Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

47 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Today was really interesting today to see the storms moving NE while the anvils were being blown west.

This afternoons time lapse from my cam shows that well.  I don't get to see too many days with towers and storms going up all around me.

https://video.nest.com/clip/bc4b6dd2709a45e9ae450216642e698e.mp4

.08" of rain as I slid through gaps in the showers and storm.

I love the cam. Does it come with a time lapse feature or did you have to put that together yourself?

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Wild.  Averaging 25” water during that time… you know what your average is roughly historically?

But when most of it falls in heavy run off storms in 3 months with a dry winter , spring and following summer .. it’s all a distant memory . Mother Nature loves to even things out. It never fails . I would say roughly 50” a year 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Heh…all I did was make a quip about his lawn. Wasn’t trying to rub the rain in. 

How’s the vegetation today? Get a nice response from the 1”+?

Just bustin’

and honestly, big time. My newer October glory red maple trees had wilting leaves and today they perked up nicely. Lawn even has a bit of green to it today. Amazing what an inch and a half of rain will do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But when most of it falls in heavy run off storms in 3 months with a dry winter , spring and following summer .. it’s all a distant memory . Mother Nature loves to even things out. It never fails . I would say roughly 50” a year 

For sure, Mother Nature loves her averages.  And yeah, last year’s rain is fairly useless societally, especially from a consumer demand for water stays high.  It’s not like we stockpile a wet year like they do in Cali.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

For sure, Mother Nature loves her averages.  And yeah, last year’s rain is fairly useless societally, especially from a consumer demand for water stays high.  It’s not like we stockpile a wet year like they do in Cali.

Obviously you know nothing about the weather. In scientific circles it's known as "paying the piper". 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

No we get it, you use your lawn as a sense of self-worth and status symbol.  It’s very important that this non-native vegetation be in pristine shape all the time otherwise you are failing at life somehow. Lush green lawn desires started with George Washington.  It’s the American dream from when his yard and house was painted and shown prominently as the pillar of wealth.

Absolutely nailed it.

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well I just spent the last 30 minutes watering the garden and other certain things . Now I have to go across street and water neighbors stuff who is away. There’s been maybe 5 days all summer that hasn’t required me to water the garden . It all started with your damn Coc k in June . Now with less soil moisture than Death Valley. Days with dews in the mid 70’s delivers full sun and death. Thanks much 

tfsXmpb.jpg

I would say the issue lies with your gadden/gardener, not the lack of precip. 

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Well the first one was 7 days straight and who knows how long this one will be? The long duration to me is the eye opener.

Also I’m wondering about so many days above 95 … not just Logan but all sites combined. 

I don’t recall seeing so many 96.8 to 99.4s 

But it’s been dry. Been having difficulty keeping DPs above 65 on a lot of those days. The nights haven’t been terrible because of that. It’s been as much a story about large diurnal swings. … I mean it’s dewy now but thru July etc. 

So sites are “only” running +5 or 6 thru these first five days of August but likely that goes up by this mid week, barring BD

i just wonder if a 70DP string like in 1988 woulda meant more 93 instead of all these 97s

either way … the longevity has been impressive. Lol in-spite of the GFS model 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Well the first one was 7 days straight and who knows how long this one will be? The long duration to me is the eye opener.

In 2021, Boston recorded four heat waves, the longest of which occurred between June 5-9. We also saw 24 days at 90 degrees or higher last year, including a day in which the city hit 100 degrees,

13 minutes ago, kdxken said:

In 2021, Boston recorded four heat waves, the longest of which occurred between June 5-9. We also saw 24 days at 90 degrees or higher last year, including a day in which the city hit 100 degrees,

I’m not part of your conversation but just be careful using the significance of Logan … particularly comparing years. That site can flip the wind SE and 89 a whole week when it’s 95 on the Cambridge side of the river 

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

With a solid month or more to go.  Last summer was front loaded, this one appears back loaded.   The frequency of 100 degree days is crazy vs a few decades ago.

No argument with decades ago. But last year was smoking hot compared to this year. We'll see , maybe we'll get to last year's totals.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

The switch has flipped hard.  The first half of the warm season was largely the stuff of dreams.  Now we are firmly into the dog days of August in a seasons-in-seasons type of way, fitting all the stereotypes of high heat index.  Dews with temps.  Invested a lot in silent A/C this past spring, after the past few years of torch, so part of me is happy to have a reason to use it.  Game changer.  But still would prefer all sliders open, bears looking in, etc than a locked up place.

We can discuss which is better, low RH continental warmth vs. thick tropical moist heat... but in the end it looks like this summer will feature good long runs of both types of air masses.  As some folks showed today, everyone who loves this weather was able to get outside to enjoy it all day long.  No need for climate controlled spaces, just patios, decks, and gatherings outdoors.  It's great to see folks taking advantage of the weather they love.

• Haha 2