• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2022

bluewave

Newark has been close to 100 numerous times this year. In my area it just has not been a very hot summer.
Currently:
Central Park 88
White Plains 85
Trenton 90
Newark 97
Morristown 91

Newark seems out of line, but I drive from PA to CT almost every week, and when I go through that area the temps always seem to go a couple degrees higher near the airport.

43 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Newark seems out of line, but I drive from PA to CT almost every week, and when I go through that area the temps always seem to go a couple degrees higher near the airport.

Tough to say.  Newark is all concrete.  The Wx Station is in a grassy area, but close enough to the tarmac to pick up the heat.  It's just far enough inland not to be affected much from the ocean?

6 minutes ago, Snowlover11 said:

bust on the storms again, shocker.

Dry, makes dry. Looking up at the sky in Manhattan currently it’s almost like the atmosphere screams storms but the reality is there isn’t enough surface moisture. I expect more fails until we can change the flow and get those high dews we now expect this time of year back

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did well here.  Hail pea to some marble size.  Winds gusts to est. 40 mph.

Not enough hail to coat the ground but hail nonetheless.

Did not go out to read the gauge but has to be .50" to .75" based on how hard it rained for roughly 20 min.

Will check total in the morning.  Thunder and lightning was minimal.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SACRUS said:

7/11

TEB: 89
EWE: 88
NewBrsnswck: 87
PHL: 86
NYC: 85
TTN: 85
LGA: 84
BLM: 83
ACY: 81
JFK: 81
ISP: 80

So yesterday their temp sensor was fine but today it's wrong?  I'm just trying to understand where people are coming from.  I'm not sure if it's off by a few degrees or not but I'm going with their readings until someone proves otherwise.  

**This isnt a a question aimed at you, Sacrus

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bluewave said:

Big Ambrose Jet day as the best heat sets up over NJ and interior SE NY again. Much cooler near the South Shore with wind gusts to 35mph. So plenty of blowing sand and dangerous rip currents at the beach today. 

1E597DB4-E7FE-4288-90FB-68ADFE1E2102.thumb.png.ae410d72f85f869f58d369a35e716db3.png

106B9094-5A0F-4066-9B16-521D6DDBF6A2.thumb.png.0c3700a71b940fbe2220a0163fa82f2f.png

1 hour ago, lee59 said:

Newark has been close to 100 numerous times this year. In my area it just has not been a very hot summer.

Currently:

Central Park 88

White Plains 85

Trenton 90

Newark 97

Morristown 91

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

So yesterday their temp sensor was fine but today it's wrong?  I'm just trying to understand where people are coming from.  I'm not sure if it's off by a few degrees or not but I'm going with their readings until someone proves otherwise.  

**This isnt a a question aimed at you, Sacrus

Yesterday had a SSE wind which seems to keep them in check. 

Tomorrow will be another hot day. Widespread 90s are possible. Somewhat cooler air will arrive afterward.

In the South and Southwest, a significant heatwave continues. Through 4:35 pm MST, Phoenix had a high temperature of 112°. Phoenix will likely see numerous 110° or above temperatures and several minimum temperatures of 90° or above through the remainder of the week.

Elsewhere, Austin reached 109° for the third consecutive day. That tied the record for most consecutive days at 109° or above, which was set during August 27-29, 2011. It also toppled the daily record of 107° from 1954. At Galveston, today was the 10th consecutive day on which the daily record high minimum temperature was either tied or broken.

During June 16-20, the MJO has been in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 1.500 or above. Of the six cases that saw such an outcome during June 15-25 (1988, 2003, 2010, 2012, 2017 and 2020), four had a warmer than normal July, one was somewhat cooler than normal and one was cooler than normal.

The ECMWF seasonal forecast indicates that the summer will be warmer than normal throughout the region and across much of North America. Based on how the pattern has been evolving during the spring transition to summer, it is more likely than not that the warmest anomalies of the summer will likely occur in July and August with June being the coolest of the three months in the Northeast. The latest ECMWF monthly forecast indicates that July will be warmer than June relative to normal and that August will be the warmest summer month relative to normal.

In addition, in the 6 past cases when the June AO averaged +0.750 or above (1950-2021), 50% of the following July cases were warmer than normal. 67% of the following August and September cases featured above normal temperatures.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -1.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.5°C for the week centered around July 6. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -1.30°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.65°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through the summer.

The SOI was +12.25.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.136 today.

On July 10 the MJO was in Phase 5 at an amplitude of 0.658 (RMM). The July 9-adjusted amplitude was 0.897 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 65% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal July (1991-2020 normal). July will likely finish with a mean temperature near 78.6° (1.1° above normal).

The reasons lie in the region’s geography and settlement patterns: Cities heat up more than outlying areas do, Newark sits near sea level, and it is not blessed by the ocean breezes that can take the edge off the heat in New York City and Connecticut and on Long Island. (A somewhat wonkier explanation is below.)

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

But doesn't that almost prove it's not a sensor issue?

Combo sensor & the location is not suitable??? When you have numerous days like today in which day time temps are 4-5 degrees warmer compared to the immediate Newark area consensus then something's clearly wrong. 1-2 degree errors you deal with since that's not out of tolerance however 4-5 degrees renders the location useless as a frame of reference for the immediate metro area.

A retired professional from NYC indicated there have been concerns with the sensor location being abnormally dry. After a run of some very wet July's Newark if off to a bone dry start this month, is this exacerbating the situation???

In any event I'll hitch my wagon to the Dr. that's been the NJ State Climatologist for the past 30 yrs. He has been in contact with Brookhaven ad nauseum regarding Newark.

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, BucksCO_PA said:

Combo sensor & the location is not suitable??? When you have numerous days like today in which day time temps are 4-5 degrees warmer compared to the immediate Newark area consensus then something's clearly wrong. 1-2 degree errors you deal with since that's not out of tolerance however 4-5 degrees renders the location useless as a frame of reference for the immediate metro area.

A retired professional from NYC indicated there have been concerns with the sensor location being abnormally dry. After a run of some very wet July's Newark if off to a bone dry start this month, is this exacerbating the situation???

In any event I'll hitch my wagon to the Dr. that's been the NJ State Climatologist for the past 30 yrs. He has been in contact with Brookhaven ad nauseum regarding Newark.

My question is though, why do the temps at EWR seem more accurate on seabreeze days than on hot days without a seabreeze influence?   How was EWR in line with most areas around them yesterday if there's a sensor issue?