• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

My sister just bought an investment property in Narragansett and the previous owner left this Davis on a pole and an anemometer on the chimney. The wire looks cut coming out the bottom of the conduit on the chimney anemometer. Can that be repaired? What would be needed to test these? Just a display like this? 

https://www.scientificsales.com/6312-Additional-Console-Display-for-Vantage-Pro2-p/6312.htm

Screenshot_20220818-070324_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220818-070335_Gallery.jpg

47 minutes ago, BrianW said:

My sister just bought an investment property in Narragansett and the previous owner left this Davis on a pole and an anemometer on the chimney. The wire looks cut coming out the bottom of the conduit on the chimney anemometer. Can that be repaired? What would be needed to test these? Just a display like this? 

https://www.scientificsales.com/6312-Additional-Console-Display-for-Vantage-Pro2-p/6312.htm

Screenshot_20220818-070324_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220818-070335_Gallery.jpg

You could look here to see what parts you need.

https://www.davisinstruments.com/collections/replacement-parts-1

• Like 1

Top is the all-in-1 vantage vue...bottom is a stand alone anemometer for a vantage pro 2. I think Bob has the Vue so he may know better, but you probably only need the Vue console and datalogger for that. The anemometer is trickier because you need an ISS (integrated sensor suite) to plug it into and then either a console/datalogger or the direct ip logger to get the data. If they cut that cord then you need to splice it with more 4-conductorb cabling and one of those cat5 plugs as well. They sell cabling kits for that if you aren't sure what you're doing.

The thing to probably do is get a console for the Vue and then you'd have temp, hum, wind, rain, pressure, etc.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Top is the all-in-1 vantage vue...bottom is a stand alone anemometer for a vantage pro 2. I think Bob has the Vue so he may know better, but you probably only need the Vue console and datalogger for that. The anemometer is trickier because you need an ISS (integrated sensor suite) to plug it into and then either a console/datalogger or the direct ip logger to get the data. If they cut that cord then you need to splice it with more 4-conductorb cabling and one of those cat5 plugs as well. They sell cabling kits for that if you aren't sure what you're doing.

The thing to probably do is get a console for the Vue and then you'd have temp, hum, wind, rain, pressure, etc.

Looks like this is the display.

https://www.scientificsales.com/6351-Vantage-Vue-Console-Receiver-p/6351.htm

I would also like to get the station online on  wunderground. It looks like this will do it but it's just a circuit board?

The weatherlive system says its not available until September due to the chip shortage and it says this is an alternative.

https://www.scientificsales.com/WiFi-Logger2-for-Davis-Vantage-Pro2-Vantage-Vue-p/7950.htm

Edit: Found out the wifi logger is this system. 

WiFiLogger is a 3rd party data logger to use with Davis® weather stations consoles.

https://wifilogger.net/

Yeah that will work. You just won't have the software to view it on a computer, but you can send the data online just fine. There's Davis apps to view the data as well. You may be able to get the software through the Davis site and it might...might...work with that logger.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

No. I have the Vantage Pro 2 with the fan aspiration.  I set up my anemometer remotely with a transmitter.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 9:50 AM, CoastalWx said:

I see places allowing to lock in prices.....so maybe that is more speculation then anything?

In the process here of locking in my annual usage for oil with a new vendor, Just bought 100 gals though before i sign a contract as it was $30 less from another company then what i'm contracting for.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah that will work. You just won't have the software to view it on a computer, but you can send the data online just fine. There's Davis apps to view the data as well. You may be able to get the software through the Davis site and it might...might...work with that logger.

Scooter won’t do any of it. Refuses to spend any money to get it online and working. 

• Confused 1

Any energy folks here want to take a stab at what I should do? 

have a 500 gallon underground propane tank… has about 20% or a hundred gallons left.

Should I fill with prices now or wait until later in the winter? Any chances prices will be lower then?

Given my usage history; what’s in the tank will last me probably until at least Christmas; probably into January 

20 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Any energy folks here want to take a stab at what I should do? 

have a 500 gallon underground propane tank… has about 20% or a hundred gallons left.

Should I fill with prices now or wait until later in the winter? Any chances prices will be lower then?

Given my usage history; what’s in the tank will last me probably until at least Christmas; probably into January 

Fill now, prices are going to go thru the roof

• Weenie 2

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I literally can’t find a single projection for this winter.

@BrianW

??

From yesterday’s Boston Glob 

The US Department of Energy on Thursday night sent letters to each of the six New England governors urging them to begin shoring up their oil supplies in advance of the coming winter and the peak of hurricane season.

As it stands, the region’s oil stockpile is low — not low enough to prompt emergency action — but at a level the US governmentbelieves could lead to disruptions during a New England winter storm or extreme weather in the Gulf of Mexico, where the region imports much of its oil and fuel from. Stockpiling now, the Energy Departmentsays, will prevent strain on the system during extreme weather.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I literally can’t find a single projection for this winter.

@BrianW

??

I would probably fill now.  Historically prices usually increase as soon as it gets cold. I don't think people realize how much the situation in Ukraine/Europe is going to impact fuel costs here this winter especially New England. The future spot price for electricity in Europe is approaching $500 mwh this coming winter as they have a massive shortage of natural gas in storage for the winter. Here in New England which has sky high electricity costs we average around $50 mwh as a comparison.

Even wood pellets are going to be impacted as Europe is importing record pellets mainly from the Southeast. 

