Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

That E central IL/ W Central IN area is brutal for the crops. Saw some photos of knee high corn last week. 

It’s so dry here, and any beneficial rains are hard to come by. Not much rain in the next 7 days with another round of heat, will further exacerbate the drought problems here. 

surprisingly the random pop up showers that drop minuscule rains are greening up the lawns. 

Really crazy how quick things have heated up in the summertime. I've been warning about this since the 1990s, but even so, to see it come to fruition and play out the way it has over the past 30 years has been sobering. We'll likely be seeing summers approaching and exceeding 80+ in our lifetimes. Just look at this data...

Here's the warmest June 1 - July 31st periods on record for Toledo. It's crazy to see how what were once considered very hot summers in my lifetime are now just run of the mill summers. 1991 was 9th hottest on record (out of 128 years) when it occurred. Now it's 20th (out of 150 years). What was once the 9th hottest start to summer on record in Toledo has been surpassed 11 times in the past 32 years (more frequently than once every 3 years). In fact, it's been surpassed every single year since 2019 (2018 was a tenth of a degree cooler). 1995 would have been the 7th hottest start to summer at the time - not relegated to a tie for 14th place. 1999, went from 9th to 17th. These were considered scorching summers when I was younger. It makes you wonder too, whether those heat records of the late 1980s and early 1990s weren't somewhat inflated by the warm-biased HO-83 sensors. Was a big story at the time, especially with the rollout of ASOS in the mid and late 90s.

image.png.c7ec7ea56d10c6dab51c3eee668d17e3.png

Same story at Cleveland. 1995 has gone from 7th hottest start to summer, all the way down to 13th. What was the 7th hottest in 125 years has been surpassed 6 times in 27 years. 1999 went from a two-way tie for 10th all the way down to a three-way tie for 18th in just 23 years. What was considered a scorching summer at the time has been met or surpassed 9 times in 23 years.

image.png.fa12e16c19ab76b50fa748fb763537de.png

Similar story at Canton-Akron, although 1991 is holding up much better (again, wonder how much the HO-83 helped out there?). It's only been surpassed once so far. 1999, on the other hand, went from a two-way tie for 10th place on the hottest starts to summer, all they way to a three-way tie for 18th place. At the time, the 10th hottest summer in 113 years. It's now been met or surpassed 9 times in 23 years.

image.png.c0a854b6d01a623b5d6cc9a1aa81521b.png

Same story with Detroit. I expanded this one a little further to capture the present year, which places 29th overall - but would have been 16th hottest at the end of the 20th century. And heck a bunch of those hot periods were in my lifetime (1987, 1988, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1999) - several probably somewhat inflated. There were only 11 hotter starts to summer before my time. Just to give you a different perspective, by looking at where this seemingly pedestrian summer would have placed in the not so distant past.

image.png.67e2e9651efe60a4d0df14a5091845c6.png

Even the early years are probably inflated since they were typically rooftop measurements in high density urban cores. Ironically, climate deniers have shown that rooftop measurements are garbage. And these weren't even taken with fan aspiration, just an old school Stevenson screen. Probably picking up superheated air from the roof and building. Just crazy they act like its warmed a degree, when it's obviously warmed much more than that just in our lifetimes. 

Two Harbors ends with 3.6" of precip for the month with the avg being 4.05". Avg temp was 61.6 with the normal being 64.8. So far a cooler summer with a temp avg at 59.2 (60.6), and precip lagging, but not by much, with 6.64" (8.28"). The lake has been much cooler this year.

Checking Duluth so far this summer, they are right about avg. 7.91" (8.31"), and 64.5 (64.1).

Pretty avg to slightly above avg summer so far for our region.

Jun-Jul midwest summer map.png

3 hours ago, mjwise said:

Dekalb ended up with more 90s in May (3) than July (2). Would not have guessed that at the beginning of July.

17 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Interesting.  You made me check ours and have the same result.  Had 4 AOA 90 degree days in May, and 3 in July.

If you go farther east, ORD had 2 in May and 4 in July.  Would be curious to see if areas farther east in the sub tended to have more in May or July.  

20 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI had 6 in May, 4 in July.

Seems like we may have a west/east thing going in the sub as far as which month had more 90 degree days.  I checked a few more locations...

South Bend:  2 May, 4 July

Detroit:  1 May, 5 July

Indianapolis:  0 May, 9 July

This kind of fits with my recollection of the May heat spell being more impressive toward the western sub, but I wasn't sure.

11 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Seems like we may have a west/east thing going in the sub as far as which month had more 90 degree days.  I checked a few more locations...

South Bend:  2 May, 4 July

Detroit:  1 May, 5 July

Indianapolis:  0 May, 9 July

This kind of fits with my recollection of the May heat spell being more impressive toward the western sub, but I wasn't sure.

Grand Rapids: 0 May, 4 July