Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter 2022

George BM

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

A flock of geese flew overhead while I was outside working on the lawn this morning. Seems a tad early to see them in flight, but I am no expert.

Many/most Canada geese around us are now year-round residents. So probably just moving between feedings. 

• Like 2

Hello gang!

Long time no talk. Hopefully everyone is doing well back east. I am currently staying as cool as I can in the eternal oven that is Texas. 

I wanted to drop in and say hello, and let y'all know I have some applications submitted to jobs back closer to home (All east of the Mississippi at least). Fingers crossed I'm back closer to where I want to be!

Have a great rest of the summer and let's get to fall! :)

• Like 18

1 minute ago, MillvilleWx said:

Hello gang!

Long time no talk. Hopefully everyone is doing well back east. I am currently staying as cool as I can in the eternal oven that is Texas. 

I wanted to drop in and say hello, and let y'all know I have some applications submitted to jobs back closer to home (All east of the Mississippi at least). Fingers crossed I'm back closer to where I want to be!

Have a great rest of the summer and let's get to fall! :)

As long as you bring the snow this winter -- if you get to come back closer to home -- and not the Texas heat, then fine ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

One huge issue with school calendars is the insane number of closures. Agree or disagree, that did not happen years ago. In 2010, on Ground Hog day, it snowed 6” that night. Winchester City schools were on a regular schedule the next day. Fast forward 7 years and we were missing school because of a forecast of snow or even as little as a dusting. With the virtual capability now, there is no excuse for a traditional snow day. Set your calendar and follow it and you could start after Labor Day and finish by the first of June. 

That assumes that all kids have the same access to the software, hardware, and internet needed to be virtual on short notice. Not only that, but if it did become a reality, then it would take the fun out of a snow day.

It's a tricky situation because of the litigiousness of society nowadays. School districts are always going to be looking over their shoulders to make sure there won't be some sort of legal action - threatened or real - based on a decision they made to send kids to school.

I heard that Fairfax County is considering going to a hours-based school calendar and less a days-based one. I guess the school days are already long enough so that they could reduce the number of days and still meet some sort of necessary quota for the amount of time the kids are in school. It might give the kids an extra week or so, whether that's used for summer break or something else during the regular school year.

4 hours ago, mattie g said:

That assumes that all kids have the same access to the software, hardware, and internet needed to be virtual on short notice. Not only that, but if it did become a reality, then it would take the fun out of a snow day.

It's a tricky situation because of the litigiousness of society nowadays. School districts are always going to be looking over their shoulders to make sure there won't be some sort of legal action - threatened or real - based on a decision they made to send kids to school.

I heard that Fairfax County is considering going to a hours-based school calendar and less a days-based one. I guess the school days are already long enough so that they could reduce the number of days and still meet some sort of necessary quota for the amount of time the kids are in school. It might give the kids an extra week or so, whether that's used for summer break or something else during the regular school year.

The hours thing is there, I just don’t know the details. I know it’s been used out here in years where we missed too many snow days to actually make up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kay said:

lots of dimensions to this whole discussion but just gonna weigh in on one thing: converting snow days to virtual learning days is sad

I’ve always thought on marginal days, have snow routes. Roads that are normally clear, safe, etc. Trust me, those parents would get the other ones there.

2 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

I’ve always thought on marginal days, have snow routes. Roads that are normally clear, safe, etc. Trust me, those parents would get the other ones there.

yeah marginal days are a whole discussion and ways to cut down, that's valid, I just...to me it would be such a bummer if virtual learning sucked all the fun out of (let's say legit) snow days, like we enjoyed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mattie g said:

The school system is not the parent. The parent has the say if their child/children goes to school. If they feel like it is not safe, they can drive them or hold them home for that day.  Just because the school is open when there is inclement weather, doesn’t mean you have to send them. 

1 hour ago, Interstate said:

The school system is not the parent. The parent has the say if their child/children goes to school. If they feel like it is not safe, they can drive them or hold them home for that day.  Just because the school is open when there is inclement weather, doesn’t mean you have to send them. 

Tell that to someone just itching to blame an accident - whether a bus accident or a parent driving a kid to school - on a school district's decision to open schools on a marginal snow day.

I hear what you're saying and I agree with you, but the reality is that a school district and/or the district administrators will be strung up (metaphorically speaking, of course) if they make a decision that could potentially be viewed as contributing to some unfortunate event.

Now let's take the other side. You have parents who don't want to be inconvenienced by school closings and feel that the schools should be open so they can have the teachers play babysitters for the day. Those people suck, but that's another constituency you need to answer to, so you have to take that all into account and make the best decision possible each time there's an inclement weather day.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic