• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Severe Weather Threat Week...so many threats!!!

weatherwiz

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Is it typical that NWS issues a large scale severe thunderstorm watch like this?

We usually see some watches of that size each summer. Even sometimes see them stretch as far north as Maine, however, I think it's more typical to see separate watches as opposed to one giant watch box. 

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

We usually see some watches of that size each summer. Even sometimes see them stretch as far north as Maine, however, I think it's more typical to see separate watches as opposed to one giant watch box. 

I always thought they were issued by the individual sites like BOX, ENX, etc    

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I always thought they were issued by the individual sites like BOX, ENX, etc    

ahhh...no the Storm Prediction Center is responsible for issuing the watches. The local offices take care of warnings. Local offices though do get input as to what type of watch (severe vs. tornado). 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Everything has some broad rotation but just lacking sufficient instability to strengthen anything. 

Yep. Big time lightning with that much larger complex to the SW, but I'm not sure this'll get it done in maximizing tor potential..

22 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Clouds and the developing area of rain really killing things...then we have that cluster that developed in northwest New Jersey which will be moving into western Connecticut within a few hours. It's a nice looking cluster with tons of lightning) but it's probably at it's maximum intensity. Maybe some localized influences can work to tighten any rotation but the clouds/precip are yielding really crappy low-level lapse rates. Steeper low-level lapse rates would have gone a long way in additional parcel acceleration and yielded better (not necessarily in terms of numbers) low-level CAPE...better in the sense of it could be utilized more efficiently to assist with tightening couplets. 

It's almost impossible in these types of flows to get abundant sunshine across SNE... Cloud cover is usually fairly widespread.  That being said, nature of the atmosphere is still decent for some severe events from northern NJ northeast into southwest CT.  SPC meso analysis is highlighting southeastern NY into southwest CT for an elevated spin-up risk over the next couple of hours. Given low lcl's I would closely monitor any organized cells moving across that area?  Could see a non-warned event or a late warned event.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, FXWX said:

It's almost impossible in these types of flows to get abundant sunshine across SNE... Cloud cover is usually fairly widespread.  That being said, nature of the atmosphere is still decent for some severe events from northern NJ northeast into southwest CT.  SPC meso analysis is highlighting southeastern NY into southwest CT for an elevated spin-up risk over the next couple of hours. Given low lcl's I would closely monitor any organized cells moving across that area?  Could see a non-warned event or a late warned event.

Yeah I don't think it's really possible to get sufficient clearing in these type of setups. The only way really is when there is an advecting EML offering a stout cap and sufficient drying aloft. Agreed...conditions are still favorable for severe. This isn't going to be a widespread severe event and is a setup that typically produces widespread severe. It's all usually about whether one or two cells can maximize everything that atmosphere has to offer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

IIRC, it was a week ago this past Friday when there was a watch extending from southern WVA to north of Moosehead Lake.  We got 0.02" of sprinkles from that one.

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I’m going to lose it if we don’t get an appreciable slug on rain from this 

yeah I'm teetering on violence if we don't get anything soon. But for your sanity don't look at any of the Total Precip maps through Day 9. Most of the models are amazingly steadfast on Stein bending us over for the foreseeable future

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

yeah I'm teetering on violence if we don't get anything soon. But for your sanity don't look at any of the Total Precip maps through Day 9. Most of the models are amazingly steadfast on Stein bending us over for the foreseeable future

I could toss a match on my front lawn and ignite the whole neighborhood