Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

8 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

93/81/115 imby. 

I think it’s high on the temp by a degree or two, but it’s miserable outside 

94/73/104 at KIND. I agree with you that it is not nice outside at all. Hiding here inside in the A/C.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

I went back and looked at this morning's forecast, and it was only low 90s.  Potential was there to overachieve though (based on HRRR, etc).

Yeah, there were lots of questions concerning this morning's storm track and accompanying clouds clearing out. Even though the FWA area had 5-6" rains this morning, they have quickly shot up to 88°

Probably not worth nit-picking to death...but it's strange that RFD isn't under an excessive heat warning, even as it's 95/79/113.

Seems like an abundance of caution should be taken for heat-related hazards, given the reports you often hear of children being left in cars, people with no AC, etc. 

Side note - I've always thought that the heat advisory and excessive heat warning thresholds in the LOT area are too strict to begin with.  In other words, it's extremely difficult to hit the excessive heat warning criteria.  Even with this in mind, today isn't a case of whether the criteria are too strict; the criteria were met in RFD but they're only under a heat advisory.  And the overnight low temps, amount of sun, etc. could be considered too. RFD only dropped to 77 this morning, with dews in the mid-upper 70s for 9-12 consecutive hours.

• Like 1

I can't remember the exact name of it, but there's something like wet bulb global temperature which factors in wind speed and other things that the traditional heat index does not.  I wish that could be incorporated into the decisions on heat headlines.  A day with little/no wind and a heat index of 101 feels worse to me than a breezy day with a heat index of 106.  The latter day would likely get a heat advisory while the former wouldn't.

17 minutes ago, beavis1729 said:

Probably not worth nit-picking to death...but it's strange that RFD isn't under an excessive heat warning, even as it's 95/79/113.

Seems like an abundance of caution should be taken for heat-related hazards, given the reports you often hear of children being left in cars, people with no AC, etc. 

Side note - I've always thought that the heat advisory and excessive heat warning thresholds in the LOT area are too strict to begin with.  In other words, it's extremely difficult to hit the excessive heat warning criteria.  Even with this in mind, today isn't a case of whether the criteria are too strict; the criteria were met in RFD but they're only under a heat advisory.  And the overnight low temps, amount of sun, etc. could be considered too. RFD only dropped to 77 this morning, with dews in the mid-upper 70s for 9-12 consecutive hours.

The criteria for an EHW outside of Cook Co is two days of heat indices of 110+.

14 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The criteria for an EHW outside of Cook Co is two days of heat indices of 110+.

Thanks, and my bad on the exact criteria.  But that just reinforces the point that the criteria seem to be too strict. 

Just my two cents...but even one day of 110+ HI (or 2 days of 105+ HI), along with the wet bulb global temp considerations that Hoosier mentioned, seems to be more than enough for a warning.  I understand that the NWS doesn't want to be accused of crying wolf...but anything close to a 110 HI for even two seconds is brutal with no AC.  It can cause major problems for vulnerable people.

45 minutes ago, tuanis said:

Potent lake breeze has been eating away at any advancing precip for hours here, will be interesting to see when/if it gets overcome. Reminds me of dry easterlies delaying the onset of a snowstorm.

Boundary gonna wash out as we head deeper into evening.