• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2022

George BM

Well, just got back from vacation up in Northeast, MD. Retreat is right on the water...so the scorch we've had the past couple of days didn't feel as bad! (Although midday yesterday was predictably brutal even for there). And now here we are...in the also predictable 3rd weekend of July heat wave, lol

Question: Is there a meteorological reason why this particular weekend is always the hottest? Or is it just kinda fluky how it keeps happening on what used to be Artscape weekend? Lol

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Well, just got back from vacation up in Northeast, MD. Retreat is right on the water...so the scorch we've had the past couple of days didn't feel as bad! (Although midday yesterday was predictably brutal even for there). And now here we are...in the also predictable 3rd weekend of July heat wave, lol

Question: Is there a meteorological reason why this particular weekend is always the hottest? Or is it just kinda fluky how it keeps happening on what used to be Artscape weekend? Lol

We are in the climatologically hottest part of the year. BWIs peak average temp is 89 and runs from July 2-26. You are statistically the most likely to have big heat in that period. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

We are in the climatologically hottest part of the year. BWIs peak average temp is 89 and runs from July 2-26. You are statistically the most likely to have big heat in that period. 

Additionally, the record high stats at BWI are such that only 3 days have record maxes below 100. And honestly...even though these are the "new" normals from the new period...we are getting hotter (everyone agrees except for a few). Would anticipate that by the time the next refresh of the "30 year average" data BWI will look more like DCA and DCA will look more like an oven. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

What Kmlwx said. Clearly Artscape weekend was chosen by a non weather weenie :lol: I hadn't been in a long time even before covid but it was so classic for being miserable. Didn't realize till now it will be in Sept when it returns.

eta high 93, 88 now, nearby pws

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dailylurker said:

Must be high elevation. The temps at the airport seems to be near 60 with rain most of the forecast period. 

Yes, Mt Marcus Baker. Though, lower elevation spots around 4-5k ft southeast of anchorage just got some snow as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kay said:

What Kmlwx said. Clearly Artscape weekend was chosen by a non weather weenie :lol: I hadn't been in a long time even before covid but it was so classic for being miserable. Didn't realize till now it will be in Sept when it returns.

eta high 93, 88 now, nearby pws

You can always bank on Artscape being the hottest weekend of the summer. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Would love to see my 7 day forecast say sunny 7 times instead of a chance of showers and storms every single day.

Rather have a pattern where fronts actually push through with storm chances than a big upper ridge sitting over the east. More interesting, and there will still be plenty of sun.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Still a fight between the globals and mesos.  The mesos think that there will be too much cloudiness around to approach 100.  I’m siding with them.

I have never observed 100 here that I can recall. Occasionally gets to 98. I am expecting 94-95 for today and tomorrow. Obv best chance of approaching 100 is in the urban corridor.

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

I have never observed 100 here that I can recall. Occasionally gets to 98. I am expecting 94-95 for today and tomorrow. Obv best chance of approaching 100 is in the urban corridor.

Experienced 100F or more a few times since moving here in 1985.  IAD reached 105 on 22 July 2011.  Think that was the hottest I've experienced here - live just a few miles from IAD.

Lived in India for 3 years in the early 90's.  That heat was brutal.  Hottest we had there was 122F.  Had weeks of 110-118 every year - with humidity that drove the heat index off the chart.  Ambient water temperature in roof top storage takes was too hot to take a shower.  Had to pump water from back-yard cistern into the roof tanks in order to lower the temp enough to not be tolerable.  So ironic in a land with water shortages that we had to waste water to be able to take a shower.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CAPE said:

Rather have a pattern where fronts actually push through with storm chances than a big upper ridge sitting over the east. More interesting, and there will still be plenty of sun.

When you’re clearing land to build a house you want no rain. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic