Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, you mentioned that last year, and some truth to that I think...although I think there's been cold lurking to our north. June was more of a sustained trough near us positioned in a manner to deliver constant high pressure and CoC..but yeah..reminded us of our 80s youth. 

Definitely cooler air hanging out in QB all summer. We just got on the wrong side of things after early July.

But growing up I always expected rad nights well into the 40s in July and August. Now we're lucky to even tickle 49F.

15 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Definitely cooler air hanging out in QB all summer. We just got on the wrong side of things after early July.

But growing up I always expected rad nights well into the 40s in July and August. Now we're lucky to even tickle 49F.

I mean lol at the change in extreme Jul/Aug mins at CON over the last 50+ years. Multiple years with 30s or lower ever month. Multiple years with freezes in August. We enjoy the chill in the interior now when it gets down to 55F.

Click to maximize and view at full size...

con mins.png

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. It was a short summeh. Like 6wks of sustained hhh. No severe, no canes. Many were trapped in Stein’s basement without an escape plan.

When I get beaten by the dews and heat it’s been a hot summer....just sayin.....

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I mean lol at the change in extreme Jul/Aug mins at CON over the last 50+ years. Multiple years with 30s or lower ever month. Multiple years with freezes in August. We enjoy the chill in the interior now when it gets down to 55F.

Click to maximize and view at full size...

con mins.png

Yea CON has definitely lost the overnight low mins, has been 20 years, you did set a record low max last July. Has that station ever moved?

Do foxes go after dogs? Was on a call and all of a sudden I see a big fox just walking through the yard. Not sure I ever seen a fox that big. Thank God the dog wasn't in the room...he probably would have went wild. Usually outside playing too around that time. The Fox would have had a 2 for 1 meal

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

When I get beaten by the dews and heat it’s been a hot summer....just sayin.....

Was a hot run for sure looking forward to the next 4 days. Nice green up all around town today. The manufactured lawns look like crap still. All those heavily fertilized weed killer lawns were burned to a crisp. You can just tell driving around. 

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yea CON has definitely lost the overnight low mins, has been 20 years, you did set a record low max last July. Has that station ever moved?

They were back closer to the river early in the 20th century, but it's been at the airport site since before WW2.

Just now, weatherwiz said:

Do foxes go after dogs? Was on a call and all of a sudden I see a big fox just walking through the yard. Not sure I ever seen a fox that big. Thank God the dog wasn't in the room...he probably would have went wild. Usually outside playing too around that time. The Fox would have had a 2 for 1 meal

Foxes don't get more than 30 lbs how big is your dog. Yes they will eat little dogs.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They were back closer to the river early in the 20th century, but it's been at the airport site since before WW2.

I had 48 in August this year. Been a super hot muggy stretch but as Luke said the beautiful June and up to the 3rd week in July knocked off the sting. The dry soils I am sure allowed temps higher than usual.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We most certainly did not  It as the most humid month in SNE history with 14” of rain from daily HHH and tstorms . There was no cold fronts with days of dry cocks 

Most certainly did. One week example with no rain after a strong cold front.

2021-07-22 77 57 67.0 -4.3 0 2 T 0.0 0
2021-07-23 78 61 69.5 -1.8 0 5 0.00 0.0 0
2021-07-24 79 58 68.5 -2.7 0 4 T 0.0 0
2021-07-25 73 61 67.0 -

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Codfish is right though. Been awhile since we had a few days of heat and humidity beaten down by a strong cold front with temps near 75- 80 and low humidity. 

We have a bit more luck further north where dry NW flow can help.

Up in more NNE we are probably getting what SNE used to get after heat.

But we’ve had some nice breaks up here…. Heat wave followed by a stretch of below normal… 4-5 days of mins in 40s, even a high in the 60s.

But note the high end is +10 to +15 departures, then -3F to -7F cool shot.  Averages above normal.

But I feel like we’ve had some nice relief behind heaters when you get 40s nights and highs upper 60s to low 80s.

13481A84-8F33-4394-8FA0-732F2B4D6489.jpeg.023a4fcff9d82b58197be869fb4d65dd.jpeg

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We have a bit more luck further north where dry NW flow can help.

Up in more NNE we are probably getting what SNE used to get after heat.

But we’ve had some nice breaks up here…. Heat wave followed by a stretch of below normal… 4-5 days of mins in 40s, even a high in the 60s.

But note the high end is +10 to +15 departures, then -3F to -7F cool shot.  Averages above normal.

But I feel like we’ve had some nice relief behind heaters when you get 40s nights and highs upper 60s to low 80s.

13481A84-8F33-4394-8FA0-732F2B4D6489.jpeg.023a4fcff9d82b58197be869fb4d65dd.jpeg

We had those few days where you dropped into the 40s...but otherwise this has been the trend for years. A lot of sustained warmth with weak ass breaks in the heat.

• Like 1