Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

12 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We never get heat waves to end with derechos anymore...depressing. Damn you climate change :gun_bandana:

How did you come by the impression that was a more typical advent ?

I'm not so sure, per my own anecdotal life experience ( lol ) that's really true that heat wave's "tend" to end that way.  In 2012 there was a big one in the MA but ... 1995/1911/1936 and other big heat waves - in fact I believe I've even read this... - actually tend to ease down over a day or two. Not that this, now, peers with those guys. 

That actually makes sense though.  The total synoptic hemisphere that is needed to construct the magnitude and longevity of those occurrences, don't have typically have frontal triggers ... nor do they have the Derecho checklist going on... That's more where the ridge rim falls into lower heights around the polarward arc - if one is IN the big heat and ridge, they are not IN the Derecho/MCS transit where that instability axis is.     

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

How did you come by the impression that was a more typical advent ?

I'm not so sure, per my own anecdotal life experience ( lol ) that's really true that heat wave's "tend" to end that way.  In 2012 there was a big one in the MA but ... 1995/1911/1936 and other big heat waves - in fact I believe I've even read this... - actually tend to ease down over a day or two. Not that this, now, peers with those guys. 

That actually makes sense though.  The total synoptic hemisphere that is need to construct the magnitude and longevity of those occurrences, don't have typically fronts to trigger... nor do they have the Derecho checklist going on... That's more where the ridge rim falls into lower heights on around the polarward arc - if one is IN the big heat and ridge, they are not IN the Derecho/MCS transit.     

I thought for sure we would see a more active convective pattern based on the H5 looks. When you look at just the pattern it was one that appeared favorable for such. But this just goes to prove that having a favorable pattern is only a small piece of the cake. We had favorable mid/upper-level flows, heat/humidity, but we lacked the advection of steeper lapse rates and majority of shortwave forcing happened just too far northwest. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I thought for sure we would see a more active convective pattern based on the H5 looks. When you look at just the pattern it was one that appeared favorable for such. But this just goes to prove that having a favorable pattern is only a small piece of the cake. We had favorable mid/upper-level flows, heat/humidity, but we lacked the advection of steeper lapse rates and majority of shortwave forcing happened just too far northwest. 

well... okay..  lacking lapse rates has been an interesting recurring aspect this season.    That "could" be CC related - I dunno... If the middle troposphere is in some perpetual warm bias with higher non-hydrostats ...

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm about 77% of the way to my record for consecutive days at 72+ with relatively humidity at 64% or greater.

If you take a temp of 83.4 and dewpoint of 61.8, you have to go back to the days of Abigail Adams who had a mercury thermometer on thy thatch roof.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If you take a temp of 83.4 and dewpoint of 61.8, you have to go back to the days of Abigail Adams who had a mercury thermometer on thy thatch roof.

That summer was so hot in 1873 that Abigail had to bathe more than once a week for the first time in her life. Thy stench supported sustained dews above 70F.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That summer was so hot in 1873 that Abigail had to bathe more than once a week for the first time in her life. Thy stench supported sustained dews above 70F.

Wonder if Steve has a relative that knows her. He seems to have people knowing everyone.