Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah and Killington has already proven it can handle that race for several years now (I think since 2016 or 2017?). From memory, most years have had very good conditions.  

Yeah and the FIS has cancelled like 6 or 7 races world wide already this season due to warmth and lack of snow… I think they are jonesing to get one in.  They definitely give Killington’s snowmaking the benefit of the doubt.

Around 11am this morning there were 160 snow guns firing between Mount Mansfield and Spruce Peak.  Down in the base areas at 1,500ft, where the real battle is fought every November, everywhere you looked there was snow coming out of a gun... land frames, towers, fan guns.  It was invigorating.  A few days ago when record highs were falling, it seemed hopeless.  Today it felt different.  A show of force, especially the base area efforts.  A ton of capacity was aimed into the lower elevations, knowing the upper mountain above 2,500ft will have the best parameters this week.  Thank a snowmaker.

315696886_10104980401452430_805638204886

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Around 11am this morning there were 160 snow guns firing between Mount Mansfield and Spruce Peak.  Down in the base areas at 1,500ft, where the real battle is fought every November, everywhere you looked there was snow coming out of a gun... land frames, towers, fan guns.  It was invigorating.  A few days ago when record highs were falling, it seemed hopeless.  Today it felt different.  A show of force, especially the base area efforts.  A ton of capacity was aimed into the lower elevations, knowing the upper mountain above 2,500ft will have the best parameters this week.  Thank a snowmaker.

I don't know why because it's just air and water, but I am always in awe of those massive snowmaking efforts.  It's enough to want to make that my retirement job in about 10 years.  Crap hours, crap working conditions, crap pay, but something about being out there in the middle of night blasting the mountain with snow.

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

How much does it cost/hr to blow that much?:lol:

23 hours ago, CT Rain said:

Just booked Telluride for early March. Between that and Whistler in January I'm hoping for some good powder days!

Telluride is awesome. Did it in early January 2016 after they got croaked with several feet of snow in late December 2015…we had a couple refresher type snows while I was there (like 2-4” type deals). It was quite cold though when I went. They have some super gnarly terrain if you want it. 

You’ll prob have much warmer weather being March unless they have some big cutoff over then, then it will be frigid, lol. 

We stayed down in the actual town which was fun to ski down to at the end of the day…going right down the north face. 

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Telluride is awesome. Did it in early January 2016 after they got croaked with several feet of snow in late December 2015…we had a couple refresher type snows while I was there (like 2-4” type deals). It was quite cold though when I went. They have some super gnarly terrain if you want it. 

You’ll prob have much warmer weather being March unless they have some big cutoff over then, then it will be frigid, lol. 

We stayed down in the actual town which was fun to ski down to at the end of the day…going right down the north face. 

Yeah I did Telluride last March and it was incredible. No crazy powder while we were there but a few inches every morning kept it fresh. Hiked a bit to some of the bowls but nothing too crazy.

We stayed in Mountain Village last year which wasn't as fun as town. Going to stay right in town this time. 

5 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah I did Telluride last March and it was incredible. No crazy powder while we were there but a few inches every morning kept it fresh. Hiked a bit to some of the bowls but nothing too crazy.

We stayed in Mountain Village last year which wasn't as fun as town. Going to stay right in town this time. 

Yeah the town is great. You can walk anywhere in town which makes it super easy. Lots of places to eat and grab beers. I like the old hotel in town. Has a great bar. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the town is great. You can walk anywhere in town which makes it super easy. Lots of places to eat and grab beers. I like the old hotel in town. Has a great bar. 

I'm going to copper in early march and have a place to stay in telluride.  Is it crazy to drive from frisco to telluride and then back to denver for 3-4 days of skiing?

2 hours ago, Hitman said:

I'm going to copper in early march and have a place to stay in telluride.  Is it crazy to drive from frisco to telluride and then back to denver for 3-4 days of skiing?

Long drive from Frisco to Telluride. But if you can stay in Telluride for a few days, it's def worth it. If its only for a day or two in Telluride, I'd prob just enjoy Copper and not worry about the 5-6 hour drive.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Long drive from Frisco to Telluride. But if you can stay in Telluride for a few days, it's def worth it. If its only for a day or two in Telluride, I'd prob just enjoy Copper and not worry about the 5-6 hour drive.

Yeah that drive would suck. Somehow I was able to find cheaper airfare on Delta to MTJ than DEN! Only an easy 1h15m from Montrose. 

13 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah that drive would suck. Somehow I was able to find cheaper airfare on Delta to MTJ than DEN! Only an easy 1h15m from Montrose. 

Yeah I flew into MTJ as well....it's super easy from there. Took a shuttle van and the dude got us there in just over an hour. It's an extra bonus that you found it cheaper than DEN.

MTJ is so convenient, I'd prob pay like a $100 premium to fly into there.

One of my fav pics from my 2016 trip is when the skies temporarily cleared right after a snow shower/squall and it was right before I skied down the north face. Great view of the town behind me down below. Not sure there any bad views at that place TBH.

Telluride2.jpg

• Like 3

Whiteface opening top to bottom offering 3000' of vert?! That is atypical, right? Maybe showing they have the firepower to host some early races like Killington did in the years prior to the World Cup coming? I remember skiing mid-November on 90%+  man made at K, they would be T2B from K1 with North Ridge and East Fall, most of Snowdon open, and off of Skye they had most of Superstar,  Skyelark, and Bittersweet open. 

4 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Whiteface opening top to bottom offering 3000' of vert?! That is atypical, right? Maybe showing they have the firepower to host some early races like Killington did in the years prior to the World Cup coming? I remember skiing mid-November on 90%+  man made at K, they would be T2B from K1 with North Ridge and East Fall, most of Snowdon open, and off of Skye they had most of Superstar,  Skyelark, and Bittersweet open. 

3,000 verts this time of year is impressive.  I thought it was good we were going with 2,100 verts, wow.

You can tell how much snow Killington puts into the World Cup as they will still be downloading despite a base elevation of 2,000ft there and many “lesser” snowmaking hills offering top-to-bottom.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

3,000 verts this time of year is impressive.  I thought it was good we were going with 2,100 verts, wow.

You can tell how much snow Killington puts into the World Cup as they will still be downloading despite a base elevation of 2,000ft there and many “lesser” snowmaking hills offering top-to-bottom.

Base elevation 2540' at Killington- bottom of K1

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I forget just how high up that K1 base lodge is.  

And some other things. If I remember right I think there are only three lifts at K that give you access to over 1,200 - Skye Peak, SkyeShip, and K1.

I was just describing Wildcat to my wife tonight and she really wants to check it out now that is only a little over an hour away. That damn quad hauls ass and so much character in those trails. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PowderBeard said:

Sounds about right..think about this year, though; they've only had 6 days of snowmaking so far and had every hydrant on superstar going.  Without the world cup and a week earlier of snowmaking temps, I'm sure much of Snowdon,  would be done.