• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discobs 2022

George BM

4.3" for the month here, but 3 of it came in one event early in the month. Was just outside watering all the plants and the new grass. Where I don't water the soil is powder.

eta- the moles are now coming out of the woods and looking for food in the wet oasis that is the new grass area. Just can't win with grass here lol.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

4.3" for the month here, but 3 of it came in one event early in the month. Was just outside watering all the plants and the new grass. Where I don't water the soil is powder.

eta- the moles are now coming out of the woods and looking for food in the wet oasis that is the new grass area. Just can't win with grass here lol.

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but 9 times out of 10, planting grass in the spring turns into a giant pain in the ass.

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Sometimes you have to do what you have to do, but 9 times out of 10, planting grass in the spring turns into a giant pain in the ass.

That never works. August-September and even later is the best time. I like to get it established before the leaves come down.

17 minutes ago, IronTy said:

I'm tired of the heat and humidity.  Good for my caterpillars but I just had 2 cords of firewood delivered to the mountain property and am looking forward to winter there.   

No dead/dying/fallen trees on all that land to harvest firewood?

I have a couple winters worth of wood stacked up that needs to be split- combo of fallen trees and dead standing ones that I cut.

I'll get the log splitter going in the Fall (so November) when it feels more like firewood season.  I'll never pay for firewood again. Overpriced, mostly green, never cut to the right size, and with other crap mixed in despite being advertised as seasoned hardwood.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

No dead/dying/fallen trees on all that land to harvest firewood?

I have a couple winters worth of wood stacked up that needs to be split- combo of fallen trees and dead standing ones that I cut.

I'll get the log splitter going in the Fall (so November) when it feels more like firewood season.  I'll never pay for firewood again. Overpriced, mostly green, never cut to the right size, and with other crap mixed in despite being advertised as seasoned hardwood.

Oh I have a hundred years worth of forest to harvest as firewood, but you know what's easier than that?  $500 and a phone.  

Down here in SoMD I agree with you.  I can usually find cut wood and split it myself with my electric-hydraulic splitter.  We're always one hurricane away from a lifetime's worth of firewood, yes?

IMG_20220827_191523_copy_960x1280.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IronTy said:

Oh I have a hundred years worth of forest to harvest as firewood, but you know what's easier than that?  $500 and a phone.  

Down here in SoMD I agree with you.  I can usually find cut wood and split it myself with my electric-hydraulic splitter.  We're always one hurricane away from a lifetime's worth of firewood, yes?

IMG_20220827_191523_copy_960x1280.jpg

Gas hydraulic splitter here. Bought it in 2005 after clearing part of the lot for the building site. Its held up well. I think I bought firewood twice in all the years since. With 6 acres of hardwoods and oak tree disease pretty common here, usually no shortage of wood to harvest for fuel.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CAPE said:

Gas hydraulic splitter here. Bought it in 2005 after clearing part of the lot for the building site. Its held up well. I think I bought firewood twice in all the years since. With 6 acres of hardwoods and oak tree disease pretty common here, usually no shortage of wood to harvest for fuel.

Electric is nice and easy - quiet and lightweight but you're limited by the design which is for a standard 15A circuit breaker so there's only so much they can do.  I've used my little Honda generator to use it in more remote locations but really gasoline is better for serious work.  We mostly have tulip poplar to split around here after storms.  Randomly the county came by and cut down a while bunch of trees by the sides of the road early this year so I went out with my chainsaw and muck truck and got all my firewood this winter for free.  The tulip trees are randomly easy to split, even huge logs.  

I'll get a gasoline one for the mountain property though.   

• Like 1

Ok I'll admit it.  I hate endless summer.  As a HS'er running cross country I can't imagine having to deal with this crap.  In Michigan I can remember running in snow with 5/8" spikes in October.  Down here it's just as likely I'd be running topless through sprinklers in November.  Where's a solid volcano eruption when we need it?  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic