Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

3 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Yeah.  It was good.  I am already envisioning some of the story heading in a certain direction, but I am probably wrong on my assumptions.

I read the book in preparation for the series, but the cool thing about the book is that there is no definitive account of how things happen. Like it will say so and so end up falling from a window. But were they pushed, did they jump, or did they fall, because there are three different accounts ongoing through the book. So HBO can go in any of those directions with many of the deaths. 

They've already made a couple changes from the book that I would say so far really enhance the TV story.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BrianW said:

Anyone using oil or propane should fill their tanks now. I don't think people realize how high oil/propane prices are going to be this winter. The first cold snap is going to send prices through the roof.  

Low fuel inventories cause special concern in US Northeast.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/low-fuel-inventories-special-concern-us-northeast-88964767

PORTLAND, Maine -- Diesel and heating oil supplies in the Northeast are more than 50% below the recent average, raising concerns that an extreme weather event could cause supply disruptions, federal officials said.

Fuel supplies are lower than normal across the country for a variety of reasons, including the war in Ukraine. But it's the worst in the Northeast.

thanks for the heads up

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Picked up 6 lobsters from a buddy of mine Saturday, Met him in Topsham half way point from Harpswell, The smallest was 2lbs to largest 2.7lbs, $10 ea.

Nice price, though I'm guessing they were shedders, modifying the cost.  That big boy must've been close to the 5" max.

On 8/18/2022 at 7:03 AM, BrianW said:

My sister just bought an investment property in Narragansett and the previous owner left this Davis on a pole and an anemometer on the chimney. The wire looks cut coming out the bottom of the conduit on the chimney anemometer. Can that be repaired? What would be needed to test these? Just a display like this? 

https://www.scientificsales.com/6312-Additional-Console-Display-for-Vantage-Pro2-p/6312.htm

Got the Davis online but I'm not getting any wind speed data. The wind direction is working so maybe I need a new wind cartridge that comes in this tune up kit?

Check out the new station on Pt Judith. Appears to be the only one there according to the wunderground map. 

Anyone know the ideal placement? It's currently on the right in the picture on the pole in the bushes

• Like 4

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

Picked up 6 lobsters from a buddy of mine Saturday, Met him in Topsham half way point from Harpswell, The smallest was 2lbs to largest 2.7lbs, $10 ea.

I'll be up in Maine tomorrow, gonna check the prices of the guy in Kittery and maybe pick a few up. Going for stripers in the morning although I hear the blues are hitting, maybe I get lucky.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

I'll be up in Maine tomorrow, gonna check the prices of the guy in Kittery and maybe pick a few up. Going for stripers in the morning although I hear the blues are hitting, maybe I get lucky.

Boat price is around $4.50/lb. Stripers had been on the bite this last month, I've not had anytime other then out once fishing, Good Luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife bought back a souvenir tee shirt for me from Maine, thank you dear.  I started looking at and noticed that it has latitude and longitude readings on it but the look a bit of.  Turns out that 33.6891°N  78.8867°W is actually Myrtle Beach, SC not Wells, ME.  No wonder the shirt was on sale.

• Haha 4

31 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My wife bought back a souvenir tee shirt for me from Maine, thank you dear.  I started looking at and noticed that it has latitude and longitude readings on it but the look a bit of.  Turns out that 33.6891°N  78.8867°W is actually Myrtle Beach, SC not Wells, ME.  No wonder the shirt was on sale.

Even 43°N drops you in the middle of Lake Ontario.

51 minutes ago, mreaves said:

She should have drove further north and bought the 45 parallel one..............;)

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Did she get you the Muscongus Bay sticker too?

51_750x750_Front_Color-White.jpg

• Haha 1

Speaking of drought… the world’s third largest river (Yangtze in China) and drying up are probably not phrases we want to hear.

Even 50% less water in the world’s 3rd largest river is pretty noteworthy I’d think?  Seeing as they use a huge amount of hydropower, that probably isn’t a warm fuzzy feeling.

4F97804E-1B1F-4F8C-AF54-34A6CD8847CA.thumb.jpeg.9e323143bcdb6f28beabd4f0f3858300.jpeg

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Speaking of drought… the world’s third largest river (Yangtze in China) and drying up are probably not phrases we want to hear.

Even 50% less water in the world’s 3rd largest river is pretty noteworthy I’d think?  Seeing as they use a huge amount of hydropower, that probably isn’t a warm fuzzy feeling.

4F97804E-1B1F-4F8C-AF54-34A6CD8847CA.thumb.jpeg.9e323143bcdb6f28beabd4f0f3858300.jpeg

I'll try and find the article I just read about how all the coal plants out in Montana or somewhere have to start worrying about running out of cooling water to operate them. Some of those plants use like 16 million gallons of cooling water a day and the rivers are at record low levels. Those plants also power like millions of homes in a couple states so losing one of those would have a huge impact.

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

And it’s not just a hydropower issue for them. This has large ramifications on the supply chain front. That area is a huge mfg and export hub so plants reducing mfg capacity while transport of goods become limited will have a substantial trickle down effect globally. Americans need to pay attention.

• Like 1