Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2022 Observations

yotaman

• jburns pinned this topic

Finally! Due to an area of thunderstorms moving slowly NNW from the coastal waters, I'm getting my first measurable rain since way back on July 21st! Just in time to avoid the possibility of having to turn on the sprinklers. The rain started ~1:15 PM. It is coming down heavily along with one very close CTG lightning strike.

Preliminary estimate a very nice 1.5" here, which brings me to ~20.5" for the met. summer so far. That compares to a normal full JJA of about that much,

Got awoken 9AM by a heavy storm with several hits of nearby CTG. This looks to be a nice hit of rainfall as it is still coming down though it has gotten much lighter here by 9:30 AM. Per radar loop, heavy rain started here near 8:30 AM after a period of lighter rain. It looks like 1"+ here roughly. Other areas of county appear to have gotten much more as a flood advisory has been in effect for the county since 8:44 AM due to only slow movement WNW:

FLOOD ADVISORY   NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC   921 AM EDT SUN AUG 7 2022:

..FLOOD ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1015 AM EDT THIS MORNING     * WHAT...FLOODING CAUSED BY EXCESSIVE RAINFALL CONTINUES.     * WHERE...A PORTION OF SOUTHEAST GEORGIA, INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING   COUNTY, CHATHAM.     * WHEN...UNTIL 1015 AM EDT.     * IMPACTS...MINOR FLOODING IN LOW-LYING AND POOR DRAINAGE AREAS.   WATER OVER ROADWAYS.

- AT 918 AM EDT, DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED THUNDERSTORMS WITH TORRENTIAL RAINFALL EXTENDING FROM GARDEN CITY AND DOWNTOWN   SAVANNAH SOUTH TO WHITE BLUFF, VERNONBURG AND RIO VISTA. AS   MUCH AS 2 TO 3 INCHES OF OF RAIN HAS FALLEN ACROSS PART OF THE SAVANNAH METRO AREA SINCE JUST BEFORE 8 AM.

- ADDITIONAL RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE EXPECTED OVER THE AREA. THIS ADDITIONAL RAIN WILL RESULT IN MINOR  FLOODING.

No rain the last 3 days. But today was pretty unique with what is Saharan Air Layer dust, which barely made it up here. The skies were milky and the sun was filtered along with PC skies. It had the look of smoke or thick summer haze. Interesting stuff!

Edit:

I just saw this, which was released from the Charleston, SC, WSO about 45 minutes ago, which confirms the pretty rare SAL event for here:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC  
739 PM EDT WED AUG 10 2022 

FINALLY, A GOOD AMOUNT OF THE SAHARAN DUST HAS SPREAD OFF THE  
ATLANTIC INTO COASTAL SC AND GA, RESULTING IN A FAIR AMOUNT OF  
HAZE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. JZI IS REPORTING 5SM IN HAZE AS  
A RESULT. UNCLEAR HOW LONG THE DUST LAYER WILL BE WITH US. BUT  
THERE MAY BE OCCASIONAL REDUCED SURFACE VISIBILITIES THROUGH  
THURSDAY.

Update at 8:10 PM: A strong outflow boundary has just arrived here around sunset from thunderstorms to the west making it suddenly quite windy. We have a shelf cloud of sorts overhead. Will we get rain from this? The radar for now shows only the dry outflow boundary.

10 hours ago, GaWx said:

No rain the last 3 days. But today was pretty unique with what is Saharan Air Layer dust, which barely made it up here. The skies were milky and the sun was filtered along with PC skies. It had the look of smoke or thick summer haze. Interesting stuff!

Update at 8:10 PM: A strong outflow boundary has just arrived here around sunset from thunderstorms to the west making it suddenly quite windy. We have a shelf cloud of sorts overhead. Will we get rain from this? The radar for now shows only the dry outflow boundary.

Stepped outside of work to go home and saw the haze.  First thought was that they must have been doing another burn at Ft. Stewart... now I know what it was!

Caught the eastern edge of that storm, good bit of wind and a little rain.  Cooled things off nicely for a bit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, gtg947h said:

Stepped outside of work to go home and saw the haze.  First thought was that they must have been doing another burn at Ft. Stewart... now I know what it was!

Caught the eastern edge of that storm, good bit of wind and a little rain.  Cooled things off nicely for a bit.

I can't tell if the SAL dust is still here. I ended up getting no more than a few drops from that evening shelf cloud yesterday. Perhaps the SAL dust, which was only near the coast, kept it from raining any further east than it did?

Today: perhaps the SAL dust moved out today from the area as I got a very nice ~1.35" late this afternoon from a thunderstorm. I've had 3 days of rain so far this month and each of the 3 gave me 1.35"+ of rainfall. I'm now up to 4.23" mtd, well above the normal of ~2.5"-2.75".

• jburns unpinned this topic