• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discussion/Obs

weatherwiz

Actually ... looking closer at the features Friday, it wouldn't shock me if NE Mass BDs... There is modest +PP working through Maine during the morning into/thru the afternoon, and then we have eruptions of outflowing convection in the ALB-Brian band down toward MHT by 18z.  It's likely that together that cuts into the region - if all sets up that way.

5 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll be down the cape Sunday, so hopefully a bit cooler there.

Haven’t been to the Cape since July 4th week but hopefully heading down again next week.  Interestingly alot of of my friends on the Cape have said it’s been a really hot July down there which is sort of rare I think?  We mainly do Falmouth (family there)  but usually get in 4-5 days of camping in Truro.  
Often, during the hottest weather, the Falmouth/Cataumet side of Buzzards Bay stays cool from the SW breeze during heat waves.  Apparently that has not been the case this summer but I can only go by secondhand information since I haven’t spent as much time down there as I like.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Haven’t been to the Cape since July 4th week but hopefully heading down again next week.  Interestingly alot of of my friends on the Cape have said it’s been a really hot July down there which is sort of rare I think?  We mainly do Falmouth (family there)  but usually get in 4-5 days of camping in Truro.  
Often, during the hottest weather, the Falmouth/Cataumet side of Buzzards Bay stays cool from the SW breeze during heat waves.  Apparently that has not been the case this summer but I can only go by secondhand information since I haven’t spent as much time down there as I like.

August is typically very warm and humid there. Best month to go for beach weather.  I’ve noticed sometimes that area of the upper Cape is cooler relatively speaking. Sometimes it’s last to clear from low clouds.....must be a cooler eddy there? It’s also an area where MVY does not have an effect on the wind direction. MVY can disrupt the low clouds moving northeast.

I absolutely love the Cape. Each year we always have a great time with good memories. We typically do the bay side which has very warm water and epic sunsets. Brewster, Orleans, Eastham area. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

August is typically very warm and humid there. Best month to go for beach weather.  I’ve noticed sometimes that area of the upper Cape is cooler relatively speaking. Sometimes it’s last to clear from low clouds.....must be a cooler eddy there? It’s also an area where MVY does not have an effect on the wind direction. MVY can disrupt the low clouds moving northeast.

I absolutely love the Cape. Each year we always have a great time with good memories. We typically do the bay side which has very warm water and epic sunsets. Brewster, Orleans, Eastham area. 

I’ve only been to the cape once as a kid that I remember and occasionally we visited Sandwich right off the bridge a couple times in college where a dorm-mate’s father lived on a coastal marsh.  Kayaking through the narrow shallow waterways at high tide.

I imagine a humid maritime regime regardless of temperatures.  And humidity is good for a beach spot.  Never been to any islands off SNE… would be fun to see ACK.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve only been to the cape once as a kid that I remember and occasionally we visited Sandwich right off the bridge a couple times in college where a dorm-mate’s father lived on a coastal marsh.  Kayaking through the narrow shallow waterways at high tide.

I imagine a humid maritime regime regardless of temperatures.  And humidity is good for a beach spot.  Never been to any islands off SNE… would be fun to see ACK.

I guess humid is relative lol. It’s more in August where fronts come to die. Almost any wind direction brings higher humidity off those SSTs. 
I’ve been to MVY several times. Real cool place. ACK on my list, but maybe one day I’ll afford it haha. 
On the Cape we’ve typically rented a house in the Brewster area on one of the kettle ponds. Get some freshwater kayaking, fishing, and swimming in addition to the beaches. We go with my in-laws who I get along with very well. It’s just a nice time. You have the rail trails too for biking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah, the differences in weather across the Cape are pretty amazing. I love it all from Falmouth to Provincetown and the variability in practical weather and water temperatures make it that much more special.  Wish I got to spend more time out on the islands but just don’t have family or friends out there. Lol

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

GFS at 18z 

… good thing that’s beyond 300 hrs I guess - depending on one’s point if view. 

Overall this run caries a well above normal signal through the ides

Yup and although it offers some chances at “possible” robust precipitation events, it wasn’t exactly a confidence builder for erasing water deficits over the next few weeks.  With regards to rainfall it seemed like the opportunities were there but certainly not guaranteed to manifest for everyone in that pattern.  I’m mainly referring to all of the SNE drought victims. There have certainly been some areas north of here that have done much better with precipitation.

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

GFS at 18z 

… good thing that’s beyond 300 hrs I guess - depending on one’s point if view. 

Overall this run caries a well above normal signal through the ides

That’s hilarious. Atlanta, Georgia colder than the summit of Mansfield?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s hilarious. Atlanta, Georgia colder than the summit of Mansfield?

CAD east of the topographic axis, while west of the axis bakes.  Coastal front also gives another thermal barrier.  But narrow CAD.  Love those modeled nuances.

gfs_T850_neus_65.thumb.png.a9d547305c4d83ac0c0df591de0a46e7.png

Days and days of warm frontal torching.  

gfs_T850_eus_62.thumb.png.c169508627ff918e6fbd3397f74aae0e.png

• Like 2

Barring tropical threats, this upcoming H5 pattern looks like the warmest and driest yet. Really hoping to score a t-storm or two before this locks in.

Looks like our best chance at drought ending rains will be all at once (be careful what you wish for), bc baroclincity will be confined to Canada.

17 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Actually ... looking closer at the features Friday, it wouldn't shock me if NE Mass BDs... There is modest +PP working through Maine during the morning into/thru the afternoon, and then we have eruptions of outflowing convection in the ALB-Brian band down toward MHT by 18z.  It's likely that together that cuts into the region - if all sets up that way.

Talk dirty to me....