Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

Just now, kdxken said:

Good!

"But not all hope is lost for this year’s colors, said foliage expert Jim Salge, who pens an annual forecast in Yankee Magazine. While droughts make the leaves turn earlier and quicker, “counterintuitively, it can create a really brief but bright and vibrant season,” Salge said

Lipstick on a pig

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Lipstick on a pig

Might be a pretty hot pig.

The reason the colors are vibrant in the fall, particularly the reds, is because of anthocyanin compounds in the leaves, noted Mass Audubon conservation scientist Joshua Rapp, describing how the anthocyanin act as sunscreen for the plant. “So if it’s really sunny, the tree needs more anthocyanin to protect itself from the sun, which can help make the colors more vibrant in the fall,” he said.

15 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Good!

"But not all hope is lost for this year’s colors, said foliage expert Jim Salge, who pens an annual forecast in Yankee Magazine. While droughts make the leaves turn earlier and quicker, “counterintuitively, it can create a really brief but bright and vibrant season,” Salge said

Jim!  Haven’t heard from him in a while.  He was a poster on the forums back in the day.  Amazing photographer around the MWN area back when he would post.  I think he was a Mt Washington forecaster for the observatory back then?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don’t think it  does .  Other than GFS everything is or has been shifting west . I fully expect to wake up to a full model suite jacking NW of CT up to SNH

I'm not on board for the widespread 1.5-2", but I think anything less than .50" imby would be a fail. My guess is I'll end up somewhere around .75 for the two days. 

9 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Thompson dam Thompson Ct

FB_IMG_1661132081327.jpg

I’m heading down at the end of the month and Labor Day Weekend, will be interesting to see the water level at the dam.  The old railroad track berm was almost all exposed across the entire body of water in July, can’t imagine now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I know most will be happy to hear the daily Stowe rains are here.

Bone dry on the mountain but huge downpour for the village, and I’ve seen several cloud to ground bolts to the valley floor.

Doesn’t even rain on the mountain anymore, only to keep the village grass as green as possible.

4C8F2EC5-3C9C-4CBD-A45E-719A83BEB9A2.thumb.jpeg.ab66839e875187035b33cfc47f30269b.jpeg

87568582-0080-426E-8B40-4FDB9DD5A3EC.thumb.jpeg.941db6bd82b85d08b0431c5ce3d04674.jpeg

To associate the above media with real obs, this downpour put down 0.23” at my station… less than I expected, as radar pegged 0.50+ as possible.  Never large amounts, but frequent watering.

59711DAB-554F-43A4-BA86-F449BA2D3B83.jpeg.929b1a5f9dda12bfbc8e3b8271d96848.jpeg

2 hours ago, codfishsnowman said:

Thanks for the info. I thought it was only around 20. What a difference 90-93 with 60 dews as opposed to the same highs with 70 dews

We are down 7-10” of rain here on the S FL east coast from Vero to West Palm in the middle of rain season!! It has been days of 90-94 with dews of 75; I’m done! 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 5:13 PM, CoastalWx said:

Basically. We lower sunglasses and look at yummy mummies.

Sunglasses are a must .

On 8/20/2022 at 5:47 PM, CoastalWx said:

Was a great beach day. That peninsula known as Duxbury beach is a treasure.  Stupid plovers threatening to close the whole place down. @amarshall leading the charge to prevent that.

To take a 2 hr conversation into a 30 second explanation. They've weaponized least terns into forcing a total closure on driving on oversand for 70+ days in the summer while facing a total closure in the coming years.  Our kids are 4th generation of driving on duxbury beach. No one wants to kill or threaten birds.  We can exist with the birds while preserving our historical activity of oversand access.  

We're lawyered up.  They backed us into a corner and we're coming out swinging. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Sunglasses are a must .

To take a 2 hr conversation into a 30 second explanation. They've weaponized least terns into forcing a total closure on driving on oversand for 70+ days in the summer while facing a total closure in the coming years.  Our kids are 4th generation of driving on duxbury beach. No one wants to kill or threaten birds.  We can exist with the birds while preserving our historical activity of oversand access.  

We're lawyered up.  They backed us into a corner and we're coming out swinging. 

So what’s the issue exactly? That people are paying for permits and then they pull the rug out and you can’t drive on the beach for most of the summer?

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So what’s the issue exactly? That people are paying for permits and then they pull the rug out and you can’t drive on the beach for most of the summer?

Closures used to be 0 days, the 12 days, then 30, then 50, then 70.  We now get 3 weeks a year in the summer based on a technicality of least terns being protected. There's millions of least terns and they're a "species of special concern" only in Massachusetts. 

https://www.audubon.org/news/-interior-least-terns-comeback-model-conservation-success

We all love the birds. No one is saying we want to have a Baja 1000 race down duxbury beach. We all want to protect the dunes.  Our money for stickers pay for coastal erosion mitigation. 

2 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Closures used to be 0 days, the 12 days, then 30, then 50, then 70.  We now get 3 weeks a year in the summer based on a technicality of least terns being protected. There's millions of least terns and they're a "species of special concern" only in Massachusetts. 

https://www.audubon.org/news/-interior-least-terns-comeback-model-conservation-success

We all love the birds. No one is saying we want to have a Baja 1000 race down duxbury beach. We all want to protect the dunes.  Our money for stickers pay for coastal erosion mitigation. 

Hope you win . 

3 minutes ago, amarshall said:

Why has the closures gone up so much? Is there any scientific reason for that? Or is it the town just wanting to limit and control people driving on the beach?

Just doing a quick google search and it seems many places make it work without closing beaches or anything. Fences, people watching, etc etc.

Not sure why duxbury is so much different, unless the town is using this to control beach access.

Id say you have a pretty good case just basing it off a quick search of what other places with these birds do.

7 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Why has the closures gone up so much? Is there any scientific reason for that? Or is it the town just wanting to limit and control people driving on the beach?

Just doing a quick google search and it seems many places make it work without closing beaches or anything. Fences, people watching, etc etc.

Not sure why duxbury is so much different, unless the town is using this to control beach access.

Id say you have a pretty good case just basing it off a quick search of what other places with these birds do.

The town apparently leases the beach from a conservation committee. This committee now obviously has an agenda to slowly close off the beach. @amarshallcan correct me. I think some of the sticker money pays for that too?