Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2022

George BM

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Great Bear is great! My kid loves the the Super Dooper Looper. First time getting on an upside down coaster (as mild as it is) and she wanted to keep getting on it lol. Haven’t been in a couple years, might try and sneak a day trip in before school starts. 

LOL. The SooperDooperLooper IS pretty tame by today's standards, but brings back a lot of great memories. I was a pre-teen WAY back when that coaster (one of the first loopers on the East Coast or the country, I think?) opened, and the coolest souvenir to have that summer was the "I survived the SooperDooperLooper!" t-shirt...  :D 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

LOL. The SooperDooperLooper IS pretty tame by today's standards, but brings back a lot of great memories. I was a pre-teen WAY back when that coaster (one of the first loopers on the East Coast or the country, I think?) opened, and the coolest souvenir to have that summer was the "I survived the SooperDooperLooper!" t-shirt...  :D 

omg I think I have a vague memory of that t-shirt! :lol: yes, I am #oneoftheolds

I wish it were different, but I can't handle rollercoasters. It's a little weird bc I've really enjoyed motorcycles, even going so far as learning to ride...tho only did sparsely over a year or two so before deciding it was insane. Also not a fan of flying. So it's prob not the speed but that feeling in your stomach - that people who love rollercoasters must love!

• Like 3

Wow....this is sad, Wildcat is a great coaster. To [mention=115]mappy[/mention]'s point....it's definitely gotten to be a rougher ride over the years. Really....Hersheypark is probably my favorite East Coast park for roller coasters. I could ride the Great Bear ALL. DAMN. DAY.
A close second preference for great coaster variety is Busch Gardens Williamsburg....I think the Alpengeist there is my all-time favorite coaster, followed by Apollo's Chariot. Wasn't a great fan of the Griffon, after I let my sons drag me onto it. I just have a thing/preference for suspended coasters.   

I’m headed to Carrowinds later this month to see if it can top either of those two you mentioned. Both are great parks and well themed, which I really enjoy.
  • Like 2

You have to feel sorry for the people in Kentucky. Extraordinary damage. Many loss of life. The company I work for made the trip. And it’s sobering. Perry county is where we are at. We do restoration work with water, wind and fire damage. Unfortunately the majority of houses that are still standing are and will be complete demo. I live in culpeper when last summer 6-9 inches fell…..and I saw what that did. But luckily it’s not a valley community. So you didn’t have the loss of homes and life. My point is more and more of these extreme events keep happening More often. For the folks who live here, they will remember this event till the day they die, 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, jewell2188 said:

You have to feel sorry for the people in Kentucky. Extraordinary damage. Many loss of life. The company I work for made the trip. And it’s sobering. Perry county is where we are at. We do restoration work with water, wind and fire damage. Unfortunately the majority of houses that are still standing are and will be complete demo. I live in culpeper when last summer 6-9 inches fell…..and I saw what that did. But luckily it’s not a valley community. So you didn’t have the loss of homes and life. My point is more and more of these extreme events keep happening More often. For the folks who live here, they will remember this event till the day they die, 

I grew up very close to this area. There was an event just like it in the mid 70’s. I don’t think events like this are becoming more frequent. I think you just hear about them more easily. There was no Weather Channel, CNN, etc just a short while ago. Extreme weather still happened, most just never heard about it.

10 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

she has a keychain with a picture of us, that says the same thing. She was 6 or 7 when she got on it, so tame was good for her. lol

• Like 3

13 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Wow....this is sad, Wildcat is a great coaster. To @mappy's point....it's definitely gotten to be a rougher ride over the years. Really....Hersheypark is probably my favorite East Coast park for roller coasters. I could ride the Great Bear ALL. DAMN. DAY.

A close second preference for great coaster variety is Busch Gardens Williamsburg....I think the Alpengeist there is my all-time favorite coaster, followed by Apollo's Chariot. Wasn't a great fan of the Griffon, after I let my sons drag me onto it. I just have a thing/preference for suspended coasters.  ;) 

Wildcat is or now was fun. Good coaster but rough. Reminded me of the Grizzly at KD.  That one crushed my back the last time I rode it. 

Agree that Hershey has some really fun rides. I’d put Busch first tho. KD has some fun ones and my first coaster which was the back then named Rebel Yell. Lowest on my list would be Six Flags. Just not a fan of that place

• Like 1

On 7/28/2022 at 7:42 PM, Kay said:

omg I think I have a vague memory of that t-shirt! :lol: yes, I am #oneoftheolds

I wish it were different, but I can't handle rollercoasters. It's a little weird bc I've really enjoyed motorcycles, even going so far as learning to ride...tho only did sparsely over a year or two so before deciding it was insane. Also not a fan of flying. So it's prob not the speed but that feeling in your stomach - that people who love rollercoasters must love!

