Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2022

George BM

4 hours ago, Interstate said:

Yep Poplars are a soft wood tree. Most my of tree damage are poplars. I did lose a locust too. 

You may want to check with a local wood supply place.  They may be interested in the Locust tree.  Locust is one of the hardest woods we have here in the US.  It's the only wood that is approved for direct burial as-is w/o any preservative.  It splits great - is what they use for split rail fences and burns great too if you have a fireplace.  

We have a group of Locust trees in our front yard.  Lost 2 about 10 years ago.  Their 2 foot diameter trunks were snapped off about 10 feet above the ground during a "rotational event" that came through Oakton and Vienna.  The weird thing was, I watched it happen live while standing in our front doorway about 300 feet away.  It was nearly dead calm in front of our house as the wind snapped off the Locust trunks and displaced the upper part of the trees about 50 feet away.  Was a surreal experience.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, H2O said:

Man I hope NVSL finds a different pool for relays next year

It was bad?

Our 8&U girls were quite overwhelmed and...I honestly think they didn't swim terribly well because of it. We never get invited to these parties (well...we usually have a few at individual All-Stars each year), so we had no idea what to expect. 

My co-rep was there with two coaches and our girls, and I wouldn't have been any help to them anyways. :lol:

59 minutes ago, mattie g said:

It was bad?

Our 8&U girls were quite overwhelmed and...I honestly think they didn't swim terribly well because of it. We never get invited to these parties (well...we usually have a few at individual All-Stars each year), so we had no idea what to expect. 

My co-rep was there with two coaches and our girls, and I wouldn't have been any help to them anyways. :lol:

Hamlet is a nice pool but just ill suited to an event like this.  Not sure there is a pool that is the best to be fair.  But part of the problem is the D1 pools.  They act like they own the place no matter where it is.  They get charter buses to take the swimmers and family and a whole f-ton of others.  then they hog all the bleachers.  I get they usually have the most kids and relays and all that but that shouldn't mean you get to deprive all the other pools a chance to see their kids swim.  Its just douchey.  So you have a ton of other people that have to only sit for single event viewing and it makes for congestion and a lot of rude ass people.  

Our kids swam great tho and even managed a 2nd for one relay.  It feels so good to beat those D1 teams.  I'm proud of the kids and I love cheering for them and getting looks from these upper D teams who go "who is that team?"  I saw that you guys were able to get a relay there.  For little kids it can be intimidating and scary as hell.  When my girls went it was around that age and they were nervous wrecks.  So were us parents.  Even if they didn't do great just celebrate that they went cause its something they can NEVER take away from them.  My oldest daughter won't go to all stars anymore but I tell her that she went, swam well and NO ONE can take that from her.  She earned it.  Your team EARNED it.  Remember there are 102ish teams.  17,000 kids swim.  Your 4 got to go.  Only 17 other teams did for that event.  Thats impressive.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2022 at 2:58 PM, batmanbrad said:

Yes, Andy "Woody!" Woodcock, he was a trip.  I occasionally go to other WFO's to check out their AFD's - some can get very wordy/technical, I especially remember the Taunton (now Boston/Norton) office when there would be a coastal storm in winter or a tropical system in summer, the discussion was a bit like "War and Peace"!

back to last weekend's AFDs chat...I never knew WOODY!'s real name, mystery solved :lol: I still remember when he retired and wrote his last AFD he mentioned something like 'I'm sure records must be kept for this' and I can't remember what 'this' was anymore but I respected that it was his last week and he couldn't be bothered to look it up :lol:

the sort of trivia I count on this board for and anyone else would think I'm insane

26 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Sorry for all those still wo power. I had a long morning down in the DC area helping out my dad, who is also still without power, but the afternoon has gotten markedly better. Now you at Big Truck in Mappy land.

image.jpeg.c1b3a2bb9eaf3f0ca78f865de67a45c7.jpeg

is Big Truck opening a place by the outlets in Queenstown? 

4 hours ago, H2O said:

Hamlet is a nice pool but just ill suited to an event like this.  Not sure there is a pool that is the best to be fair.  But part of the problem is the D1 pools.  They act like they own the place no matter where it is.  They get charter buses to take the swimmers and family and a whole f-ton of others.  then they hog all the bleachers.  I get they usually have the most kids and relays and all that but that shouldn't mean you get to deprive all the other pools a chance to see their kids swim.  Its just douchey.  So you have a ton of other people that have to only sit for single event viewing and it makes for congestion and a lot of rude ass people.  

Our kids swam great tho and even managed a 2nd for one relay.  It feels so good to beat those D1 teams.  I'm proud of the kids and I love cheering for them and getting looks from these upper D teams who go "who is that team?"  I saw that you guys were able to get a relay there.  For little kids it can be intimidating and scary as hell.  When my girls went it was around that age and they were nervous wrecks.  So were us parents.  Even if they didn't do great just celebrate that they went cause its something they can NEVER take away from them.  My oldest daughter won't go to all stars anymore but I tell her that she went, swam well and NO ONE can take that from her.  She earned it.  Your team EARNED it.  Remember there are 102ish teams.  17,000 kids swim.  Your 4 got to go.  Only 17 other teams did for that event.  Thats impressive.

Thanks for the really encouraging words. That all really puts things into perspective, especially the part about your girls and not being able to ever take away the fact that they went to all stars.

While it would have been nice to see the girls swim, my co-Rep and one coach are the moms of two of the four girls, somit only made sense for me to defer!

I saw the results and noticed you guys did well. It must feel awesome to come out nowhere and surprise some of those teams, especially if they’re as douchey as it sounds!

1 hour ago, AdamHLG said:

No power.  Given up on saving the food.  Given up on the BGE Outage Tracker also.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/for/d/ellicott-city-champion-generator-new/7508793940.html

Never wanted to have a genset around, but got a good deal on one years ago and it has saved lots of food. (Especially if you include the neighbors who have sent a cable over for their freezer too)

14 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yes. It’s open for carry out now but won’t be a taproom and brewery until next year. I just asked! :lol:

Thanks for Asking!  That is really cool....and I bet the number of speed traps south of that spot on the way to the beach will increase too :-). 

RAR is also expanding.  They are opening a new location in Annapolis in the fall. :-)

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic