Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

17 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I pay a $20 monthly connection charge and then $3 a ccf (748 gallons). I only heavily water my fenced in 4000 sqft yard mainly for the dogs.  Lawns need about an inch of water a week and that works out to about .6 gallons per sqft. So my 4000 sqft lawn needs about 2400 gallons to get 1 inch of water. That would be a little over 3 ccf or about $10 dollars. My winter bill averages $30-35 a month in the non summer months and around $80 watering in the summer. 

Just received my quarterly water/sewer and without any watering of anything, my water portion was $96.28.  The thing is we get charged on the water usage going back into the sewer, unless you install a meter on the outflow that you have to get through the City.

28 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

They are literally handing out fines to anyone caught watering outside in many towns in this area. The town of scituate I believe had already handed out over 100 citations I believe.

Those restrictions extend to private well water too in many areas. So you can be fined for watering even if you have your own well 

Lol Massachusetts 

37 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Despite the drought in CT not a single reservoir is in drought stage. The August 5th Surface Reservoir Capacity Measurements and Trends has the states reservoirs at 94.3% of normal. 

https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Drinking-Water/DWS/Reservoir-Data

Yes totally true even ground water levels were lower just last year. 

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Some are on full tilt from this.

Part of me would like to see a nice nor'easter to just break up the monotony and set the stage for the cold season, but there is a more sinister side that would like to see how much vegetation we can kill. I guess I don't really care either way.

40 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

They are literally handing out fines to anyone caught watering outside in many towns in this area. The town of scituate I believe had already handed out over 100 citations I believe.

Those restrictions extend to private well water too in many areas. So you can be fined for watering even if you have your own well 

yeah, that's not even funny. my parents house used to be on city water, with a well for irrigation. many folks in town had the same setup. most would have a sign out front stating that well water was in use so they wouldn't get hassled.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I mean; you may feel differently if you had to drill a new well because the guy down the road was watering his lawn 6 hours a day 

Quabbin 93% full. Wachusett 89%. 350 foot wells around here.  Even in Eastern Mass groundwater levels aren't crazy low. But anyways Mass sure loves its Govt oversight on private people and land. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Quabbin 93% full. Wachusett 89%. 350 foot wells around here.  Even in Eastern Mass groundwater levels aren't crazy low. But anyways Mass sure loves its Govt oversight on private people and land. 

I feel like droughts are a weather phenomenon that is almost always exaggerated.

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Say the same every year. It's a vegetative dryness. I use the long term Palmer Index not that crazy drought monitor. 

long-term-drought-indicator-blend-08-16-2022.png

palmer-drought-severity-index-(pdsi)-08-16-2022.png

I think the issue is that its difficult to quantify and there are so many different ways to attempt to do so.

That looks more realistic than the drought monitor, which seems a bit sensational.

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Part of me would like to see a nice nor'easter to just break up the monotony and set the stage for the cold season, but there is a more sinister side that would like to see how much vegetation we can kill. I guess I don't really care either way.

I don’t care either way myself. It’s just popcorn worthy watching weenies trying to steal rain from each other and comparing who’s drought is bigger.