LOL. So, in terms of amusement parks, it seems that roller coasters are the *ONLY* type of ride this old man can handle anymore.  :D I can't spin, do barrel rolls, or otherwise ROTATE in any way on any amusement ride (with the arguable exception of LOOPING coasters, for some reason!) without getting vertigo or some motion sickness. It saddens me....as I used to be able to ride ANYTHING that the amusement parks offered, at least decades ago.  :) 

• Like 3

On 7/28/2022 at 7:42 PM, Kay said:

When I was younger as a kid I loved to go on all the roller-coasters everywhere, even the super fast ones.  Now that I'm an adult, I refuse to ride any lol.  Even at Walt Disney World, I was gripping the bar tightly on Space Mountain and didn't want any part of Rock and Roll Roller-coaster or any ride that had your feet dangling.  I'll do the teacups though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

LOL. So, in terms of amusement parks, it seems that roller coasters are the *ONLY* type of ride this old man can handle anymore.  :D I can't spin, do barrel rolls, or otherwise ROTATE in any way on any amusement ride (with the arguable exception of LOOPING coasters, for some reason!) without getting vertigo or some motion sickness. It saddens me....as I used to be able to ride ANYTHING that the amusement parks offered, at least decades ago.  :) 

Was able to get 2 rides on the Wildcat today.  The first one wasn't bad.  Since there was no line at all, we went back for a second....and that one was ROUGH.   Glad to be able to ride it one last time.  

• Like 1

Never bothered me either, hands up!

Big fan of HP.  Was a season pass holder since 1979 into the early 90s.  Saw all the changes through the years.  COMET was always my fav.  Back seat was the best.  Wildcat was quite lurchy and my first ride back in '99 definitely had me thinking I may be getting too old for these...

The biggest surprise was the Wild Mouse.  Thought it was a kiddie ride.  Boy was I wrong.  Not big drops but those hairpin turns, look over the side, is this gonna come off the track???!  Noooo!

And of course the first time riding the Trailblazer when new, back when the monorail took you over to tour the actual chocolate factory.  I thought the big drop was coming, hands up!  Wait a minute, this just goes around and around.  Why are all the people screaming? :D

IIRC it as 1977 when the "Sooperdooperlooper" came.  I was disappointed, in the loop and out so fast.  But there was a pitch dark tunnel everyone screamed through and that last bend when the air brakes practically give you whiplash.  The same experience when the sky is dark as a bruise to the NW, severe warned, constant rumble like 16" guns going off a county away and then crickets.

Now for coasters, I remember the Loch Ness Monster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  That first drop seemed to last forever.  On summer days hot as a firecracker we'd go to the Shakespeare theatre, that place had great AC and those aluminum benches felt like ice cubes especially if you were wearing shorts...

Finally, anyone remember Dollywood before it was Dollywood?  I'm talking Silver Dollar City in Pigeon Forge.  Back in the mid 70s (Pigeon Forge) was hardly anything in the middle of nowhere.  It's crazy how much that area has built up.

I used to snicker at the warning signs about heart conditions on the high level rides.  It's real.  Even riding space mountain on my last visit to Disney in 2019 had me sweating, not really the intensity as it's just a hair more than HP's Trailblazer but the turns and lurching.  Yep, can't beat the clock.  Log flume rides like the coal cracker, no problem!  :)

EDIT:  Forgot to mention, what legitimate discussion about Hersheypark would not mention the Giant Wheel!  Loved the view while hearing the music from the authentic carousel organ from below.  Peaceful as long as you didn't grab that wheel and spin the gondola like a madman even challenging the g-forces of the teacups.  That would not be fun at 135 feet in the air!  And heights never bothered me.

• Like 2

I think your rollercoaster cred cancels all of that other stuff out :D

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, H2O said:

Bummer.  I am sad and also happy for you.  Sad you lost, happy you get to drink

Didn’t even get to swing a bat, boy walked before me twice so I took the free walk to load bases each at bat. Oh well

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, mappy said:

Lost at game 1. Oh well. Time to drink all day and watch other games 

THat is the best part of playing.  I started playing indoor soccer again about 3 years ago in Westminster.  THe best part is that the folks in the over 40 league have so much fun.  As the games are going on, it's like a big happy hour!  It's a really good group of people who just have fun. 

Hope you are able to enjoy the rest of the day, and rememeber...stay hydrated. 

7 minutes ago, H2O said:

also.  I know most of you won't have this experience for a long while yet but when the pension deposit goes in a couple days early its 

BonySaltyIndochinahogdeer-size_restricte

About 2 years ago I realize that I get a small pension from a former employer I totally forgot about.  I know people who still work there and that benefit is no longer offered, so for once I lucked out. :-)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

About 2 years ago I realize that I get a small pension from a former employer I totally forgot about.  I know people who still work there and that benefit is no longer offered, so for once I lucked out. :-)

The pension is the main reason I stayed where I did for 30 years.  I know its not offered much or at all these days.  I'm VERY thankful

• Like 2

3 hours ago, toolsheds said:

THat is the best part of playing.  I started playing indoor soccer again about 3 years ago in Westminster.  THe best part is that the folks in the over 40 league have so much fun.  As the games are going on, it's like a big happy hour!  It's a really good group of people who just have fun. 

Hope you are able to enjoy the rest of the day, and rememeber...stay hydrated. 

Thanks! We watched a few more games before heading home. End of season party tonight, so need to rest up, shower and rehydrate

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic