Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

14 hours ago, kdxken said:

"The UK wasn't the only place with extreme/record breaking heat today. Every single Oklahoma Mesonet weather station surpassed 102F today, with Oklahoma City peaking at 110F. This is not "normal summer" weather - it's one of Oklahoma's hottest days on record.

Ummm. I wasn't saying that. It just isn't unique. Its a b**ch of a heat wave, right up there  in the top 10 maybe, but it has happened before. Been there when it has. It is absolutely awful to live through a reverse anology might be February 2015 here (though many of us loved it, it was brutal for those who had to find parking spaces in New England cities, pay heating bills, or deal with water running down the inside of their windows because of water damming). As for Climate Change, I'm not even going there--there is no denying it exists, but this is about a WEATHER event. I've been in OKC more than once with temps at 107 which is a whole 3 degrees below the max at Will Roger's on Tuesday. Seen the stupid bank thermometers at 112 a handful of times. Also mentioned the average high is 93-94 in July/August. For persepctive; its analogous to the kind of weather we are experiencing this week right here vs. "normal".

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Ummm. I wasn't saying that. It just isn't unique. Its a b**ch of a heat wave, right up there  in the top 10 maybe, but it has happened before. Been there when it has. It is absolutely awful to live through a reverse anology might be February 2015 here (though many of us loved it, it was brutal for those who had to find parking spaces in New England cities, pay heating bills, or deal with water running down the inside of their windows because of water damming). As for Climate Change, I'm not even going there--there is no denying it exists, but this is about a WEATHER event. I've been in OKC more than once with temps at 107 which is a whole 3 degrees below the max at Will Roger's on Tuesday. Seen the stupid bank thermometers at 112 a handful of times. Also mentioned the average high is 93-94 in July/August. For persepctive; its analogous to the kind of weather we are experiencing this week right here vs. "normal".

Check it out-popped up to 89.6!

27 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Check it out-popped up to 89.6!

???? Don't get the relation to my quote you used in realtion to your comment. Temps in the mid 90s here today and over a pretty wide swath of interior Worcester county. Thats 10-15 degrees above normal (ORH on the  low side for avg highs; some places near me in the mid 80s on the higher side) 110 in OKC is about 15-17 AN for that area. If we kiss 100 on Sunday we'll be looking at 15-20 AN here. Basically saying that the RELATIVE absolute highs are.... well..... relative. UK example is  much more extreme but its source was much drierr (DPs in the mid 40s to mid 50s in London because of Sahara origin). Also, gotta look at the low baseline average temps in the region to start. For us to have 30F AN (110 here; 123-125 in OK) on the line of the UK event would require something almost unimaginable--a source of dry heat that would  allow temps to rise that high. Could happen in OK  because of a direct SSW flow from Mexico; here GOM and Atlantic moisture would make it tougher. Of course, anything is possible in a warming world--even a redux of Feb 2015 only 5 degrees colder. Just ain't too likely.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Dew point of 72F at MVL.  75/72.  Feels like a Dominican beach resort, but no where near as fun, ha.  Windows fogging level reached.

Pretty sure that’s solidly the highest Td of the year.

Steambath tonight

image.gif

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

???? Don't get the relation to my quote you used in realtion to your comment. Temps in the mid 90s here today and over a pretty wide swath of interior Worcester county. Thats 10-15 degrees above normal (ORH on the  low side for avg highs; some places near me in the mid 80s on the higher side) 110 in OKC is about 15-17 AN for that area. If we kiss 100 on Sunday we'll be looking at 15-20 AN here. Basically saying that the RELATIVE absolute highs are.... well..... relative. UK example is  much more extreme but its source was much drierr (DPs in the mid 40s to mid 50s in London because of Sahara origin). Also, gotta look at the low baseline average temps in the region to start. For us to have 30F AN (110 here; 123-125 in OK) on the line of the UK event would require something almost unimaginable--a source of dry heat that would  allow temps to rise that high. Could happen in OK  because of a direct SSW flow from Mexico; here GOM and Atlantic moisture would make it tougher. Of course, anything is possible in a warming world--even a redux of Feb 2015 only 5 degrees colder. Just ain't too likely.

Lol…thought I was quoting Tip.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, J Paul Gordon said:

I think he was directing that toward me 

I’m interested in Logan late high phenomenon and as he lives there we sort of keep track of these opportunities 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Just bought some milk with the expiration date Aug. 3.  In the midst of a mild-up, the clock still ticks toward fall.

26 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

love this!!  :thumbsup:

The problem with that logic is, that if we don’t get any significant snow storms by Christmas, then we are already heading towards spring.   

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Steambath tonight

image.gif

No difference between up north and well south in terms of air mass.  She’s a humid torch.

There was a band of water added to the low levels in the form of scattered storms in N/NW VT, the stations like Newport and Highgate that are usually featuring the lowest dews, are sitting 73F-76.

Its awesome to see the footprint of brief afternoon rains juicing the evening dews… cool to see the pockets of higher Td.  It feels it.

5 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

The problem with that logic is, that if we don’t get any significant snow storms by Christmas, then we are already heading towards spring.   

Don't get me wrong--I see it marking the changes all year long.  That said, August is a lot closer to fall than Christmas is to spring.  :)