11 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Time to put this to bed...

...GRR...

July (So far): +0.21"

June: -2.52"

May: +0.07"

April: +1.20"

March: +1.11"

The stats don't tell the whole picture.  There were a couple occasions where GRR itself was right in line for a band of thunderstorms while areas very nearby had little or no rain.  Also it doesn't indicate the timing of the rains either.  There have been long periods with little or no precip followed by decent rains and then another long break.  May barely finished above normal and June was very dry.  July will be going below normal most likely starting Sunday.  I think it really goes back to the spotty nature of rain in West Michigan recently.  I went 30 minutes north of my house yesterday and the grass was green while still fairly crispy brown in my back yard.  This is what @frostfern is complaining about on a regular basis.

A nice area of rain dropped south through east-central Iowa this morning.  Much of the heavy rain went around me, but I still picked up a decent 0.83".  Much of the city got 1+" and a band of 2-3" fell on the north and east sides.  For the week I've received 1.43".  That's a disappointing total given the pattern and other totals across eastern Iowa, but not everyone can be the big winner.

There is a town ten miles southeast of Cedar Rapids that got another 3" this morning, putting them at 10" over the last two weeks.

• Like 1

I gotta wonder what kind of temperature departures we are going to see in the nation's midsection this month.  It has a chance to be very impressive by summer temp departure standards. Widespread +3 to +7 through the first 8 days of the month with potentially bigger heat to come.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Predictably, the GFS has backed down on the strength/size of the ridge in the long range, as well as its eastern extent.

But still looking plenty hot for the Plains and Mississippi Valley.

I would think it should be close enough that we at least get pulses of heat eastward.

8 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I would think it should be close enough that we at least get pulses of heat eastward.

What has been persistent -NAO blocking (which may even strengthen towards the end of the month) will probably ensure that it remains transient the further north and east one gets.

Either way, as Alek implied in the Texas thread, we're boned out here unless the Tropics miraculously come through.

4 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

should see some bonus rains today to keep the drought away

2 hours ago, Baum said:

fingers crossed.

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I wouldn't expect it to amount to a lot except maybe somebody who manages to get under a tstorm.

We're probably just about done for the day/night regarding anything interesting/meaningful.