• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

I’m out camping this weekend at Johnson Sauk Trail State Park, just north of Kewanee IL. There were repeated rounds of rain/t’storms Fri night and through the day on Saturday.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to do any real chasing on Saturday, but did manage to see a very brief funnel cloud about 10 miles southwest of the park as some severe warned activity moved in around mid-afternoon Saturday. Then, Saturday evening while exiting the park for a bit, I was greeted by this nice base/lowering on a rain shower just to the west-northwest of the park. Similar activity had produced funnel clouds across E IA and NW IL during the late afternoon and evening on Saturday.

6b43c4cda1f8a6970ecf02a2ea6aca31.jpeg

• Like 10

Had a landspout touchdown in East Central IN yesterday afternoon.

NOUS43 KIND 210010
PNSIND
INZ021-028>031-035>049-051>057-060>065-067>072-210815-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
810 PM EDT SAT AUG 20 2022

...NWS DAMAGE SURVEY FOR 08/20/22 TORNADO EVENT #1...

...TORNADO #1...

RATING:                 EF0
ESTIMATED PEAK WIND:    70 MPH
PATH LENGTH /STATUTE/:  0.0559 MILES
PATH WIDTH /MAXIMUM/:   20.0 YARDS
FATALITIES:             0
INJURIES:               0

START DATE:             08/20/2022
START TIME:             03:29 PM EDT
START LOCATION:         3 NNW WINCHESTER / RANDOLPH COUNTY / IN
START LAT/LON:          40.2224 / -84.9967

END DATE:               08/20/2022
END TIME:               03:31 PM EDT
END LOCATION:           3 NNW WINCHESTER / RANDOLPH COUNTY / IN
END LAT/LON:            40.2231 / -84.9961

SURVEY SUMMARY:
A LANDSPOUT TORNADO BRIEFLY TOUCHED DOWN NORTH OF WINCHESTER.
WHILE ON THE GROUND, THE TORNADO CAME IN CONTACT WITH AN OLD
OUTBUILDING, DAMAGING THE MEDAL ENCASING AND THE ROOF STRUCTURE.
PARTS OF THE ROOF WERE THROWN DOWNWIND, WITH A FEW 2'X 4' BOARDS
SCATTERED BETWEEN THE ROOF AND THE BUILDING. THE TORNADO LIFTED
SHORTLY AFTERWARDS WITH NO FURTHER DAMAGE. 

21 hours ago, Hoosier said:

It's actually been fairly dry around here this month.

ORD only had 0.44" in Aug through yesterday, which is over 2" below average.

Strong E-W gradient to precipitation this month in northern Illinois. DeKalb is up to 6.48" for the month, 1.7" from this last system. Freeport is the bullseye, over a foot of rain this month. Looks like spring outside here.

1 hour ago, mjwise said:

Strong E-W gradient to precipitation this month in northern Illinois. DeKalb is up to 6.48" for the month, 1.7" from this last system. Freeport is the bullseye, over a foot of rain this month. Looks like spring outside here.

Indeed.  ORD now at 1.05" for the month and I noticed there was actually a small D0 area added back in on the latest drought monitor.

3 hours ago, mjwise said:

There's quite a variation around Michigan too now.  Still extremely dry over much of Northeast Lower MI, as well as the "Lake Erie Shadow"  zone between Detroit and Toledo. 

I don't know how accurate these radar estimates are, but the showers and storms yesterday put down buckets over extremely localized spots.  Kind of a tropical pattern with scattered slow moving storms blossoming in the afternoon with outflow / lake-breeze interactions determining where the heaviest rain falls.

Untitled.jpg

16 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Another nice downpour, up to 0.95 for today, 1.13" since last evening.

Always nice to see this out the front door.

082022-1.jpg

Love the contrasting colours and the mid-day bightness, love that pic.

Low was a higher than avg 19C/67F overnight. I'm finally getting a long downpour making up for the misses last week and I'm at 20mm  / 0.79in. It was a cluster of heavy showers (minimal thunder) and now this is an unique radar look:

Top Bruce Covered TWN Radar Aug 21 2022 1.png

ORD's high overachieved over the HRRR by 4-5 degrees.  Even the runs from this afternoon missed by that much.  That's a pretty good trick to pull off.  Usually you're not going to beat the HRRR by that much unless the HRRR is modeling storms in the area and it ends up more sunny or something like that, but that's not what happened today.

7 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

This whole summer has been boring.

90's in DeKalb:

May - 3

June - 6

July - 2

August (assuming current forecasts hold true through the 31st) - 1 (only a 91, and we haven't had a high over 82 since that)

May and June had me thinking we were in for a real steamer on par with 2012, but summer in most of this subforum just kind of rolled over after the solstice heat.

11 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

More micro storms 

yeah. bizarre. on the patio with mainly clear skies and got constant cloud to cloud flashes of lightning at very low levels like a shadow effect from the storms off to my east. May have never experienced that before. 

Nothing impressive but the warmest wx in a while looks to be coming on Sunday and possibly Monday.  Maybe a make a run at 90 in the urban core of Chicago kind of setup.

It took until the last few days of the month and it’s lower end, but finally a shot to rival my call.

ATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE, IL  
1122 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2022  

UPDATE  

ISSUED AT 1120 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2022  

MAIN UPDATES THIS MORNING WERE TO DECREASE CLOUD COVER, INCREASE  
HIGH TEMPERATURES, AND FINE-TUNE PRECIPITATION CHANCES.