• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

After a couple inches of rain at Midway, will be interesting to see if they still outperform ORD with temps in coming days.  I'm not gonna bet against it.  That place is magical.

And we already have an answer…

Currently MDW is ahead of ORD by 4°, and ahead of all other metro sites by 3-7°.
  • Haha 1

Well, I recalibrated my circuitry so to speak in an effort to address the warm bias that I was having at ORD and MDW.  Let's test it out for Tuesday.

I'll go 90 at ORD and 92 at MDW.  Will this turn out well or will I even be too cool somewhere?!  Stay tuned.

1 hour ago, Hoosier said:

Well, I recalibrated my circuitry so to speak in an effort to address the warm bias that I was having at ORD and MDW.  Let's test it out for Tuesday.

I'll go 90 at ORD and 92 at MDW.  Will this turn out well or will I even be too cool somewhere?!  Stay tuned.

I'm guessing you'll adjust a bit given what both locations are topping out at today.

On 7/18/2022 at 2:44 PM, Hoosier said:

This first call might have been nails before I was influenced by Chi Storm to change it.  ;)  High of 90 at ORD, which should hold.  91 at MDW so we'll see if that's the final number.  

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This first call might have been nails before I was influenced by Chi Storm to change it.  ;)  High of 90 at ORD, which should hold.  91 at MDW so we'll see if that's the final number.  

Those ended up being the final numbers for today. Yesterday it was only MDW/PWK/UGN (lol) to hit 90+, and today it was only MDW/ORD/PWK/UGN (lol) to do it.

90°+ day tally for the year...

19 - MDW
16 - RFD
14 - Ex-Home
12 - Current Home
11 - ORD

4 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Those ended up being the final numbers for today. Yesterday it was only MDW/PWK/UGN (lol) to hit 90+, and today it was only MDW/ORD/PWK/UGN (lol) to do it.

90°+ day tally for the year...

19 - MDW
16 - RFD
14 - Ex-Home
12 - Current Home
11 - ORD

Wonder when the last time was that MDW only beat ORD by 1 degree on a day with S/SW flow (no lake influence).  I'm pretty surprised that MDW didn't top Monday's high.  Not sure if there were more clouds or what.  The flow on Tuesday was passing over the localized area that really got dumped on south of MDW a couple days ago.  Wonder if that could've played a role.

22 hours ago, Hoosier said:

14 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Wonder when the last time was that MDW only beat ORD by 1 degree on a day with S/SW flow (no lake influence).  I'm pretty surprised that MDW didn't top Monday's high.  Not sure if there were more clouds or what.  The flow on Tuesday was passing over the localized area that really got dumped on south of MDW a couple days ago.  Wonder if that could've played a role.

Re: Temps yesterday under-performing...

Looks like it was due to a combination of DP's being a few degrees higher, and a change in mixing depths. DVN soundings show mixing was deeper there on Monday compared to yesterday.

Some notable bust potential with temps around here on Saturday.  Seems like there is an increasing signal in guidance for convection in the LOT cwa on Fri night into Sat.  Questions revolve around the path, duration and how much overturning it will cause.  In a most extreme case with robust convection lingering into a good part of Saturday, temps would struggle to recover out of the 80s.  On the other hand, if convection doesn't materialize for some reason or misses north, then the thermal profiles that would be in place on Sat would result in highs deep into the 90s.  Probably have to go with a middle ground solution as of now with some morning convection but enough of a recovery for highs of 90+

On 7/20/2022 at 2:38 PM, Chicago Storm said:

Re: Temps yesterday under-performing...

Looks like it was due to a combination of DP's being a few degrees higher, and a change in mixing depths. DVN soundings show mixing was deeper there on Monday compared to yesterday.

The Midway that we know and love is back, with a 3 degree lead over ORD currently.

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Some notable bust potential with temps around here on Saturday.  Seems like there is an increasing signal in guidance for convection in the LOT cwa on Fri night into Sat.  Questions revolve around the path, duration and how much overturning it will cause.  In a most extreme case with robust convection lingering into a good part of Saturday, temps would struggle to recover out of the 80s.  On the other hand, if convection doesn't materialize for some reason or misses north, then the thermal profiles that would be in place on Sat would result in highs deep into the 90s.  Probably have to go with a middle ground solution as of now with some morning convection but enough of a recovery for highs of 90+

might be a good thing. Had my driveway newly repaved. Worried with too much heat it'll catch fire.