Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We’ve had multidecadal runs lacking high end cold before. I was just looking at the 1910 to 1940 period for CON. The monthly mins for those 30 years versus the current 30 (1992-2022). 

1910-40 vs 1992-2022
Jan -23 -28
Feb -23 -21
Mar -9 -11
Apr 8 4
May 26 24
Jun 32 33
Jul 41 40
Aug 38 39
Sep 26 26
Oct 16 16
Nov -2 3
Dec -21 -13

Not trying to deny climate change with this, but wonder if we have a warm period overlapping the global warming. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We’ve had multidecadal runs lacking high end cold before. I was just looking at the 1910 to 1940 period for CON. The monthly mins for those 30 years versus the current 30 (1992-2022). 

1910-40 vs 1992-2022
Jan -23 -28
Feb -23 -21
Mar -9 -11
Apr 8 4
May 26 24
Jun 32 33
Jul 41 40
Aug 38 39
Sep 26 26
Oct 16 16
Nov -2 3
Dec -21 -13

Not trying to deny climate change with this, but wonder if we have a warm period overlapping the global warming. 

Bingo!   ...big personal fan of "anomalies in competition"  In fact, the one's that seem to be "winning" tend to even hide their competitor when they are in the lead.

CC/GW is uniquely qualified to take a back seat to any ... 2-decade warm stint(cold stint) depending.  

That said, LOL ...umm, I don't really believe cold winters are a thing of the past.  That was snark to poke the hornet's nest during a torrid summer, such that those that want winter might be ( hopefully) particularly offended that we could conceivably move from this paradigm into an uninspired winter that offers 0 pay back.   ... 

No takers though .. <_<

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yesterday’s 92F was hottest of the year here.

Hit 90F once in May and once in June… zero 90F in July (what a great month, min of 40F, max 89F)… but 92F yesterday and we are at 88F so might hit it today too.

Yesterday my station hit its high for the year, 89.6°. Still no 90, right MPM!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Is there a place where I can get detailed historical SST plots for the region? This is OT from the heat/humidity/drought, but 26C seems much further north than usual, though there's no depth under that. 

natlanti.c.gif

Try this.

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/access/coastal-water-temperature-guide/natl.html

Most of Long Island Sound is 80 degrees which is way above normal. A friend on his boat said the water was 83 degrees in the harbor. 

Normal temp for New London is 72 and they are currently at 80. 

Screenshot_20220807-133745_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Is there a place where I can get detailed historical SST plots for the region? This is OT from the heat/humidity/drought, but 26C seems much further north than usual, though there's no depth under that. 

natlanti.c.gif

It's a good question ...

Shy of emailing these oceanographic institutions/science orgs, the Internet seems to have trouble finding that data. 

For me, I want the 'record breaking ssts'

Just anecdotally I recall some fantastically balmy waters between 1998 and 2000's summers in there.  Off and on 76 a down near Narraganset/ L.I. Sound, since. 

But, I don't recall ever seeing a circumvallate that large NE of Boston over the lower GOM that is engulfing 72 to 75 F SSTs.   That's nuts.  

There's that typical upwelling core near ACK with that chilly node - or ...it's a perennial buoy malfunction - which ever. heh.   But otherwise, between the GOM warm pool and the 26C isotherm packed in so tight in the Shelf ...uh, that's pushing it in the aggregate. 

The other aspect - the thermocline is not extraordinarily deep N of the mid Jersey. Those warm waters really are quite surface.  10 or 20 foot down and it's testicle ache under that disk of warm water NNE of Cape Ann, no doubt.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

68F at the Picnic Tables.

3FC9CD33-C558-4E33-B89C-2DC1AF4EC20A.thumb.jpeg.74976c04b4880783ecd6c60eb910bdca.jpeg

Our daughter and niece hiked Cannon last Sunday.  Our daughter wanted an early start but our niece slept in where they were crashing at daughter’s friend’s place.

They started up from where they parked at 2pm, hit the summit late and barely made it back to the car before dark.  They then drove back to our place arriving around 1AM.  Our daughter was worried but niece has no concept being a native of Chicago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Tomatoes have been great here. Too many actually. But the peppers are lacking . Not much production 

Oddly this has been our best year for peppers- by far.  Tomatoes doing well too.  Strawberries were a bust.  It could have been that the plants are getting tired or it could have been the lab constantly running through the bed and dislodging the fruit.

• Like 1