Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022

bluewave

Morning thoughts…

It will be mostly sunny and hot. High temperatures will reach the lower and middle 90s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 92°

Newark: 97°

Philadelphia: 94°

Hot weather will continue through at least the weekend.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 85.3°; 15-Year: 86.4°

Newark: 30-Year: 87.2°; 15-Year: 88.6°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 88.1°; 15-Year: 89.1°

• Like 1

The next 8 days are averaging  87degs.(77/98) or +9.       Even the EURO has the 100's this time.

Month to date is  78.1[+0.8].              Should be  80.9[+3.4] by the 27th.

Reached 82 here yesterday and just a bit of rain at 7pm.      Mostly a miss Sat.-Mon. with the rain/TS.

Today:   89-93, wind w.---breezy in PM, m. sunny, 77 tomorrow AM.

Just an aside......the Hurricane Season looks dead through October on the CFSv2.        Other outputs do not look BN in Pressure or AN in Precipitation anywhere from the GOM to New England, either.  >>>>>>>>       COMMENTS?

74*(88%RH) here at 7am.     76* at 8am.       78* at 9am.       80* at 10:30am.       83* at Noon.       85*(51%RH) at 2pm.---feels like 87*       91*(40%RH) at 4pm---feels like 92*        94*(39%RH) at 5pm.       96*(34%RH) at 6pm.

Newark is currently at the 3rd driest July 1 to July 19 on record.This is the first time Newark was so dry at 0.38 while NYC had 3.29. All the previous under .50 periods since 1931 at Newark were also dry in NYC. So another 1st for our more extreme post 2010 climate.

Time Series Summary for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Rank
Ending Date
Total Precipitation Jul 1 to Jul 19
NYC Jul 1 to 19
1 1939-07-19 0.20 0.14
2 1932-07-19 0.25 0.43
3 2022-07-19 0.38 3.29
4 1982-07-19 0.39 0.19
5 1980-07-19 0.40 1.20
6 1966-07-19 0.45 0.61

• Thanks 1

79/67 with 0.43 in the bucket.  Hot town summer in the suburbs and probably (NYC).  Overall hot pattern builds today, peaking twice in the next week firs  (Wed 7/20 and Thu 7/20) with 850 temps >18c - 21C mid/upper 90s perhaps a stray 100 reading on the hotter spots challenging heat from 2011,2012, 2013 periods.  Next spike of strong heat is Mon 7/24, Tue 7/25. Beyond there Wed (7/26) the westrrn Atlantic ridge is pushing west and setting up an overall warm to hot pattern to close out the month.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Any plans to fix ewr temp issue? Been running to warm for a while 

I think they had or still have a sun issue. I doubt it will be addressed unless it gets extraordinarily off like TEB  few years back.  Also doubt they will clear the overgrowth at Central Park.  I still find my temps closer to EWR/New Brnswck overall but we have had some onshore and southerflow of recent that has produced wide spread over short distances.

• Like 1

At least for the first day of the heatwave on Monday, the high temperature at Newark was in line with the other local NJ local stations.

Data for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 93

Data for PHILADELPHIA INTL AP, PA
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 94

Data for SOMERSET AIRPORT, NJ
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 93

Data for TRENTON-MERCER AIRPORT, NJ
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 93

14 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

I think they had or still have a sun issue. I doubt it will be addressed unless it gets extraordinarily off like TEB  few years back.  Also doubt they will clear the overgrowth at Central Park.  I still find my temps closer to EWR/New Brnswck overall but we have had some onshore and southerflow of recent that has produced wide spread over short distances.

In the past I've usually been not to far off from EWR,  maybe a degree or two...this summer though it's more like 4 degrees or so.

2 minutes ago, doncat said:

In the past I've usually been not to far off from EWR,  maybe a degree or two...this summer though it's more like 4 degrees or so.

Earlier in the day they'll be running just a couple degrees warmer than other stations but they start to pull away by late afternoon. We'll see if today goes the same way

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

At least for the first day of the heatwave on Monday, the high temperature at Newark was in line with the other local NJ local stations.

Data for NEWARK LIBERTY INTL AP, NJ
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 93

Data for PHILADELPHIA INTL AP, PA
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 94

Data for SOMERSET AIRPORT, NJ
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 93

Data for TRENTON-MERCER AIRPORT, NJ
Date
Max Temperature 
2022-07-18 93

Something to watch during the heatwave this week & into the weekend.  As echoed by others though, I don’t see EWR being looked & I don’t see the brush being cut back at NYC either.

Way out there but wonder if the next rain / soaker opportunity comes mid next week as the W. A R builds west and cold fornt pushes/stalls, or some tropical low caught under the high and rides up.  Will see, otherwise looking warm/humid after this strong heat beyond the 27th and on.

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

London hit 104 today (highest temp ever recorded in the UK)...parts of France 109, crazy heat over there. 

many europeans should have gotten a.c long time ago. good thing about london it will cool down very nicely unlike here in most of the us...

49 minutes ago, uofmiami said:

Something to watch during the heatwave this week & into the weekend.  As echoed by others though, I don’t see EWR being looked & I don’t see the brush being cut back at NYC either.

Well it's pretty easy,  volunteer to cut/ clear the brush, coordinating thru nws and central parks parks department. If they don't have to do it/ spend money,  usually things get done these days. Working for ny state parks,  I've seen it many times.  Idk why it haven't been offered/ considered before honestly.