Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Banter 2022

George BM

1 hour ago, hstorm said:

Hope the Real Pool Dads stayed dry at their meets. We lucked out at ours. Got nearly all of it in during a lull. Much better than expected. 

Yup - barely any rain during the meet, then it started coming down just as we finished. It was about the most weather-comfortable meet we’ve ever had!

First loss of the season. We had a really rough start of the meet, but it we at least finished strong. Some of our kids really struggled today, and we were dealing with some serious teen drama that probably cost us 15 points :rolleyes:. No matter…we had some young kids step up and do their part (including swimming way up in the relays)!

All in all, it might be better if we end up coming in second and don’t move up too much!

It will be interesting to see what happens as the trade deadline approaches. This team plays hard and is fun to watch, but they aren't likely a serious contender this year. In order to get them towards that goal in the next couple years, trading some key veterans might be the best course of action. Problem is you potentially break up team that has really gotten fans excited again. Tough one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

It will be interesting to see what happens as the trade deadline approaches. This team plays hard and is fun to watch, but they aren't likely a serious contender this year. In order to get them towards that goal in the next couple years, trading some key veterans might be the best course of action. Problem is you potentially break up team that has really gotten fans excited again. Tough one.

Agreed. Approaching the time period that separates good and bad GMs. More is needed...but what's the cost to do that? 

Excited to have this type of conversation.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Agreed. Approaching the time period that separates good and bad GMs. More is needed...but what's the cost to do that? 

Excited to have this type of conversation.

Mancini is the only older player I would think may be untouchable. Ofc he would be desirable to a contender and probably bring the most value in return of any of the O's vets. He is the inspirational leader and has stated a desire to stay, but is a FA after this season.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

They are legitimate contenders for a playoff spot if they keep playing this way.

On 7/9/2022 at 7:35 PM, CAPE said:

They are one good starting pitcher away I believe.  The line up has been home grown and what they have been building towards. The bats are there, it is the pitching that is playing well above their potential. It will be interesting when they start playing the AL East powerhouse again to see if they are legit. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Interstate said:

They are one good starting pitcher away I believe.  The line up has been home grown and what they have been building towards. The bats are there, it is the pitching that is playing well above their potential. It will be interesting when they start playing the AL East powerhouse again to see if they are legit. 

Right now they are in the conversation for a wildcard spot. Lets see what happens over the next couple weeks, once the hot streak ends. If they can get to/over 500 and maintain it, then it will be interesting to see what they decide do as the trade deadline approaches.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Right now they are in the conversation for a wildcard spot. Lets see what happens over the next couple weeks, once the hot streak ends. If they can get to/over 500 and maintain it, then it will be interesting to see what they decide do as the trade deadline approaches.

My guess is Elias still sells at the trade deadline. He's fully invested in his long term plan. Probably still 2 years away from really contending. 

Man this team is exciting though.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Agreed. Until they get back into playing the AL East this is all just for fun. The really test is playing the AL East. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris78 said:

My guess is Elias still sells at the trade deadline. He's fully invested in his long term plan. Probably still 2 years away from really contending. 

I think they still sell also and it’s going to piss off many fans. But I’m enjoying this, they’re playing with house money.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chris78 said:

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

I think they still sell also and it’s going to piss off many fans. But I’m enjoying this, they’re playing with house money.

I Agree. I'm loving it too but I think Elias has to stick to the plan for the big picture. We getting excellent starting pitching but there's no way to know if these guys can stay consistent and sustain this level. In reality there's probably only 2 guys that may be in the starting rotation next year. If selling means we continue to add quality and depth then thats the right thing to do. Defense has been excellent and we're getting clutch hitting. It shouldn't be difficult to lure good starting pitching here now with that fence in left field if the organization really opens up the pocket book assuming the market has some good arms available. Bottom line is there is an awful lot to look forward too!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, HighStakes said:

I Agree. I'm loving it too but I think Elias has to stick to the plan for the big picture. We getting excellent starting pitching but there's no way to know if these guys can stay consistent and sustain this level. In reality there's probably only 2 guys that may be in the starting rotation next year. If selling means we continue to add quality and depth then thats the right thing to do. Defense has been excellent and we're getting clutch hitting. It shouldn't be difficult to lure good starting pitching here now with that fence in left field if the organization really opens up the pocket book assuming the market has some good arms available. Bottom line is there is an awful lot to look forward too!

