Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

44 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

Does anyone remember real cold fronts in the summer. The 88-98f degree heat is broken as a line of showers and tstorms passes nw to se through the area and within a few hours caa has begun on the heels of a decent northerly to northwesterly breeze. The next morning be is bright and sunny with cobalt blue skies, temps 50 to 60f and the day goes on to feature sunshine mixed with puffy clouds and max temps mid to upper 70s and a stiff but beautiful n/nw breeze 15 to 20 mph with a few higher gusts....dews around 70 tumble into the 40s and 50s.

Where did these cold fronts go?? Now you get more fractured storms then a windshift to light north which goes light and variable. Dewpoints around 70 drop into the low to mid 60s and eventually around 60. The next day is mostly sunny with highs well into the 80s

Up here we had lots of nice CF during the first half of met summer, with mostly fresh CoC wx and no sustained heat.  2nd half of July and nearly all of August have been totally different and dewey.  July 1-16 had temps 1.5° BN.  Since then, it's been nearly 3° AN, which would be no news in Jan-Feb but is significant for the warmest part of the year.

Stratus had 0.72" this morning, most coming 6-7:30 though RA began prior to 5 and ended after 9:30.  (Local forecasters' 5-10 AM was amazingly precise.)  That brings August precip to 3.65", which is only 7% BN.  Not often does a month with more days with rain (17) than without come in BN.   However, that 0.72" is the greatest calendar-day precip since the strong TS of June 14, which is lame.  6/14 had 1.14" from 2 TS, including more in 10 minutes (0.85") from #2 than in any of the 77 days since.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Sounds like the entire month of June and first half of July too.

Yeah I was briefly thinking we might have a really nice summer but then we got put through hell for about 5-6 weeks starting in early/mid July.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Not including last night. You can see NE MASS and the entire south coast sit at about 2-4” of rain the past two months. Many in the central SNE are at 6-8” which isn’t too far below normal. 

ECFCF567-17DC-40EF-824F-D9E646C58E8F.png

That map is lethally accurate...I'm in that minimum sliver with 2.18" for July and August.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I was briefly thinking we might have a really nice summer but then we got put through hell for about 5-6 weeks starting in early/mid July.

Yea. It was a short summeh. Like 6wks of sustained hhh. No severe, no canes. Many were trapped in Stein’s basement without an escape plan.

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it was lining up real nice through the 4th of July week.  June had to be one of the best warm season months in a long time.  Big diurnal ranges.

I think up north we had more influence even during the hot/humid periods of July/August from those drier Canadian air masses and the SE Canada troughiness that persisted… it felt gradient-like a lot of the time.

1 hour ago, codfishsnowman said:

Does anyone remember real cold fronts in the summer. The 88-98f degree heat is broken as a line of showers and tstorms passes nw to se through the area and within a few hours caa has begun on the heels of a decent northerly to northwesterly breeze. The next morning be is bright and sunny with cobalt blue skies, temps 50 to 60f and the day goes on to feature sunshine mixed with puffy clouds and max temps mid to upper 70s and a stiff but beautiful n/nw breeze 15 to 20 mph with a few higher gusts....dews around 70 tumble into the 40s and 50s.

Where did these cold fronts go?? Now you get more fractured storms then a windshift to light north which goes light and variable. Dewpoints around 70 drop into the low to mid 60s and eventually around 60. The next day is mostly sunny with highs well into the 80s

I recall that type of front. They were more common in the past. The one I recall the most was  thecold front in August of 1976.  The day after the front passed it was sunny and in the 60's, and it was breezy, That front was a harbinger of things to come during the fall and winter of 76/77.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Actually I'll correct that and say more closer to normal for June. Which in the new norms feel like BN haha.

I figured with the new normals that maybe we could get a string of BN months sprinkled in over the next few years, yet so far, here we are.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I figured with the new normals that maybe we could get a string of BN months sprinkled in over the next few years, yet so far, here we are.

Codfish is right though. Been awhile since we had a few days of heat and humidity beaten down by a strong cold front with temps near 75- 80 and low humidity. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Codfish is right though. Been awhile since we had a few days of heat and humidity beaten down by a strong cold front with temps near 75- 80 and low humidity. 

June into early July was yoreish, but we just seem to lose those airmasses by mid July. Extensive losses of permafrost and sea ice doesn't help. All of that sun's energy can go into warming the airmasses in the prairie provinces instead of trying to melt ice. They're modified quail queefs by the time they reach us now.

• Like 1

Just now, dendrite said:

June into early July was yoreish, but we just seem to lose those airmasses by mid July. Extensive losses of permafrost and sea ice doesn't help. All of that sun's energy can go into warming the airmasses in the prairie provinces instead of trying to melt ice. They're modified quail queefs by the time they reach us now.

Yeah, you mentioned that last year, and some truth to that I think...although I think there's been cold lurking to our north. June was more of a sustained trough near us positioned in a manner to deliver constant high pressure and CoC..but yeah..reminded us of our 80s youth.