Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

45 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Prepare for heat and dews.   WAR is coming 2nd half of July.

I think I'm onto the same aspects you might be seeing?   ...Not sure I'm ready to bite on WAR obtruding from the E ( if so) like the classic look.. maybe.

Problem is, the summer's so far not really behaving wrong wrt to all this higher latitude blocking - it's all fantastically complex, but the faster than normal polar jet and R-wave amplitude ( > than climo for mid summer) is actually a good fit for the easterly phase of the QBO.  It flipped signs toward the end of 2021, ...and now it's penetrating through the 30hPa into the 50 as strengthening phase state.  That's too bad it wasn't happening on say Nov 15 ..

Anyway, that phase isn't really correlated as well with big subtropical ridge arc with a strong annular mode of the AO bottled up N.  It's actually correlated to more relaxed AO's with tendencies to blocking and well... that seems to be biasing the summer thus far.  All's well. 

That said, ... mid seasonal/radiative forcing may normalize the gradients ...temporarily/transiently offsetting all that.  The idea of a shear axis evolving along ~ 90W with some WAR "could" fit into that/those sort of interlude(s).

As that implies I don’t believe it would last… I think that’s why the GFS just keeps reloading Southeast Canada. There’s really less support for rising AAM. 

The upshot is that it would correlate well to an earlier winter seeing as these phases last for 20 months or whatever so will still be in a pretty strong easterly phase as we plunge through autumn.

just poking the hornets nest :D

4 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

When I see flips like that on the models within the medium-to-long range I take that as a precursor to a pattern change. Now this doesn't mean the heat builds in...pattern could change which favors an even deeper trough :lol: 

That's no where close to the 'mid-range' by convention though

That's like in orbit around the extended ...

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

That's no where close to the 'mid-range' by convention though

That's like in orbit around the extended ...

Was just saying in general. But yeah that certainly is not mid-range. 

But I seriously hope that 12z GEFS verifies. Over-the-top heat and that pattern is likely to swing some MCS this way. 700 shows a subtle trough in the West so maybe we can get some EML advection around the top of the ridge too. I'm mostly fantasizing here but if you want such potential that is the look to make it happen...doesn't mean that it will though 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Drought stein digging in heels now for duration. Everyone just needs to hunker in 

Yeah, can't stress that enough.  Very dry and increasing heat...thankfully some dews coming, maybe a few spots will get a shower or two in the next couple weeks.  Hopefully everyone is prepared.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

Yeah, can't stress that enough.  Very dry and increasing heat...thankfully some dews coming, maybe a few spots will get a shower or two in the next couple weeks.  Hopefully everyone is prepared.

Until the big cat 2 or higher cane LF up thru the CTRV in September which can help dent the drought to the west … we just dig in and hope for best , but prepare for worst 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

3 hours ago, Cyclone-68 said:

Are their any tropical cyclones showing up on long range guidance for the East Coast? 

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Gulf could be an area to watch next week...although I don't know what shear is like. Anyways GFS bringing some potential for big rains to southeast Texas. 

Any time you have a front draped like that during this boring time of year it’s worth a little attention, but the signal is weak at best right now.

We’re about 3-4 weeks away from the pattern becoming much more favorable for TC genesis if the guidance is to be believed. The homebrew :wub: regions are warm, a niña seems a lock for the peak of the season, and the WAM is active which should mean plenty of good waves during CV season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hammer going Hammertime on dews. Long duration stretch starts Tuesday as Coc ks go into hibernation till mid Oct

byhn8gL.jpg

October? It doesn’t even last until Friday. Not sure there’s anything to prevent the see-saw type pattern to continue.

1D99B26E-830F-4314-A05C-3BCA54933CCF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

GEFs dews a week out? Good luck bro . Fight it if you want . Long hot summer locking in 

That’s a map of 850mb temp anomalies.  No dews on there.  What it’s showing is another trough in the means swinging through behind the FROPA on Thursday.

The EPS has it too, if we want to go the more data-based route over gut intuition.  We can only make claims as well as the data presented at the time.

It certainly will be hot and humid Tue/Wed as the TV graphic showed.

5F24398A-753A-4AB1-8F2A-63EEE861E4EB.thumb.png.d9238a67eb02a2edaee30d11e3e3d68d.png

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s a map of 850mb temp anomalies.  No dews on there.  What it’s showing is another trough in the means swinging through behind the FROPA on Thursday.

The EPS has it too, if we want to go the more data-based route over gut intuition.  We can only make claims as well as the data presented at the time.

5F24398A-753A-4AB1-8F2A-63EEE861E4EB.thumb.png.d9238a67eb02a2edaee30d11e3e3d68d.png

Man.. you just can’t resist . Good luck to you and yours 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Would you stop with those silly charts? No meteorologist worth his salt uses those...