Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2022

George BM

10 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

As an Orioles fan and hence an anti-Sox fan, this is an amazing highlight. Inside the park grand slam in Fenway.

Like the announcer said, the CF looked like a real boob in that clip: not only did he not clue the RF/LF into the fact that he totally lost the ball (which happens), but once he knew the ball had landed way behind him, he didn't make a step after it (which should never happen, at this level certainly). 

On 7/23/2022 at 6:37 AM, H2O said:

Gonna suck at divisionals today. The heat will be rough. Hey, @mattie g make sure you get your swimmers to hydrate and stay  in the shade. 

Ended up not being too bad for the kids. The pool we were at has a ton of trees, so they were shaded most of the time. The spectator side, on the other hand, was brutal. Rep area was in the kiddie pool and we had canopies galore.

It was a long day, but a fun one. We finished with a lot of great swims (including one team record) and we’ve got some kids in All Stars…so it was a great way to finish up most kids’ seasons.

How’d you / your team fare?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mattie g said:

Ended up not being too bad for the kids. The pool we were at has a ton of trees, so they were shaded most of the time. The spectator side, on the other hand, was brutal. Rep area was in the kiddie pool and we had canopies galore.

It was a long day, but a fun one. We finished with a lot of great swims (including one team record) and we’ve got some kids in All Stars…so it was a great way to finish up most kids’ seasons.

How’d you / your team fare?

Only one kid of mine swam but dropped time in both her events. Not all star but big enough to show that some side work and lessons with an older swimmer paid off. Worked first half shift which was fine by me. Done before it got hot and could watch other kids we are friends with. 

Overall we have 8 kids going to all stars. Had a couple locked to go and a couple surprises. It will be a big group for us. We usually have 3-5 max. One kid is top seed so that’s good exposure for the pool. 

Congrats to you and your swimmers that made it in!

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 8:03 AM, North Balti Zen said:

Came back around midnight. Nextdoor talking about a pole down on York about 10 miles from me. Guessing an accident. Sorta amusing this keeps happening about three hours after I've gone grocery shopping and re-stocked the fridge for the week...

Murphy tends to do that. ;)

12 hours ago, H2O said:

Only one kid of mine swam but dropped time in both her events. Not all star but big enough to show that some side work and lessons with an older swimmer paid off. Worked first half shift which was fine by me. Done before it got hot and could watch other kids we are friends with. 

Overall we have 8 kids going to all stars. Had a couple locked to go and a couple surprises. It will be a big group for us. We usually have 3-5 max. One kid is top seed so that’s good exposure for the pool. 

Congrats to you and your swimmers that made it in!

Good stuff! You can definitely tell when kids have been working hard, and those side lessons really can help. Glad that you got your gig out of the way early. You could see some of the second shift folks struggling at our meet.

My girl dropped nearly two seconds off her free and back (which she says she hates) - good enough for 7th and 6th, respectively. She absolutely killed her backstroke turn, which is what got her the first place in her heat. For a kid who has nary a competitive bone in her body, she does a damn good job in the pool!

Eight kids and a top seed in All Stars is amazing! We have four kids in (two will be swimming two strokes), none of which are major surprises; however, our 9-10 girl made it in as the 18th kid in IM (she's also in Breast), which was surprising because her swim definitely wasn't her best. I'll probably go to watch some of their swims and to just experience All Stars.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’ve been meaning to ask: was it hard getting a camera on the roof? Any issue from the neighbors? 

Not too bad.  As you can see from the picture, I ended up mounting the camera on my anemometer pole which I’ve had up for almost a decade.  I have two different roof levels, the lower one with the roofline going to the chimney is over a carport.  It is pretty easy to get up there and get to the peak roofline.  I have it as a gable-end mount via this type of pole (https://ambientweather.com/amwewe.html).

I have an 8-camera Reolink surveillance system.  Power-over-Ethernet so I did spend a good amount of time in the attic and crimping my own ends on the cables.  The run to the “skycam” was actually a lot easier because I could go out the attic vent.

The impact on the neighbors is negligible because the elevation distance going that direction means that the closer neighbors aren’t in the line of sight.  They know I have other cameras too, but I’m friends with all of them so that makes it more comfortable.  And none of them are pointed directly at another house.

6B1DDFA4-3193-4EA2-9FF9-4AE3F0FC5105.thumb.jpeg.b6ac526a9f171d6713c4055d86daaee0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

Rain tomorrow, but still going to HersheyPark.   They are closing the Wildcat and tomorrow is the last day to ride it.   Hopefully the rain stays away long enough for me to get one last ride in. 

wildcat was my first rollercoaster ever

34 minutes ago, mappy said:

wildcat was my first rollercoaster ever

Mine too many years ago.  it is really too rough now that it is older and these old bones feel beat up after riding it a few times. 

I also had the date wrong.  The last date to ride is is 7/31, not tomorrow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

Mine too many years ago.  it is really too rough now that it is older and these old bones feel beat up after riding it a few times. 

We last went in 2019 and I rode it. Was terrible. So rough lol 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, toolsheds said:

Wow....this is sad, Wildcat is a great coaster. To @mappy's point....it's definitely gotten to be a rougher ride over the years. Really....Hersheypark is probably my favorite East Coast park for roller coasters. I could ride the Great Bear ALL. DAMN. DAY.

A close second preference for great coaster variety is Busch Gardens Williamsburg....I think the Alpengeist there is my all-time favorite coaster, followed by Apollo's Chariot. Wasn't a great fan of the Griffon, after I let my sons drag me onto it. I just have a thing/preference for suspended coasters.  ;) 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Wow....this is sad, Wildcat is a great coaster. To @mappy's point....it's definitely gotten to be a rougher ride over the years. Really....Hersheypark is probably my favorite East Coast park for roller coasters. I could ride the Great Bear ALL. DAMN. DAY.

A close second preference for great coaster variety is Busch Gardens Williamsburg....I think the Alpengeist there is my all-time favorite coaster, followed by Apollo's Chariot. Wasn't a great fan of the Griffon, after I let my sons drag me onto it. I just have a thing/preference for suspended coasters.  ;) 

Hershey added a new coaster when you enter the park last year.  My daughter wants to get me on that tomorrow.   Luckily with her season pass, we get in an hour before everyone else.  :-)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Great Bear is great! My kid loves the the Super Dooper Looper. First time getting on an upside down coaster (as mild as it is) and she wanted to keep getting on it lol. Haven’t been in a couple years, might try and sneak a day trip in before school starts. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic