• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Severe Weather Threat Week...so many threats!!!

weatherwiz

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s awful news from Sebago. So sad to hear.

Makes me feel so helpless sometimes. We had at least 40 minutes lead time to Sebago, we were messaging it on NWSChat. There's not much more we could've done, but yet still feels like we could've done more.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Makes me feel so helpless sometimes. We had at least 40 minutes lead time to Sebago, we were messaging it on NWSChat. There's not much more we could've done, but yet still feels like we could've done more.

I know we joke a lot about damage and Phil around here, but I think everyone’s heart sinks whenever we hear these stories.

I don’t think there’s much more that could have been done, but I hope you do take solace in knowing that your work provided lead time for many others to stay safe.

It’s the true definition of being a public servant, and though I know you don’t always hear it (as a former fed employee myself) what you do matters immensely. 

• Like 1

We all joke about damage but when it actually happens it's not so funny.  Last thing you would think would happen at summer camp.  So sad. 

Last year camping at Killington an 8" dia branch snapped off and crashed down in front of the car by 2 feet during a storm.  Whole fam was 20' from it. We were worried about the car but it could have easily been us.....you just never know. 

12 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I had a tree hit my work van in a severe t-storm and missed a telephone poll section taking my head off by about 4 feet.  
I scratch my head why anybody yearns for weather that presents those risks. 
#severeptsd

Same with winter storms.  So many avoidable injuries and deaths, damage and etc.  One must be heartless to yearn for such outcomes.

26 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I had a tree hit my work van in a severe t-storm and missed a telephone poll section taking my head off by about 4 feet.  
I scratch my head why anybody yearns for weather that presents those risks. 
#severeptsd

I don’t grab my kids and hurry outside so we can have hail fights or make rain angels. Sure, it’s an interesting weather phenomenon and I get that but there’s zero use for it. Last I checked everyone but a select few run inside and take cover when it’s approaching. 

And I’ve had a few close calls and bad experiences with it such as yourself so no thanks. 

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Sad news out of Maine.  The severe threat seemed very well forecast by NWS and SPC, too.  Just the wrong place at the wrong time, tragic.  High-end heat and humidity, with some baggy heights moving through.

Been a very hot and humid stretch.  It's high summer.  

295079526_10104837572492810_798361326180

Fantastic pic

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Yes, and it is not a wide open big field, we thought our windows would break with the hail hitting sideways

That’s incredible. What did your other station hit?

That cell ripped through moultonboro and really hit the neck hard. Then to Sebago. Supercell for sure. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

That’s incredible. What did your other station hit?

That cell ripped through moultonboro and really hit the neck hard. Then to Sebago. Supercell for sure. 

Scott,  what am I thinking??  I have so much cleanup and Im on a mobile hotspot with no services.  You are right,  the anemometer is at 10m.  The weather station in the field got knocked over but the anemometer didn't.  So the gust was over the roof level.  Sorry about that. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

For sure.  I am not undermining the awfulness of the tragedy... People have to use common sense.  Being in a car, sitting still, under 40ft white pines during a storm, no matter how severe, is not a good idea.  Maybe they couldn't go anywhere else.  

3 hours ago, Torch Tiger said:

Same with winter storms.  So many avoidable injuries and deaths, damage and etc.  One must be heartless to yearn for such outcomes.

Nice hyperbole!  However, unless it's of Feb 1978 or March 1888 magnitude, damage/casualties from winter storms are low compared to hurricanes, tornados and severe TS (and big heat!).  When it's puking snow, drivers slow down.  When it's very light, they maintain speed and bad things become more likely.  

• Confused 1