sorry to hear. Both my kids have already had fractured bones from skiing, and Diane last year had her ACL issue… skiing definitely has its downsides. It’s a good thing we love it so much! Hope you get back to it soon, even if on easy trails. Being out there is half the enjoyment, no matter what trail you’re on!

• Like 1

On 1/1/2023 at 9:52 PM, powderfreak said:

Vicariously through Utah these days to be honest.

Being on calls with western counterparts is rough these days.  The Park City team and Tahoe crew (Heavenly and Kirkwood) are loving life.  Everyone has comments about how much it's snowing, just keeps coming, etc.

Park City cams look nice this evening.  Radar shows the Wasatch just getting raked by bands curling in from the SE.  Looks almost like a nor'easter style radar picture, just with 10-13,000ft peaks mixed in there.

Park City is at a relatively low elevation at the base there.  I think town is like 6-7,000ft?  Base of Alta is over 8,000ft.

1157643146_ParkCity.thumb.jpg.e4b0cfde32e352e3e9a1ca0909e7b547.jpg

1152991605_ParkCity2.thumb.jpg.5915361602d273bab7c4573ef170c02a.jpg

7k in Town

Green, blue, black..it doesn’t matter. I’m sure it’s going to feel awesome to be back out there and spend the time with your kid. Nothing better to me. Good luck!

• Like 1