Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Our son did his annual training to be a litftie again at Wachusett last night.  Just wants to get in enough shifts for an employee pass. 

He says that now…amazing how many stories you hear of upper management at everything from the big corporates to the single independent resorts saying they started as a liftie to ski free and meet girls and they never left.

hope he has a great season!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it’s a tough call sometimes, I enjoy solo sometimes but skiing with friends is usually better.  You have any trips to Spruce planned?

I don’t , we did Mount Washington last weekend and it’s probably just going to be a bunch of chases for me over the winter period .  That being said , I was disappointed in the pool at that place (unusable - cold/ no jacuzzi either ) so I’d be booking Stowe for the same money personally, but we shall see . My gf could care less about the outdoor pool / jacuzzi band and  loved it there and i do want her to be happy , it certainly wasn’t torture at Mount Washington lol . I do recommend Spruce peak to everyone at the “upscale botiquish” women’s gym I work at bc it’s my favorite and I think it offers something for everyone (I.E couples / families ).

• Like 1

Couple of things in this thread - I'm not really sure the day rate matters much anymore. What % of skiers on the mountain on any particular day has bought a day ticket? Not sure if this is statistic, the industry compiles but at this point most folks are skiing on a IKON, VAIL, or area specific season pass.

I'm headed to Lech Austria (St. Anton) at xmas. I've never been a xmas vacation skier other than a day here or there locally but have a child studying in europe this Fall so thought 'why not.' Looking at things right now, I'm guessing I will spend approximately the same for xmas week what I would have spent early march out west. But I will have about 300kms of groomed trails to choose from...if they get them open, winter has started slow in the alps.

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We should get a couple people to do a small day trip in the winter midweek. You can get some great deals midweek and I can play hookie a lot easier than my wife can (she’s a teacher). I don’t mind skiing solo at all, but it’s def more fun if you have another couple skiers if similar skill. 

I ski mostly mid week when I’m not up at jay.  Anyone wants to get a group together to ski and for beers, I’m down.  I would think southern vt. is the most central, but I’ll go anywhere.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I ski mostly mid week when I’m not up at jay.  Anyone wants to get a group together to ski and for beers, I’m down.  I would think southern vt. is the most central, but I’ll go anywhere.

Yeah for a day trip I’d want to do something under 3 hours. S VT is in that range. 

51 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

He says that now…amazing how many stories you hear of upper management at everything from the big corporates to the single independent resorts saying they started as a liftie to ski free and meet girls and they never left.

hope he has a great season!

Lol. Maybe.  He is a senior in college now and has a pretty sweet internship that he has done since summer of 2021. When he graduates next spring he is likely to go into that job for real. WaWa might not have much chance. 

During winter break and spring break he will prob work a couple of shifts per week at the hill and full time at the other place.  

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

At least up there they already have a ski area to start out with. It’s not huge but at least they don’t have to start from absolute scratch. 

Yeah I’d guess if the market produces incentive for more ski areas, the most likely mountains would be former ski areas that closed. Less work to do and probably less environmental red tape. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Would imagine the inflation hit is going to greatly reduce the number of skiers this year. Or more stay in New England because airfares are nutz

You would think so , but I’d like to see how this year compares to last years  presales On annual passes . My guess is many upscale resorts will be hit least hard  this year but we shall see 

I found this https://www.saminfo.com/news/sam-headline-news/10187-vail-resorts-reports-year-end-results-and-2023-outlook

early in fall (late September) vail reported annual passes were down 10% year to date but day pass sales have increased . Also prices have increased 7% for annual passes so , early on its seems Revenue is steady . 

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Any tips on how to get passes for a day where it doesn’t require me being part of a Hedge Fund?

You need to purchase a epic day pass 

if your looking to ski NH you can get each adult 1 for 51$ each (Wildcat / Sunapee / attitash ) that’s your best deal thru Epic. Kids 5-12 yrs old are 26$ for a 1 day epic pass at those locales

The next tier up on epic includes Stowe , mount snow and okemo but it’s 40% more per day just to have those options . No thx 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

You need to purchase a epic day pass 

if your looking to ski NH you can get each adult 1 for 51$ each (Wildcat / Sunapee / attitash ) that’s your best deal thru Epic. Kids 5-12 yrs old are 26$ for a 1 day epic pass at those locales

The next tier up on epic includes Stowe , mount snow and okemo but it’s 40% more per day just to have those options . No thx 

That sounds good. I’m all set with the posh places. 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

You can get it printed at the ski areas too.

Just the guy I wanted to ask 

Do you know how EPIC or Vail are doing Year over year (year to date) on season pass sales . Was wondering w ginxy if inflationary pinch was hurting any parts of the industry , I thought up scale may be hit less but curious 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean Stowe would be amazing, but just looking to see if I can grab a day here or there and give my son some lessons. 

Smuggs and Burke do 1/2 day tix (which is all kids usually do) which aren’t too bad.  Jay has a four pack right now for $61 a tix I think…and epic day pass for kids is really reasonable.  You have to purchase asap, but can use any day of the season.  I think you can get some of the lesser tier mountains for like $30 for kids.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

One thing the past couple years has shown me is the amount of wealth in the United States is mind-boggling.

Oh we know. Just count the number of million dollar yachts that dot the coast down here.mind boggling. Used to be Dr's and Lawyers now it's tradesmen and women as well. Lot o' money in construction 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean Stowe would be amazing, but just looking to see if I can grab a day here or there and give my son some lessons. 

Wawa  midweek. Take him out of school for a day. You will have his full attention and the lack of people will make learning so much easier. Don't go big until he has it down.

Opening day at Wildcat was really fun! The quad zipped up the mountain and the trail down has very nice snow for the top 2/3 and was a bit hard on the lower 1/3, but that softened up as the sun hit it in the mid-morning. Crowds were minor, good vibe overall and the complementary hot chocolate was a nice feature too. Onward to the 22/23 ski season!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, mcglups said:

Opening day at Wildcat was really fun! The quad zipped up the mountain and the trail down has very nice snow for the top 2/3 and was a bit hard on the lower 1/3, but that softened up as the sun hit it in the mid-morning. Crowds were minor, good vibe overall and the complementary hot chocolate was a nice feature too. Onward to the 22/23 ski season!

Nice 

8 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Just the guy I wanted to ask 

Do you know how EPIC or Vail are doing Year over year (year to date) on season pass sales . Was wondering w ginxy if inflationary pinch was hurting any parts of the industry , I thought up scale may be hit less but curious 

I don’t know nor care that much, but I’ve been around the ski industry long enough to know the vast majority of skiers and ski families traveling north each weekend aren’t affected enough to change their behaviors.  Paying a little more for groceries each week or heating oil, doesn’t move the needle much of the suburban upper middle class in the northeast IMO.  Maybe they save a little less?  But they are going to do leisure activities.

• Like 1