Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
The 2022 - 2023 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

5 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

If any New England mountain had half that and didn’t open, there would be riots.

Ha, I feel like there’d be just as many folks wishing they wouldn’t open these days.  Parking lots would be packed regardless.  Hundreds of uphillers enjoying carte blanche.

This would totally be Mansfield, folks praying it remains closed to skin. Huge lines of skinning traffic and headlamps heading up every morning.

B6530BA5-9D24-4304-8FD1-A244FF4D65E1.thumb.jpeg.4e88f17dac66fa52b71ccd6eb340e230.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree.  To open Friday for here I think snowmaking needs to be done by Wednesday, to allow to drain/cure and then time for pushing it all out.  Also punts any cold late in the week to another set of runs… honestly I’d just run gangbusters all week long to take advantage of it and not worry about turning it off to get a decent product quality and spending a couple days pushing when it’s cold.  Who knows.  It looks like a good cold shot, I’d max it out.

Apparently, we were both wrong and it was a system fail. I Still wouldn’t have gone for it with the rain.21b2a4b0aac136ff887a9ec216a075cf.jpg

19 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

Apparently, we were both wrong and it was a system fail. I Still wouldn’t have gone for it with the rain.21b2a4b0aac136ff887a9ec216a075cf.jpg

Snowmaking crew was training testing last night and went big.  Good stress test I guess and training for new staff ahead of the big push? Had to be 75+ guns top to bottom.  Still running now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

If any New England mountain had half that and didn’t open, there would be riots.

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Ha, I feel like there’d be just as many folks wishing they wouldn’t open these days.  Parking lots would be packed regardless.  Hundreds of uphillers enjoying carte blanche.

This would totally be Mansfield, folks praying it remains closed to skin. Huge lines of skinning traffic and headlamps heading up every morning.

B6530BA5-9D24-4304-8FD1-A244FF4D65E1.thumb.jpeg.4e88f17dac66fa52b71ccd6eb340e230.jpeg

And the mountain is closed to uphill travel, yet they're still doing it.

Only 22" over last 24hr and 15" over last 12.  Expecting another 12"+ over next 24hr.  Could be over 100" by weeks end.

8 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

what's the temp profile top to bottom? Did you get the big inversion? 

No it was cold at all elevations but has started to go inverted this morning.

Pretty wild profile right now, they are losing it at this moment.  Wet bulbs are punching upper 20s now.  It was low to mid 20s most of the night.

Quad top... 36F wet bulb of 26F (only 15% RH, very dry aloft above the inversion).

Mid-Mtn... 32F with wet bulb of 28F.

Base... 34F with wet bulb of 29F.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

And the mountain is closed to uphill travel, yet they're still doing it.

Only 22" over last 24hr and 15" over last 12.  Expecting another 12"+ over next 24hr.  Could be over 100" by weeks end.

I know someone that works there… wild snow and water totals.

2.42” QPF frozen in 12 hours, sheesh on the avalanche board.

DEA52CBF-7F91-41DE-8793-C823ECB4C56F.jpeg.14155cc8b2974a4c93904db658fce127.jpeg

• Haha 1

Dog got a roll in one of the remaining Stowe “piles”… about 8” of water logged frozen matter masquerading as snow, each one occupying about the floor space of a two-car garage :lol:.

It’s sort of a bizarre scene if you didn’t know about snowmaking.  Just these equally spaced small areas of snow dotting their way down the trail and surrounded by grass.

5D7B81DA-6F43-4671-AA90-BE5F3F23CA3F.thumb.jpeg.d94a98503539fa1c00c3b82a82249693.jpeg

• Like 2

My daughter lives in SLC. She said Park City already has 82" on the season. Off to the best start in decades. Figures,  my son who also lived out there decided to come home this Summer after working on the snow making crew for the last 5yrs. Now he's at Wachusett. The snowmaking crew reported to work last night and will be pumping all week as long as temps permit. 

I hope they didn't cancel the Cup at Killington because of that.....looks great for them the next couple weeks. Both man made and natural snow should be plentiful.

I think they’ll be fine. Looks like non-stop snowmaking until the event. I bet they open the north ridge weds too. This is about as good an early season window as it gets.

Just give us a heads up when you start seeing things break down!

24 minutes ago, bwt3650 said:

I think they’ll be fine. Looks like non-stop snowmaking until the event. I bet they open the north ridge weds too. This is about as good an early season window as it gets.

Just give us a heads up when you start seeing things break down!

Oh nice....earlier in this thread there was talk of an "inspection" on Saturday 11/12 by FIS officials, and I was worried it would be so bad they'd cancel without realizing the next 2 weeks looks great for them.

Oh nice....earlier in this thread there was talk of an "inspection" on Saturday 11/12 by FIS officials, and I was worried it would be so bad they'd cancel without realizing the next 2 weeks looks great for them.

Yes, you’re right. They do have an inspection I think right around now, but in the past, they get a wink and nod from FIS because of their reputation and the forecast. This is a big race for them, so I think they trust killington if they say they can get it done.

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

Yes, you’re right. They do have an inspection I think right around now, but in the past, they get a wink and nod from FIS because of their reputation and the forecast. This is a big race for them, so I think they trust killington if they say they can get it done.

Yeah and Killington has already proven it can handle that race for several years now (I think since 2016 or 2017?). From memory, most years have had very good conditions.