Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I beat myself up more about measuring snow. It frustrates me when I can't get a good measurement...which happens a lot. Yet I love a good windy storm. :lol: 

Ha certainly not an issue 95% of the time here.  Anything below like 1,500ft elevation seems to fall straight down.  Not like mostly straight down… but like stacking on power lines and fence posts type of straight down lol.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's true, I use my best judgement. The one I have breaks it down by 1/8" So a little more detail.  Life gets busy, so I don't necessarily care too much if a whiff by a few hundredths when reporting. LOL.

And I thought the New England forum was the place to go for serious weather discussion.  What is the big deal about buying a 4" rain gauge that can be used in all seasons?  My Davis Pro is super in all but the winter season.  The rain gauge is a cheap backup. 

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I will say, I don’t do it for most snow events but there are times where I’m like hey, the Stratus collected that snow nicely… why not bring it inside and an hour later it’s liquid and you see how bad the models were with the QPF forecast :lol:.

I pull the Stratus for the cold seasons, Novie thru mid-April.  Cocorahs' snow procedures recommend taking out the inner tube and leaving the outer, which is said to tolerate some rain-then-freeze.  However, sequences like below while we were in SNJ with the grandkids might disprove that, and I'd rather not have to buy a new gauge.

December 2018
21    37   34   2.09"   
22   49   30   0.08"
23   30     8                (Afternoon max was probably about 20 and the low likely came at my usual 9 PM obs time.)
24   30     3

The 5-gal bucket I use to catch cold-season precip had a major bulge on the bottom due to the ice cake within when we returned home.  I was surprised the bottom hadn't broken, but the bucket is somewhat softer plastic (and slightly tapered) compared to the Stratus.

Just now, wkd said:

And I thought the New England forum was the place to go for serious weather discussion.  What is the big deal about buying a 4" rain gauge that can be used in all seasons?  My Davis Pro is super in all but the winter season.  The rain gauge is a cheap backup. 

You're right. Just put me on mute because I don't have a stratus. If you don't have a stratus range gauge, you can't have a good meteorological discussion. Just hate to see it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah big totals south of Bethel. Idk a lot about that area…unorganized territory of south Oxford?? Whatever that is got dumped on. A little area of 5-6” in there. 

0.02” final here. :lol:

Paris, Sumner area. Fantastic weenie spot for snow and severe. Good friend lives in Sumner, beautiful spot with huge hills and beautiful lakes. 

I just want to come clean and say I usually use the ASOS station nearby at MVL for temps/dews (same valley location).  I do not have a station in my backyard and there’s a PWS like a quarter mile away that might run a tick cooler at night and warmer daytime… but I still am partial to the ASOS.

Hopefully folks will still discuss weather with me.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I just want to come clean and say I usually use the ASOS station nearby at MVL for temps/dews (same valley location).  I do not have a station in my backyard and there’s a PWS like a quarter mile away that might run a tick cooler at night and warmer daytime… but I still am partial to the ASOS.

Hopefully folks will still discuss weather with me.

It was nice discussing weather with you, but we can no longer have a serious discussion about Froude #s.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We can go from counting dead grass blades to Steve hoping in the chopper and hoisting SOS signals in a matter of a couple coastals. 

Am begging for an offshore monster storm to get the flippers on and go big. 13 years ago the best bodysurfing day of my life from Hurricane Bill. Go big or go home. Top of 15 plus feet looking over the dunes at the coastal ponds . Then a glance down at 15 to 20 feet of nothing but sand at the bottom. Adrenaline is a great thing.

FB_IMG_1661346991618.jpg

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

You've been preaching the official stratus cocorahs one for how many posts now and now you're including all 4" gauges?

I have never heard of or preached Stratus.  What is the difference between Stratus or other brands?  I don't have a Stratus.  My gauge looks like the one you just posted.  For sure it wasn't Stratus, whatever that company is.

Over the 40 plus years of weather observing I have had 10s of different kind of equipment,  some meh, some excellent. I take my obs pretty seriously. I try to be exact, like Brian, melt snow for W/E with warm water. Stratus is the standard. Cheap and easy. Join Cocorahs and help the community

• Like 2