Have you looked into ditching propane and going with a heat pump?  Massachusetts has huge rebates for them and their is now a massive federal rebate for them that make them almost essentially free to convert when you combine the 2.

Take a look at this efficiency Maine fuel cost calculator. These numbers are based on current fuel costs and the savings are pretty massive.

Heat pump $1747

Propane $5053

If I remember correctly Taunton has their own electricity that is way cheaper than the rest of Massachusetts so your costs may actually be lower. 

https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-home/heating-cost-comparison/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

I would probably fill now.  Historically prices usually increase as soon as it gets cold. I don't think people realize how much the situation in Ukraine/Europe is going to impact fuel costs here this winter especially New England. The future spot price for electricity in Europe is approaching $500 mwh this coming winter as they have a massive shortage of natural gas in storage for the winter. Here in New England which has sky high electricity costs we average around $50 mwh as a comparison.

Even wood pellets are going to be impacted as Europe is importing record pellets mainly from the Southeast. 

Have you looked into ditching propane and going with a heat pump?  Massachusetts has huge rebates for them and their is now a massive federal rebate for them that make them almost essentially free to convert when you combine the 2.

Take a look at this efficiency Maine fuel cost calculator. These numbers are based on current fuel costs and the savings are pretty massive.

Heat pump $1747

Propane $5053

If I remember correctly Taunton has their own electricity that is way cheaper than the rest of Massachusetts so your costs may actually be lower. 

So we are actually only spending about $800-$1000 dollars on propane a year, our system is pretty efficient as it’s a new house.

Is a heat pump basically just a type of mini split?

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So we are actually only spending about $800-$1000 dollars on propane a year, our system is pretty efficient as it’s a new house.

Yes. You can also get a whole house heat pump if you have ducts. If you don't then a mini split will save you a fortune over propane. 

2 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We're in the same boat.  Newer house, newer system, propane for 2400 sq, spend $1200 a year all-in on propane.  Even with the price we locked in at this year, we're looking at $1400 based on past usage.

Looked at heat pump system, did the analysis, would not be worth the investment for heating because we're so efficient.  The only reason we would have gone for it would have been for cooling.  Much more efficient than running window units.  My local climo/house isn't that demanding on cooling, though, so ultimately we didn't get them.

2 hours ago, BrianW said:

Heat pump $1747

Propane $5053

I just had one installed last week and have a full tank of oil and 7 cords of wood. I should be immune to the oil prices this year anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

In a newer home and as your propane usage shows its probably not worth converting to save money. 

But don't forget about the environmental impact of using propane.  Extracting oil, converting it to propane at a refinery, putting it on a ship or train , then a truck to deliver it to your house etc. 

If you have the financial means to convert do it.  Just about every state in New England has literally the best incentives in the nation for heat pumps and solar. To me its more than the monetary savings 

Has anyone been following the federal incentives? Many analysts think these federal rebates on top of the generous New England ones will cover the entire cost of converting.

Rebate.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would also agree on filling now.  While it's tough to get projections on propane, fuel costs are expected to rise this winter.  Gasoline is falling right now, but only because refineries are finally catching up with demand and the markets have priced the Ukraine war into oil based commodities by now. Europe not buying Russian natural gas is a huge wildcard at the moment that could have some chain reactions.  It's kind of unprecedented...

53 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

I would also agree on filling now.  While it's tough to get projections on propane, fuel costs are expected to rise this winter.  Gasoline is falling right now, but only because refineries are finally catching up with demand and the markets have priced the Ukraine war into oil based commodities by now. Europe not buying Russian natural gas is a huge wildcard at the moment that could have some chain reactions.  It's kind of unprecedented...

Have you seen the future spot prices on electricity in Europe this winter? It's approaching a record $500 mwh. Here in New England with some of the most expensive electricity in the US our average price of around $50 mwh is a bargain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Have you seen the future spot prices on electricity in Europe this winter? It's approaching a record $500 mwh. Here in New England with some of the most expensive electricity in the US our average price of $50 mwh is a bargain.

Wa

I have but it's still speculation at this point.  More than likely it will come to fruition but things can also change quickly.  Regardless I think many of replying are in agreement that now is the time to fill up, if you can, because it doesn't look like prices will get much better in the Winter months and will most likely get worse.

37 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

For GOT fans, especially those who let down by the final season….House of Dragon last night was very good. I was skeptical at first but it drew me in right away, the series started off with a bang.

https://www.boston.com/culture/tv/2022/08/21/george-r-r-martin-is-finally-getting-the-show-he-wanted/?p1=hp_featurebox

Finish the damn book GRRM

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

For GOT fans, especially those who let down by the final season….House of Dragon last night was very good. I was skeptical at first but it drew me in right away, the series started off with a bang.

I picked up Fire and Blood (book it was based on) 3 weeks ago and thought no chance do I finish in time for the premier, but it was really good and I couldn't put it down. 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:48 AM, TwoDogNight said:

On those of us that heat with fuel oil....

Trying to reconcile that article with the mid winter futures contracts...

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/future/ho.1  Big betters...buy Feb 2023 contract now and make 2.5x your money in 6 months?

But either way my stove will be busy...

So...when I wrote this about the heating oil futures...it's up 10% or so in 9 or so days...looks like I should have been a bettor.

It's gonna be a nasty winter for a lot of people if it's a cold one.  :-(