Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2022

Rtd208

10 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Looks as if the downpour in Somerset county is on track to hit here shortly. Keeping my fingers crossed .... I'm desperate for the rain.

Finally it looks like we might get some rain 

I mean it's like putting a bandaid on a decapitation but it's something 

• Like 2

6th warmest July on record in NJ. 8 out of the 10 warmest Julys have occurred since 2010. Nice write-up from the NJ climatologist. 

Some highlights

https://www.njweather.org/content/once-again-hot-and-time-around-dry-july-2022-recap

When it comes to recent hot Julys in New Jersey, the beat goes on. This year the heat was joined by quite limited precipitation, something not often seen in recent years. The statewide average temperature of 78.1° was 2.7° above the 1991–2020 normal, ranking 6th warmest since records commenced in 1895. Eight of the ten warmest Julys have occurred since 2010, leaving only 1955 and 1999 as top-ten outliers (Table 1). The statewide average maximum was 88.6° (+2.9°, 6th warmest) and the minimum 67.5° (+2.4°, 4th warmest). Northern counties averaged 75.9° (+2.2°, 9th warmest), southern counties 79.5° (+3.0°, 3rd warmest), and coastal areas 78.8° (+2.6°, tied as 4th warmest).

On 24 July days one or more NJWxNet station reached a maximum of 90° or higher. This is just one day fewer than the record-hot July of 2020. Hillsborough-Duke (Somerset County) had 21 days of 90° maximums, one ahead of the Newark Airport station in Elizabeth (Union) and three above New Brunswick (Middlesex). The latter two stations have weather records extending back to 1931 and 1893 and this year experienced, respectively, their 2nd (tied with 1993; +4.4°) and 3rd (+3.1°) hottest Julys. It is no coincidence that these thermal anomalies were among the largest in NJ, given that these stations were among the driest locations. Newark Airport received just 0.55”, the least on record, while New Brunswick saw 0.79”, their second lowest July total. The resulting dry conditions meant that the ground and atmosphere heated up more readily than in wetter locations where there was more evaporation to assist in reducing temperatures. The airport recorded five days with highs of 100°–102°. Occurring consecutively (20th–24th), this marked the longest streak on record. Hillsborough-Duke missed this 100° run by a day, only making it to 99° on the 22nd.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Allsnow said:

Odd…not getting much rain when the radar shows differently 

I know you're a little south of me. The dark red on radar went right over me here in the extreme northern part of the county. It came down buckets here. A half inch of rain in a very short period of time. We had some close lightning strikes and 40mph wind gusts. Best storm in a long time here. Glad I finally can take a break from watering the vegetable garden for a couple days.

8 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Getting blasted

6 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I know you're a little south of me. The dark red on radar went right over me here in the extreme northern part of the county. It came down buckets here. A half inch of rain in a very short period of time. We had some close lightning strikes and 40mph wind gusts. Best storm in a long time here. Glad I finally can take a break from watering the vegetable garden for a couple days.

Just light rain and thunder here meh. Not even enough yet to get under the trees