Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I don't know if this is the "official" reading for KBOS.  It shows a high of 98.6F at 17:55.  If that is the case does it go down in the books as a 99F high?

Screenshot 2022-08-09 141736.jpg

It never hit 98.6F. The 5min obs are reported in whole C so it came in as 37C. And it was only a couple of spaced out obs so chances are it was only 98F (36.7C). We'll know for sure later. If 38C gets reported we know that's at least 100F.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

So last 6 days at KBOS 98 95 97 98 98 98+ pretty impressive  

I think that's gonna be a 99 today ..  just sayn'

It depends how the C term is rounded.

the 2:05 ob arrived 37 C.  The previous 1:54 was 36.1 which gave the 98 value after conversion.  Logically, do the round decimal up regardless of range?  I dunno..

But if 36.1 somehow rounded to 37 - that is catastrophically stupid policy.  

It's an interesting argument whether this thing is acting like a BD or a FD.

PWM was 91 when the wind abruptly flipped from W to NNE to E spanning a half hour.   They're under 70 now.  

Satellite looks like the boundary is extending W-E cutting through the heart of CNE ...making steady progress S.  Suggests that as this continues to press S against the will of the ridge ... locations will likely spend five minutes with a N flow and then it kicks around to the ENE.    

I should add ...for those along the NH/MA coasts... I don't know if inland stays more NW or whatever. 

man..in the meantime, sun is back out in rage since the rain and it's 86/76 ...  Not sure if the 96/72 before the wimp thunder was better or worse

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I think today will close the books at 98 at BOS.   Past 6 days we have 4 98s, one 97 and a measly 95.  

... and I can remember so many summers when 95 was just out of reach.  94 twice...92 a dozen times and lots of 88s.. That kind of summer can even be above average if the 86's are heavy loaded and the nights are mild.  

I think this is a special event.   It's interesting - how does it compare to that heat around 20th-26th of July.  I think that whole week was above 90 in more so in the interior, and Logan was tainted but ... I can't recall the dailies. Logan did pop 100's cherry on that Sunday

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

What a summer . More big boy dews settle in later next week and beyond well into September. Different than our childhoods for sure when it meant cool and fall 

My childhood featured some really hot starts to September as I recall.   

35 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I think that's gonna be a 99 today ..  just sayn'

It depends how the C term is rounded.

the 2:05 ob arrived 37 C.  The previous 1:54 was 36.1 which gave the 98 value after conversion.  Logically, do the round decimal up regardless of range?  I dunno..

But if 36.1 somehow rounded to 37 - that is catastrophically stupid policy.  

98F is 36.7C…99F is 37.2C…both are 37C ie the 2 possibilities. You generally would want to see multiple obs in a row of 37C to say it crept up from 98° to 99°. If it’s just a 37°C here and there sandwiched by 36C’s it’s likely the lower of the 2 possibilities.

The 5 min obs are confusing for most of us that really dig into the numbers. The temp is reported with less precision for the hourlies so it leaves us guessing what the converted F number really is. If they would just report temp/dew like the regular METARS and special obs we wouldn’t be talking about this 10x a year.