Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
New England Met Summer 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Give us a review, Taylor Brook in Woodstock is good if you want to take a ride some weekend.

Taylor Brook is about 15 minutes from me. They have good October/Oktober fests at the brewery.  Catch a nice day and its awesome out on the lawn.  Bring some food, drink and be low key.

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Their calling card is the sturdy, flat armrests that are perfect for resting beverages on.  

Our son built a nice one when he was in high school.  (He was in the carpentry trade thing).   Super comfortable.   We have a few plastic ones for the pool deck and fire pit.    I want some more permanent ones 

• Like 1

Any car folks here want to take a guess at a problem I have? During the summer; the inside of my windows keep getting a weird foggy film on them thats hard to remove, almost like it’s greasy or something.

what could cause this? I though heater/coolant leak? But I’m not using heat and there is no evidence coolant is leaking and the car isn’t overheating 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Any car folks here want to take a guess at a problem I have? During the summer; the inside of my windows keep getting a weird foggy film on them thats hard to remove, almost like it’s greasy or something.

what could cause this? I though heater/coolant leak? But I’m not using heat and there is no evidence coolant is leaking and the car isn’t overheating 

I’ve seen that. It may need a cleaner that specializes in getting rid of that.

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Extremely high Taunton dew points? According to Bob they never get below 70.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Also, my mom is looking at a 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid. An old lady owned it and only has 57k miles on it. My question, what are these hybrid batteries lifespan? It only has 57k miles, but the car is almost 10 years old 

Not specific to hybrids but low mileage old folk cars are usually not the bargain they appear . Was it garaged? If not, cars that sit without much use usually  have brake and drivetrain issues. Frozen calipers and the like.

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Any chance it's off gassing from the plastics or plastic like materials? Does your car get really hot? (Park it in full sun during work, for instance.) I've used Sprayway glass cleaner in the blue and white can. It doesn't smell the best and you need to follow use a microfiber towel but it does a great job of getting the junk off of the interior windows.

15 minutes ago, monadnocks said:

Any chance it's off gassing from the plastics or plastic like materials? Does your car get really hot? (Park it in full sun during work, for instance.) I've used Sprayway glass cleaner in the blue and white can. It doesn't smell the best and you need to follow use a microfiber towel but it does a great job of getting the junk off of the interior windows.

My car is in full sun all day, at work and at home, and it does get insanely hot. Wonder if that’s why it only became an issue as the weather got warmer.

I literally bought that today and cleaned them, it seemed to do a good job.

I checked the coolant and it is at normal levels. This has been going on for months, so even a small leak would likely have produced lower levels by now. Plus, not using the heat, so not sure how that would be causing the film to form.

Your idea is as good as any.

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

My car is in full sun all day, at work and at home, and it does get insanely hot. Wonder if that’s why it only became an issue as the weather got warmer.

I checked the coolant and it is at normal levels. This has been going on for months, so even a small leak would likely have produced lower levels by now. Plus, not using the heat, so not sure how that would be causing the film to form.

If you don't have a coolant or oil leak then its most likely the plastics, vinyl, rubber off gassing from the heat as Monadnocks said. My wife's Subaru with an all black interior did it when it was new the first year a few times in the heat. Opened the door and it was like new car smell times 100. Try cracking the windows or sunroof if you have one. It does help.

Heads up to those using heating oil.  Lots of signs are showing heating oil potentially costing $8+ a gallon this winter.

A Storm Brews in Heating Oil: Elements by Javier Blas

The US and Europe are running out of time to refill storage tanks.

Today’s Take: The Storm Brewing in Heating Oil

Heating oil is not what naturally comes to mind in the middle of August — particularly during a heat wave in Europe. Moreover, the market appears calm on the surface, with prices down 30% since March.

Dig a bit deeper, though, and there’s a storm brewing.

America and Europe ordinarily use the low-demand seasons of spring and summer to rebuild their stocks of middle distillates — heating oil and diesel — for use during the winter. So far, they have largely failed to do so.

In the US, middle-distillate inventories typically increase by 20 million barrels from mid-April to mid-September. However, stocks are up by only 2 million barrels this time as refiners concentrate on making gasoline and overseas demand drains local stocks. In Europe, the situation is similar.

The US East Coast is of particular concern. The region is home to New York Harbor, the pricing point for US heating oil. It’s also where the demand is: of the roughly 5.3 million households that use heating oil in America, more than 80% are in the Northeast. On a seasonal level, East Coast middle-distillate inventories are the lowest since at least 1992.

Typically, stocks start falling there by mid-September, and soon after in the rest of America and Europe, suggesting the industry has all but run out of time to rebuild the buffer.

High prices will be needed to force demand down and avoid running out of supply. But even high prices may not dent consumption enough because German industrial companies are switching from gas to oil, using more heating oil and diesel for electricity and steam production.

Ironically, Europe is for now relying on Russian diesel to fill the gap, with imports in June and July rebounding to prewar levels. Starting in February, however, Europe won’t be allowed to import Russian diesel as sanctions over the Ukraine invasion take effect. By then, the heating oil market may feel as hot as the weather does now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TwoDogNight said:

On those of us that heat with fuel oil....

Trying to reconcile that article with the mid winter futures contracts...

https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/future/ho.1  Big betters...buy Feb 2023 contract now and make 2.5x your money in 6 months?

But either way my stove will be busy...

PXL_20220402_185202501.jpg

I have a wood stove too and just had a hybrid heat/central ac installed so might get by on very little oil. I need it for hot water and if the temps get real cold. Most years I use one tank, this year I hope to cut it in half. Fortunately I have a full tank right now.

16 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

That’s the cleaner stuff that I meant. I used that and it helped as well.