Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July Discobs 2022

George BM

26 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

My rain guage shows 0.76", but that’s way low. First storm only registered 0.04" due to the wind driving the heavy rain straight sideways and not filling the tipping guage. Any suggestions on how to measure storms where the rain simply doesn’t go into the guage’s cone? 2nd storm dumped 0.64" and seemed to rain less than the first storm (but also less windy).

Probably not much that can be done about it other than place it where the wind is blocked. I am in the woods so I have tree branches that hang over the gauge no matter where I put it. Tends to catch lower than actual, but not by much.

I use this link to compare. 

https://www.iweathernet.com/total-rainfall-map-24-hours-to-72-hours

You can zoom right in over your yard and click to get the rainfall. It tends to be a bit higher than my gauge especially when trees are leafed out, which makes sense. Always pretty close though- usually within 0.15".

57 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

My rain guage shows 0.76", but that’s way low. First storm only registered 0.04" due to the wind driving the heavy rain straight sideways and not filling the tipping guage. Any suggestions on how to measure storms where the rain simply doesn’t go into the guage’s cone? 2nd storm dumped 0.64" and seemed to rain less than the first storm (but also less windy).

Gauge undercatch due to heavy rain isn’t generally going to be that significant.  Seems like something else may have been going on.

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Probably not much that can be done about it other than place it where the wind is blocked. I am in the woods so I have tree branches that hang over the gauge no matter where I put it. Tends to catch lower than actual, but not by much.

You can zoom right in over your yard and click to get the rainfall. It tends to be a bit higher than my gauge especially when trees are leafed out, which makes sense. Always pretty close though- usually within 0.15".

1.7 for me and over 4 just 5 mikes to north 

10 hours ago, CAPE said:

I have similar issues with my tipping bucket Davis gauge, but am fortunate to have a little clear spot for my traditional gauge.

My way of making a late report for last night...

The Davis read 1.74 and the normal gauge 2.33. I tried that link Cape provided, and it said 2.30. Not bad at all!

When the leaves are off the trees for winter rains, the gauges agree much closer, sometimes exactly.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic