Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August Discobs 2022

George BM

4 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Going to go out on a limb here and say that, barring some cheap torch downslope day, we're probably done with the 95° + heat in the area until next summer.

Ops and ensembles both don’t show any significant heat through the end of their runs. May run above normal still, mostly due to warm low temps. That puts us out to the very end of august or early September. Still obviously can get heat in September, but becomes increasingly unusual. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Today has got to be one of the weirdest weather days for August I can remember. This little area of convergence has been stuck over the Staunton -> Charlottesville corridor for more than 12 hours now. Didn't make it above 70 until 11am, then only made it to 73 for a high. I think we'll be back into the 60s well before sunset. We've picked up about 0.5" since midnight.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Managed to tie the record 'cool max' for the date of 68.3 degrees here from 2020. Pretty amazing to do that on tenths of a degree and only 2 years apart.. currently 59.9/59.0 and drizzle/fog.

Looks like I am headed for a '2 fer', currently 66.3 degrees, which is the high for the day, been 63/64 about all day until the last hour. I'll hold off to see if the 69 from 1994 holds until morning. Crazy cool last 48 hours socked in the clouds/fog/drizzle/ENE winds here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GATECH said:

Pretty sure we hit 90 + in October, and don’t forget July in December around Christmas!

Easily could see an October with at least one 90 degree day early in the month followed by wintery precip for some places late in the month. Would be the kiss of death for winter though, so I wouldn’t root for that. 

8 minutes ago, mappy said:

Thanks friend! With PA schools going back today, I’m hopeful the park won’t be too busy. And she’s tall enough to get on some of the more exciting coasters. Weeeeee! 

Will be a great day for you!  Have fun and don’t chicken out!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Looks like I am headed for a '2 fer', currently 66.3 degrees, which is the high for the day, been 63/64 about all day until the last hour. I'll hold off to see if the 69 from 1994 holds until morning. Crazy cool last 48 hours socked in the clouds/fog/drizzle/ENE winds here. 

Yep, hit 66.4 a few minutes after that comment, then down it went, so a new 'cool max' for the date of 66.4 degrees, beating 1994's 69 degree reading. I haven't seen 70 degrees in about 66 hours. Currently 58.0/57.2 and cloudy.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Wut? That seems insanely early.

That is early for northeastern schools. I grew up going back after Labor Day, and my nieces and nephews still do the same. I also know lots of folks throughout the Northeast whose kids go back in September.

What gets me is the schools down south that go back before August 10!

16 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Ops and ensembles both don’t show any significant heat through the end of their runs. May run above normal still, mostly due to warm low temps. That puts us out to the very end of august or early September. Still obviously can get heat in September, but becomes increasingly unusual. Fingers crossed.

August has been violent

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

That is early for northeastern schools. I grew up going back after Labor Day, and my nieces and nephews still do the same. I also know lots of folks throughout the Northeast whose kids go back in September.

What gets me is the schools down south that go back before August 10!

Doesn't seem to help much

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Anne Arundel students finished on June 24. They go back August 29.

Pathetic “summer.”

On topic, nice day and fingers crossed for a thunderstorm later.

Same in PG county. Glad I made a switch from classroom teaching to tutoring full time… shortest summer I’ve ever seen. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic