Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

June into early July was yoreish, but we just seem to lose those airmasses by mid July. Extensive losses of permafrost and sea ice doesn't help. All of that sun's energy can go into warming the airmasses in the prairie provinces instead of trying to melt ice. They're modified quail queefs by the time they reach us now.

28 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, you mentioned that last year, and some truth to that I think...although I think there's been cold lurking to our north. June was more of a sustained trough near us positioned in a manner to deliver constant high pressure and CoC..but yeah..reminded us of our 80s youth. 

Most of the N Hemisphere has been really warm in summer in the past decade or so outside of the North Atlantic and Greenland where they have had cold summers. It's not like winter where the cold has been very present in Canada and plains of US even while we torch in the east.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

They were back closer to the river early in the 20th century, but it's been at the airport site since before WW2.

I'd be interested in comparing the low temps at first order sites like CON/BDL with more rural coops that also radiate....radiational cooling is really sensitive to land use so sometimes a warming trend can be locally exacerbated because of that (this happened at Dulles-IAD pretty clearly between the 1980s/early 1990s and 2000s)....my guess is CON hasn't been super affected by land use but BDL might be more likely because I know they have all sorts of crap built up around them then even compared to the 1990s or early 2000s.

46 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That's raccoons, foxes will track during the day

Raccoons are more nocturnal than most of the canids, but I've had normal-acting coons around here in daytime.  

The dark feet are diagnostic for red fox.  As the 2 pics show, much different than coyotes.  Also, the fox's tail is much longer/larger in relation to its body than the coyote's and has a distinct white/light-colored tip.

Edit:  Quick shower 3-3:10 this afternoon added another 0.15", so now August is at 97% of average, or barely distinguished from normal.  However, BN is BN, and this makes 11 BN months in the last 13 and 13 in 16.

19 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

My oh my it is beautiful out here

This may be the most utopian syrup air we've drunk in this summer thus far.   I'm like ...my god - you just stand there looking around.  We've had some beauts but this seems to be exotically soothing for some reason. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1