Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2022 Observations

yotaman

14 hours ago, jburns said:

Only 0.28" today which gives me a grand total for the month of 0.80" for the month. Lots of dark days for August but not much rain. 

OK. Someone heard me complain.  1.72" overnight in the loudest storm of the year.  Several consecutive lightning strikes with almost simultaneous thunder. Freaked my dogs out.

I got a brief shower today near midday giving me 0.2". I'm now near 9" mtd/28" summer to date.

This evening I had a thunderstorm with a fairly short period of heavy rain. Rain amount to be determined later.

And now another heavy shower has started at ~7:30 PM.

Total rainfall from the two periods of 8/22 evening rainfall: 0.75". So, 0.95" for 8/22 excluding the stuff continuing til just after midnight that I had accounted for in an earlier post. This puts me at a very wet 9.87" for mtd and nearing 29" summer to date.

Edit on 8/23: some light rain 8/23 measuring 0.04" this afternoon. Now 9.91" mtd/~29" summer td 

On 8/22/2022 at 3:47 PM, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Now that is a gradient. Imagine snow at a 10 to 1 ratio.

NW Wake County in NC received 151.6" of snow. Over 12 feet!! Amounts dropped off quickly as you moved south and east with SE Wake County recording only 8.2".

3 hours ago, jburns said:

Now that is a gradient. Imagine snow at a 10 to 1 ratio.

NW Wake County in NC received 151.6" of snow. Over 12 feet!! Amounts dropped off quickly as you moved south and east with SE Wake County recording only 8.2".

8.2”? I would think a sloppy 1.2” then change to 33 and cold rain would be more appropriate in that scenario 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

8.2”? I would think a sloppy 1.2” then change to 33 and cold rain would be more appropriate in that scenario 

I'm going to take a wild guess and say that if NW Wake got 12 feet of snow and SE Wake got 8" the anguished posts would reach an all tine high. 8" would suddenly become, "almost nothing".

• Haha 1

1. I received 0.10" yesterday (8/28)  bringing me to 10.05" mtd.

2. I'm now getting more generous rainfall this morning (8/29) from thunderstorms embedded in a larger area of rain centered just offshore moving northward. Totals will be posted later. Likely will exceed 1".

Edit: 3. I've been getting hit hard with very heavy rain at times along with some big pretty closeby CTG bolts from thunderstorms over the last hour or so (very late 8/29-early 8/30) as a result of a trough in the area.  The combined total for this and this morning's likely 1"+ is going to be big and add to this already very wet month! I think it is ~3" but will verify tomorrow.

Edit: I'm calling the total for 8/29-30 right at 3".

great day today - amazing that a 62-65 dewpoint feels dry. 

currently  - sunny - 86/65

high - 89

low - 65

----month stats ---

High  -  97

Low - 60

Dew Hi  - 81

Dew Lo - 53

Rain - 5.21

----

Met Summer Stats

High - 101

Low- 48

Dew hi - 81

Dew lo - 39

Rain - 10.42  (only 0.99 in June)

Notables:

only 4 days where the high was below 80

1. I ended up with a whopping 13.25" for August, which is nearly twice the normal!

2. Together with the 7" for June and the 11.98" for July, I got a whopping 32.23" this meteorological summer making my water table very high and the mosquitoes happy. The far inland portions of the county got much less. Example: KSAV (airport) got only 18.59", right at normal!

Closed out August with 4.08" of rain. Monthly high of 98.2 on August 3rd, low of 60.0 on August 13th.

As for today, 63.4 at 7:15am this morning. Dare I say - a little chill for shorts and flip flops!

Looking back at 2021, September gave me my first fall 40's with a low of 49 on September 24th. Firewood ready!

• jburns unpinned this topic