At this point... what are we trying to get?  We need a veteran starting pitcher for the young guys.  The batting order is set with a few minor tweaks needed.  Losing Grayson Rodriguez for the season really hurts... he was a start or two from joining the majors.  For as many pitching prospects  we have gotten from trades... some of them need to pan out.  Anything we trade for, will be a couple of years away from the majors.  The bats are there, we just need one good veteran pitcher to help out.  I think they have turned the corner and now need to start buying pitching.

32 minutes ago, Interstate said:

At this point... what are we trying to get?  We need a veteran starting pitcher for the young guys.  The batting order is set with a few minor tweaks needed.  Losing Grayson Rodriguez for the season really hurts... he was a start or two from joining the majors.  For as many pitching prospects  we have gotten from trades... some of them need to pan out.  Anything we trade for, will be a couple of years away from the majors.  The bats are there, we just need one good veteran pitcher to help out.  I think they have turned the corner and now need to start buying pitching.

I dont think orioles management would say we have nearly enough at this point. You can never have enough depth with pitching. There's no guarantee on anyone living up to potential. The rest of these guys were waiting on coming up are still just prospects. Let's not forget how some can't miss Pitchers didn't pan out for us in the past. 

Also let's not get fooled into thinking our line up is better than it really is. We only have 2 everyday players hitting .280. Everyone else is .265 or lower and we strikeout a ton. Hayes has cooled off considerably and up until 2-3 weeks ago Mullins was struggling. My point is some of these guys that fans have penciled in for the future probably won't be on the team. My position is to continue stockpiling talent. I have full confidence in Elias. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

I dont think orioles management would say we have nearly enough at this point. You can never have enough depth with pitching. There's no guarantee on anyone living up to potential. The rest of these guys were waiting on coming up are still just prospects. Let's not forget how some can't miss Pitchers didn't pan out for us in the past. 

Also let's not get fooled into thinking our line up is better than it really is. We only have 2 everyday players hitting .280. Everyone else is .265 or lower and we strikeout a ton. Hayes has cooled off considerably and up until 2-3 weeks ago Mullins was struggling. My point is some of these guys that fans have penciled in for the future probably won't be on the team. My position is to continue stockpiling talent. I have full confidence in Elias. 

I agree.

The offense is still in the bottom 3rd of the American League.

Their outfield is ready to compete but the only 2 spots in the infield that are league average or better is at Catcher and 1st base. Gunner Henderson will be up next year. Still need to fiquire out second and 3rd.  I love what Mateo brings on defense and on the base path but can he hit above .190?

Odor is a stop gap. And 3rd is a big question mark.

This  team is much better than the last 3 versions but still a long way to go to compete in the AL east..

If they end up with 75 wins this season that's a huge win in my book.

If you follow the Astos blueprint were still another year or so away from competing. 

I'd say the future seems bright. 

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Yes I agree with the lineup that it is young and will have growing pains.  But this is the lineup that the rebuild was building.  But right now when someone is struggling... then someone else is picking up the slack.  This is the lineup I hope we will see for the future... we just need some more depth at the 7-9 hitters.  But you cannot not studs in the entire lineup... at least in the market we are in.

My buddy put a bet in at the Horseshoe that the Orioles would win 56 games or more... The payout is 90%... I bet he wishes he would have taken out a second mortgage.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Interstate said:

Yes I agree with the lineup that it is young and will have growing pains.  But this is the lineup that the rebuild was building.  But right now when someone is struggling... then someone else is picking up the slack.  This is the lineup I hope we will see for the future... we just need some more depth at the 7-9 hitters.  But you cannot not studs in the entire lineup... at least in the market we are in.

My buddy put a bet in at the Horseshoe that the Orioles would win 56 games or more... The payout is 90%... I bet he wishes he would have taken out a second mortgage.

One of my friends has a bet they win more than 63.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rhino16 said:

I got older today.

Happy Birthday!... Unless you just got bored and decided to post that you got older today as you do everyday. Which is true. :D

Well you've had at least two prior birthdays since joining so... Happy Birthday either way! Since I've probably missed some in the past few years.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, George BM said:

Happy Birthday!... Unless you just got bored and decided to post that you got older today as you do everyday. Which is true. :D

Well you've had at least two prior birthdays since joining so... Happy Birthday either way! Since I've probably missed some in the past few years.

Haha, thank you!

• Like 1

I swear the weather here has let me down over and over...it's infuriating. Stuff just ain't been workin out the last few years...and each miss--be it severe or winter--is a gut punch. Life ain't fair and that includes weather. But just once in awhile I'd like some momentary excitement and not have to constantly watch everybody else cash in (minus the damage, of course)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic