Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2022

George BM

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I’m a homeowner! Any general advice from all the old pros?

There is a video on Youtube to fix just about anything.  Go there first when you have issues and the fix might be easier than you think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

this may get me kicked off the forum :lol: but...there is only so much worrying it is worth it to do about your lawn (if you have one). If you feel like striving toward an amazing/perfect lawn, do it and enjoy the results! But if it stresses you out, and it can, year after year, just take care of it within reason...life is finite. You don't want to be a bad neighbor about it, but you also don't need to win a prize. It's just grass. It's been nice posting with you all (runs away)!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, toolsheds said:

There is a video on Youtube to fix just about anything.  Go there first when you have issues and the fix might be easier than you think. 

Also....feel free to ask folks here when issues come up.

There are a lot of experienced and smart folks who I've seen suggest great advice when asked. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Congrats!

Everyone's situation is different, of course, but here are some of my general takes:

• Tackle projects one at a time, whether you DIY or have a contractor do them
  • Agree on Kay's lawn suggestion - just keep it decent and your neighbors should be fine
  • If you have trees around, regularly check your gutters for clogs / get gutter guards
  • Make upgrades based on your likes, not on a desire for recouping or making profit on the cost of the upgrade
  • Don't get a pool (personal take!)

I'm sure there are plenty more, but these are the ones that popped into my head for now...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, H2O said:

Yup.  First half chief timer for our divisional.  got asked last night.  Only got one kid in it and she will be done after fly which is the second event this year.  Wooo.  Staying for the whole meet will be gross if no shade.  And we have our awards banquet in the evening.  Pain.  But then its done which is always a relief but bittersweet.

Gotcha. Figured you'd get tagged for it, and good stuff on being able to see your daughter swim and then be done with the first session!

I'll be there from minute 1 to the end, of course. The pool we're at has a lot of shade, so hopefully we'll get some relief. My girl is swimming free and back, so I'm really happy that she doesn't have to sit around or leave and come back.

We also have our end-of-season party that night. It's a good time, but it's going to be steamy. Agreed on the end of the season being bittersweet. I'm not going to know what to do with myself for a few weeks, and I know it's going to have me in a bit of a funk. I'm already thinking of off-season stuff to do...

• Like 1

Don't have a pool*

Don't have more than 2 dogs (though multiple cats are okay, not like 10, but 2-3 seems reasonable)*

If the previous owners were 'fixer-uppers' double check EVERYTHING they did, because in our case a lot of the stuff they "fixed" was done poorly and we've had to redo

If you are on a well, have it tested for sodium chlorides. that's the analyte from road salt and it will ruin your plumbing and fixtures in the house, it is not a normal analyte they check when doing water tests, has to be requested

*pool is a money and time suck, more than 2 dogs is too many unless you enjoy constantly having a dog under your feet, hair everywhere and now that we have a senior dog, accidents all the time. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Get ALL water away from your house. Slope soil for at least 6-8 feet, have gutters empty into an underground drainage system or drain each one at least 15 feet away. 

Any large trees more than 40 feet or so from your house I would remove. The ones very close aren’t as much of a problem IMO. Sure they can do damage, but it won’t be catastrophic. The big ones, tall, that are 40-50 away are the ones that can produce catastrophic damage if they come down.

Whatever you think is an adequate amount of insulation in your attic, double it.

Wrap your water heater in an insulation blanket. 

Install a programmable thermostat. 

The last three will save you literally thousands of dollars over time.

Congrats on your purchase!!! Hope it is wonderful.

PS - reading MG’s comments about a pool reminded me of something a neighbor told me once. He said the happiest day of his life was the day he got a pool. He said the second happiest day of his life was the day he had the pooled filled in :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ranking the best things after power comes back on from an extended days-long outage

1. Running water returns (well people know)

2. AC returns

3. When trash day finally arrives and all the spoiled food from the outage finally goes to its final resting place and stops making the air evil foul for 100+ feet around the trash bins

That last one is seriously under-rated. Holy hell, welcome, refuse workers. Your sacrifice is appreciated tomorrow. 

• Like 3

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic