• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discobs 2022

George BM

@donsutherland1   Don S in the NY forum posted this snippet below within his daily summary yesterday. I find it very interesting if you are looking forward to increased rainfall oppurtunities in September.   @CAPE might like the potential if history repeats itself.  

< On August 18, the SOI fell to -32.90. Since 1991, there were 8 cases when the SOI fell to -30 or below during the August 10-25 period. That outcome has often preceded a wetter than normal September in parts of the Northeast. Mean September rainfall figures for those 8 cases: Boston: 4.38" (normal: 3.55"); New York City: 5.08" (normal: 4.31"); and, Philadelphia: 5.12" (normal: 4.40"). Very wet years outnumbered very dry ones by a 2:1 ratio in Boston and 3:1 ratio in both New York City and Philadelphia. 63% of cases saw at least one day with 1" or more rainfall in Boston. 88% saw at least one day with 1" or more in New York City and Philadelphia. 50% of those cases saw at least one day with 2" or more daily rainfall in Philadelphia. In sum, the SOI may be offering a signal that there will be some drought relief for the northern Mid-Atlantic and southern New England regions in September. >

I added this from https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/soi/    show the last 6 days.  

Date Tahiti (hPa) Darwin (hPa) Daily Contribution 30 day Av. SOI 90 day Av. SOI
20 Aug 2022 1015.40 1014.60 -4.98 8.88 11.65
19 Aug 2022 1012.52 1013.50 -15.78 9.07 11.81
18 Aug 2022 1010.75 1014.55 -32.90 9.67 12.06
17 Aug 2022 1014.51 1014.00 -6.74 10.75 12.59
16 Aug 2022 1016.31 1013.20 9.04 10.76 12.81
15 Aug 2022 1016.42 1012.50 13.96 10.37 12.88

6 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Amazing how things get crispy very quickly.  Less than an inch of precip over the last two weeks and the lawn completely gave up.

Pretty typical for late summer. Trees dropping plenty of leaves. About half my grass always gives up, and won't come back. Started reseeding last weekend. Already have seedlings after 7 days from stage 1. Warm August soil with lowering sun angle. Just have to provide the water until it rains.

I need to get used to this heat again after being in chilly OC until today.  We were in the low/mid 70s every day with some pretty stiff sea breezes.  I can't believe there were people in that water.  Hell no!  But it was sunny every day while rain poured for 2-3 days just 80-100 miles east. 

I can tell it's been dry here at home as the grass is dormant and ground hard as rock.  Thankfully the neighbors watered our pots and beds, which I'll do for them this week while they're gone.

I'm hoping we all get a nice shot of soaking rain coming up tomorrow night and Monday

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Amazing how things get crispy very quickly.  Less than an inch of precip over the last two weeks and the lawn completely gave up.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Pretty typical for late summer. Trees dropping plenty of leaves. About half my grass always gives up, and won't come back. Started reseeding last weekend. Already have seedlings after 7 days from stage 1. Warm August soil with lowering sun angle. Just have to provide the water until it rains.

Geez. You guys should just drive out here and see what it looks like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m sure that the condition of your yard and my yard look very different. But mine will bounce back. It always does. 

Yeah there is a difference between grass going dormant, and completely losing its roots and going to thatch. I have the latter with about 50% of mine. Harsh here in the woods, plus well drained soil. A bit of work and it will be back and look nice again until the growing season ends around Jan 1.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic