• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discobs 2022

George BM

Whoever is responsible for putting air handlers in the attic deserves to live in an attic all summer.  My upstairs thermostat barely reaches setpoint by morning.  It's so hot in the attic the unit has to run basically nonstop all night.  I have a top of the line trane inverter unit downstairs which has no trouble but alas heat rises.  Looking forward to this weekend too.  

2 hours ago, IronTy said:

Whoever is responsible for putting air handlers in the attic deserves to live in an attic all summer.  My upstairs thermostat barely reaches setpoint by morning.  It's so hot in the attic the unit has to run basically nonstop all night.  I have a top of the line trane inverter unit downstairs which has no trouble but alas heat rises.  Looking forward to this weekend too.  

That concept never made much sense. Although in a 3 story house to have the upstairs unit in the basement would create extreme challenges for running the duct work. I think a dedicated closet on the upper level is much more reasonable versus the attic. 

2 hours ago, jewell2188 said:

That concept never made much sense. Although in a 3 story house to have the upstairs unit in the basement would create extreme challenges for running the duct work. I think a dedicated closet on the upper level is much more reasonable versus the attic. 

Yeah if I ever move to a new house all the handlers are going to be in the building envelope.  I'd probably only move into a single story home at this point so I guess it wouldn't matter anyway.  

I just checked the attic with a temp gun - decking 136F.  Return duct to the air handler - 106F exterior.  Cold air ducts to the rooms, all about 96F exterior.  They're all insulated of course but there's no way around heat gain being in that environment.  Air coming out of the vents is 68F, barely enough to cool the rooms even running nonstop.  

1 hour ago, WeatherShak said:

In bubbling for the last couple hours in downtown DC

63cf681f3b850ea5542edc53195e2d75.jpg

For some reason I expected to see John, Paul, George, and Ringo in that picture.  (Kind of a stretch, I guess).

Bit of rain now falling in Annapolis at 2:30.

ETA: With thunder . But the whole storm is quite small. 

1 hour ago, IronTy said:

Yeah if I ever move to a new house all the handlers are going to be in the building envelope.  I'd probably only move into a single story home at this point so I guess it wouldn't matter anyway.  

I just checked the attic with a temp gun - decking 136F.  Return duct to the air handler - 106F exterior.  Cold air ducts to the rooms, all about 96F exterior.  They're all insulated of course but there's no way around heat gain being in that environment.  Air coming out of the vents is 68F, barely enough to cool the rooms even running nonstop.  

The delta between return air wet bulb and supply air is going to be around 20F. That is about the best you can do. So if the air coming out is 68F then I would suspect that your indoor ambient air temp is about 88F.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Time sensitive, but if you take a look at the visible satellite loop, you'll see a small line of convection blow up to the east of Baltimore, but the anvil level winds are from the east and blow the cirrus tops back west. Really neat.

EDIT: Finally got a gif of it to upload!

CODNEXLAB-GOES-East-local-Virginia-02-17_31Z-20220808_counties-map-id_-11-1n-10-100.thumb.gif.6f8f913e316e0c160f0d1913a1e9334b.gif

I am literally in that envelop of no precip. I watched this occur as I can see the storm over the bay from my house.

16 minutes ago, KAOS said:

The delta between return air wet bulb and supply air is going to be around 20F. That is about the best you can do. So if the air coming out is 68F then I would suspect that your indoor ambient air temp is about 88F.

75F indoors in my master bedroom right now.  Perhaps the dynamics are different due to my downstairs unit which is putting out 58F air at the same time.  It's waaaaaaasay more effective.  

Just now, IronTy said:

75F indoors in my master bedroom right now.  Perhaps the dynamics are different due to my downstairs unit which is putting out 58F air at the same time.  It's waaaaaaasay more effective.  

Yeah... like that upstairs unit is doing next to nothing. I would want to see a minimum delta of 15F between return and supply. Is your air filter clean? That can make a huge difference. A dirty air filter can also cause the indoor coil to freeze, at which point it is doing virtually nothing.

6 minutes ago, KAOS said:

Yeah... like that upstairs unit is doing next to nothing. I would want to see a minimum delta of 15F between return and supply. Is your air filter clean? That can make a huge difference. A dirty air filter can also cause the indoor coil to freeze, at which point it is doing virtually nothing.

I literally replaced the filter this morning which is why I was measuring temps in the attic.  No icing, I had someone out to look at it about two weeks ago because I had same concerns but they said it looked good.  Maybe I need a second opinion.  

As an experiment I shut off the AC and am just running the fan circulating air.  Intake air is 75F and it's putting out 81F after a few mins.  Maybe my attic's just too hot.  

Do you have an attic fan? Perhaps that would help. Here is a link explaining some of what I was talking about and this example actually shows the air handler in the attic.

https://georgebrazilhvac.com/blog/what-temperature-should-my-central-air-conditioner-be-putting-out

Keep in mind the 20 degree Delta T is just rule of thumb. That said, it seems you have a problem. 68 degree supply air is not going to cool the house sufficiently (upstairs).

At least that is my experience.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic