Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2022

George BM

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Every day the estimate changes to 11 pm whatever day it is. So…counter re-set to 11 pm today I guess.

Same boat.  But this morning there is a BGE pickup truck "sitting on the line" (his words not mine).  Says no ETA but he sent up a drone and is uploading the footage to the logistics coordinator.  I told him good luck I can barely get a text out of my phone, and only if it does not have an attachment.  He laughed.  I did not.   He says he needs to sit there now to babysit it per BGE policy.  So someone at BGE must know this guy is sitting there and that he needs help.

It's ironic because as he and I were talking a cable tv guy in a bucket truck no less, there to inspect and report, was walking right over the downed lines and pole and he warned him that the lines could energize at any second due to generator back feed or a tree falling down the line that can drop another line onto the dead circuit.  The response was "oh - I got you man.  Thanks".  SMH.  I think most lay people know this.  That guy should have known better.   

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, H2O said:

Hamlet is a nice pool but just ill suited to an event like this.  Not sure there is a pool that is the best to be fair.  But part of the problem is the D1 pools.  They act like they own the place no matter where it is.  They get charter buses to take the swimmers and family and a whole f-ton of others.  then they hog all the bleachers.  I get they usually have the most kids and relays and all that but that shouldn't mean you get to deprive all the other pools a chance to see their kids swim.  Its just douchey.  So you have a ton of other people that have to only sit for single event viewing and it makes for congestion and a lot of rude ass people.  

Our kids swam great tho and even managed a 2nd for one relay.  It feels so good to beat those D1 teams.  I'm proud of the kids and I love cheering for them and getting looks from these upper D teams who go "who is that team?"  I saw that you guys were able to get a relay there.  For little kids it can be intimidating and scary as hell.  When my girls went it was around that age and they were nervous wrecks.  So were us parents.  Even if they didn't do great just celebrate that they went cause its something they can NEVER take away from them.  My oldest daughter won't go to all stars anymore but I tell her that she went, swam well and NO ONE can take that from her.  She earned it.  Your team EARNED it.  Remember there are 102ish teams.  17,000 kids swim.  Your 4 got to go.  Only 17 other teams did for that event.  Thats impressive.

A big problem with hosting the All-Star Relays is that its a thankless task for the host pool.  You need to accommodate (and manage) ~1,000 swimmers from dozens of teams, not to mention all of the spectators.  From what I have heard, there are very few pools that are willing to do it.  In addition to the logistics, many of your members are likey pissed that the pool is closed for the day.  Plus, many of the pools that have the space, etc. to host are not in the top divisions and likely aren't sending many teams to All-Stars (and thus have even less of a reason to volunteer to host).  And, then, as you note, there is the further complication that hosting brings a whole bunch of annoying top-division folks to your pool.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, AdamHLG said:

It's ironic because as he and I were talking a cable tv guy in a bucket truck no less, there to inspect and report, was walking right over the downed lines and pole and he warned him that the lines could energize at any second due to generator back feed or a tree falling down the line that can drop another line onto the dead circuit.  The response was "oh - I got you man.  Thanks".  SMH.  I think most lay people know this.  That guy should have known better.   

You would be surprised at the number of folks that "should know better"  that don't.  They ASSume if there is no smoke, buzzing, sparking, etc. that everything is safe.  Same kind of folks you never trust handing an "unloaded" firearm to you as well.  If something can kill, it will without any warning at any time.  Always presume the worst can happen and you live to do the next job, generally speaking. ;)

These last few days would not be fun at all if the temp was in the upper 90s with 80 DP, say like we had this time in July 1995.  Anyone remember that heatwave?

• Like 1

On 7/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

Sorry for all those still wo power. I had a long morning down in the DC area helping out my dad, who is also still without power, but the afternoon has gotten markedly better. Now hanging out at Big Truck in Mappy land.

image.jpeg.c1b3a2bb9eaf3f0ca78f865de67a45c7.jpeg

Love that place! Depending on how you got there you could have seen my house. It has a big dumpster in the front yard as we’ve been having pool work done, can’t miss it lol

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Around 88 hours now, still no power. Has to be today it comes back, right? RIGHT?

Ugh so sorry friend. Hopefully today. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

It was 15,000 areawide this AM but my cluster looked like 157 customers affected -  but it is no longer me! 

just before 10 am power came back. I feel more like normal again…

Yay!

• Thanks 1

So excited about this pool work we’re having done. Pre work, what was done before I left for San Diego and what I came came home to. Rest of concrete should be poured this week, finishing planting trees and other landscape stuff, additional walkways and another patio space near our walkout basement door. 

1F2861CA-415E-4641-A243-A6761CD30A6D.jpeg

6A0D56A2-A9F4-425D-9272-D52FFF2CB192.jpeg

BBC2888D-14ED-4739-AAC6-01AC7C9DE9B1.jpeg

• Like 12

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic